'Obsidian' Blackberry Source?

@SamA… yes I know what you mean… they are expensive and I paid a hefty price for those two blackberries… but it was something I really wanted to try.

This spring… I really wanted a IKKJ Persimmon to start… and paid 81.20 for one shipping and all. Yikes… Fruit trees are getting outrageous in price.

I did find plums and mulberries at reasonable prices 28.00-38.00.

1 Like

You can also try whitmanfarms in Salem, OR. I have been to her farm, the owner is super nice, Lucile. Although, I could not reach her for some time.

1 Like

@SamA … i bought a Silk Hope mulberry from her recently. … talked to her by phone and … yes… she was very nice and the price was reasonable… 30.00.

1 Like

Oh, good to hear that she is responding, it must have been she was busy in the past

By the way, here is an example of unjustifiably high prices…raspberries

$17.95 vs $6.95

SamA, nope. Don’t go there. Willis is a known supplier of misidentified plants. You really do get what you pay for.

@TNHunter

Eclipse is showing up slowly in nurseries. I got 3 in the ground a couple of weeks ago.

I think its the earliest ripening of that series… and interesting to you that its daddy is Illini Hardy.

Should be fairly cold hardy as well as heat tolerant.

Canby isnt really worth growing compared to Joan J if your interested in thornless. Nice canes but smallish tasteless berries that ripen late. If you havent tried other raspberries you would think it was good however.

As for prices… all you really need is to start with one plant… and that plant will give you hundreds of free plants in a matter of a couple of years…

You can actually make money selling plants they send up so many plants.

If you are looking to buy alot of plants for cheap in the PNW you should call Weeks Berry Nursery. She sells in lots of 10 and is very reasonable.

@SamA … i agree with kris on red rasbpberries… that you dont really need more than one or two for starters.

I started 3 heritage reds spring 2020… and in spring 2021 (per my garden log) propigated 16 more that spring from rootshoots. Pic below of some of those.

I have moved them to 4 other beds now… got them growing all over. I bet easily 100 or more.

You can move 3 to a new location, new bed… and a year later you have 30 or more there. Have to thin them and leave only the best ones.

In my food forest bed they spread on their own about 6 ft a year. The ones that come up in the bed in good location i thin and keep. Others come up outside the bed in the grass and get mowed.

@krismoriah … Eclipse = thornless.
Obsidian has thorns and is very early.

The only thornless blackberry i have tried so far is ouachitaw… and i had to apply bird protection… the birds wore them out. Hate that.

I have never had bird issues with my thorned illini blackberries or thorned raspberries. I will keep thorned varieties as long as i can.