'Obsidian' Blackberry Source?

No worries at all, I’ve checked with one green world they don’t have that varietie sadly anymore it’s hard to find.

Hows is obsidian blackberry? Herd its kida like Marionberry for flavor? And ita very thorny lol

I like the flavor,but have never done a taste test with Marionberry,which is one of the best.Yes,it’s best to wear hand protection,when working with the canes.

@Bradybb Hello! Would you still be able to propagate some Obsidian blackberry? I’d be happy to purchase a couple plants from you. I’m near Seattle.

The only place I’ve found them is nurseries in the UK, and they won’t export to the US.

Hi,
Quite possibly.It will be late Spring into Summer though.

I have considered adding them for their reported earliness… I need blackberries that ripen before July (first week)…

Found the youtube above, not a lot of details, but shows what they look like and they look pretty good to me.

A few more details I found online…

Obsidian Blackberry

DESCRIPTION

Released in 2005, the Obsidian blackberry was developed in Oregon and has Marion, Olallie and Boysen berries in its parentage. The berries are large, of good firmness, with small to medium sized seeds, a deep black color, and are of excellent flavor. They are an early harvest variety, with ripe fruit often available in mid to late June. Obsidian Blackberries can be eat fresh if found at local markets, or can be frozen for year round use.

Plant: high yielding, hardy, thorny

If they start ripening June 25 in Oregon State… probably May 25 for me here in Southern TN.
In Oregon Loganberries reportedly ripen in July… for me here they start May 25.

Galaxy seems to be a better choice… in some ways better than Triple Crown. Also early ripening.

I may take a look at it myself.

Article from the creator Chad Finn (deceased).

@krismoriah … those do look good… but noticed he said they are not as early as trailing varieties… ripen with Ouachita…

The last half of my ouachitaw berry ripening period… they were infested with SWD.

A blackberry that ripens a week or two earlier than those is what I really need SWD wise.

in the PNW. They havent done much if any trials in the East on any of them. Who knows what they will do here in the East.

The only info he has on ripening is Triple Crown which he created.

I do hate when they patent something and talk it up then you cant buy it anywhere… like whats the point of creating all these varieties if they dont sell any.

One place has Galaxy and its $19 per plant. That kinda defeats the purpose of them creating these varieties.

Obsidian was created in 1995 and you cant buy it anywhere either.

Maybe they sell them in box stores out west?

I have an excellent early one, but it’s very thorny. Cherokee from the Arkansas program. It’s sweet enough that I can eat them still red
(before the cardinals go crazy on them) and they are great like that. Let me know if you want a little one.

Next I am trying prime ark freedom.

They double crop…

Late May/early June … then again in the fall…

That is ideal since my SWD peak is with our wild blackberries… first week in July until mid August.

All my raspberries and logans ripen perfectly… they start ripening late May and finish up end of June… or early July… then my everbearing types ripen again in fall late August … into November.

May try some of the trailing varieties like obsidian… to see if they will actually ripen May-June here. May have to winter protect.

Have you looked at Columbia Sunrise?

The Columbia Sunrise variety is known as the earliest ripening trailing blackberry currently on the market. Its berries have fantastic flavor and sweetness with an average BRIX of 13 %

https://www.emcocal.com/columbia-sunrise-blackberry/

Yes… sunrise star giant… all considered.

Sunrise being the earliest ripening so I may try it first with obsidian…

The cold hardiness of those is the question.
May require winter protection here.

That would be amazing and I would very much appreciate it. I can be patient!

@Bradybb or anyone,

Are you still offering? Would you have some available, please?

My particular plant,may be on the way out.There aren’t a lot of new canes being produced.If possible though,I’ll try to get some started this year.

1 Like

@SamA … i got two obsidian last fall from one green world.

Kris had called and talked to them and found out they had some … even though they were not listed in their catalog or website.

He let them know some (including me) were looking for them… and they at least temporarily showed them online…

I bought two… planted them last fall.

Not sure if they still have any but you might try calling them.

TNHunter

1 Like

Thank you.

Thank you. For some reason, one green world is overly expensive vs other nurseries such as raintree nursery (but they don’t have this one).