Now that's a big pawpaw cluster!

Had to remove one from the cluster that split from rain, but there are 7 left. I’m entering it into the local fair next week.

25 Likes

Best of luck…hope they keep that long. Nice fruit.

1 Like

What variety is that?

1 Like

No clue, various grafts and ‘improved’ seedlings are all mixed up. Squirrels took my tags years ago.

2 Likes

You have a local fair that even knows what a pawpaw is?!?! :rofl:

3 Likes

Yup, I’m entering pawpaws, figs, and persimmons among a ton of other things.

3 Likes

There is a lot of Paw Paw fairs specifically where items are made out of Paw Paw or are sold. I believe Weird Fruit Explorer made a video of a Paw Paw fair he went to.

4 Likes

Oh yes - there are several pawpaw-themed fairs and such, but not many State or County fairs that would award a best pawpaw, I don’t believe…

2 Likes

My local fair is probably an outlier. I’m entering around 30 things… pumpkins, tomatoes, pears, honey, etc.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s really neat! Come back and tell us how it went for you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My county fair used to recognize pawpaws. Via the library of Congress I found an old newspaper story from 1905 where best pawpaw was awarded.
Nowadays? Almost everyone would think you’re talking about a Best Grandfather contest.

6 Likes

Surprisingly my pawpaw’s didn’t even place! There were some really nice ones. I won around 20 other ribbons, though.

11 Likes

Wow though!
My season is so early here that I could never enter pawpaws in a contest like Ohio Pawpaw Festival.
I’d have to start my own festival :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Do it! I think our society needs more fair type things.

2 Likes

I took these pictures today. I thinned a lot of the clusters down to only two or three per cluster but I left a few clusters intact when I was thinning them. This is KSU Atwood. Notice the second picture has a siamese twin.

12 Likes

Winning fair pawpaws vs mine. I was able to save them from the trash to get the seeds.

8 Likes

Good score!!

3 Likes