Ok, help me understand fruit size

Lol… Tree only had 5-8 fruit total. Hahaha!! After wind storms, birds, etc we were left with 3.

nice…um… pray for bigger fruit? It’s potted…what size container? it’s still young right? Give it a year or 3… I’m still figuring things out here. My pluots all seem roughly normal size, so do the donut peaches… I have a lot of peaches holding on the potted trees, so i’ll be able to share what i find out with regards to fruit size here in the next 60 days or so.

Yeah… potted right now. Really should go in ground. In a 10 gallon pot because it was supposed to be temp storage… that was a year ago.

I know I’ve probably asked you before, but humor me again. What do you use as a potting medium, do you feed with anything, what kind of pots do you use, what size, etc. You have been doing the trees in pots thing longer than me. Any thing that you might do would be helpful.

1 Like

Black plastic pots you get from greenhousemegastore or whatever it’s called. I use 15 gallon and now i have some 25 gallon for fruiting stuff. Mix is just woodchips/perlite/maybe compost/maybe peat moss…basically whatever comes to the lowest price. Fertilize a lot. Something with everything…micros. I hit them with a grass fert (30-0-0) usually a couple times (all that wood chip can’t be good for N). One thing i’m noticing over the years is that the soil level drops quickly. So if i pot them up in the spring, by the following spring i probably got 6 inches less of material…so i pull the rootball and add more to the bottom (it seems to work)…i should be root pruning when i do that…maybe next spring.

10 is probably small. I have a pluot with fruit that is like 7 gallons and i think i’m going to have some tiny fruits. Maybe they’ll ripen faster. I was going to pot it in the ground, but i think i’ll bud it to another tree and just get rid of that one.

1 Like

Well yes I was, I can’t speak for the others! I could collect hundreds of those slugs, some are even bigger. I thought if I had to, but no otherwise they will not pass my lips! Bait, they tend to fall off the hook. But a good use for them! I wanted to go fishing this weekend, but was too busy at my cottage.

2 Likes

Do yours get root pruned at all?Brady

I haven’t yet…i need to research it some more. I think i’ll lose a year of fruit production when i do. The 2 4in1 pluots should both be pulled and root pruned/we’ll see…A lot of the stuff is still young.

Not from root pruning in dormant season. At least I never have. Renewal pruning of the top can be another issue. But that can be done one part at a time and not all at once.

Yeah that says it all absolutely not! Again though I was joking!! That slug btw is not a garden slug. It is a forest slug. It feeds on rotting oak, and maple and other rotting woods. They do not eat green material. They don’t bother gardens, so not a pest.

THis whole slug thing has been very humorous- no matter how badly I shudder at the thought. Now, @mrsg47 I don’t know which is worse…that someone out there felt there was enough possible interest in eating slugs to write an article about why not to do it, or that you (apparently) knew about said article! hahaha. Of course, I thank you none the less. Now at least I can justify my refusal to try one with something more than “they give me the willies”. :slight_smile: Anyway, I think you and lots of others have at least shown you’ve got a great sense of humor and it’s certainly been an usual discussion to say the least.
As for Drew…just look at all the trouble you caused with one little wisecrack about eating slugs! hahaha. I am, of course, relieved to hear that you were only kidding, but at a time when they have television shows dedicated to nothing but eating unpleasant things (Bizarre Foods), I just wasn’t sure!

That’s kind of a crap article, no offense. There’s a parasite that slugs OR snails can pick up from infected rats, and there are a few very small regions in the United States at risk. The risk is 100% ameliorated by cooking. You ALSO have the same risk from eating lettuce the slugs crawled over if, the slugs are infected.

That article should be called, “Cook Snails OR Slugs before eating, and wash hands after handling, or just don’t eat slugs if you have rats”.

Well that’s good. hey i was a med tech, and I don’t recall ever running into this parasite, so yeah it’s rare. Also snails crawl though lot’s of stuff I eat, so I should be dead by now. Although you have totally failed in convincing me to try them. :dizzy_face:

Of course, cause you can’t get slugs with the disease if you don’t have infected rats, so it becomes a non issue because no one chooses slugs if you have perfectly delicious rats available.

2 Likes

LOL HA! Of course! Tastes like chicken! I have never seen a rat by my house. I hope to keep it that way!

Same here…not sure there are rats in this area? I’ve seen muskrats…

Give me some wild Canadian walleyes over your slugs.

1 Like

I fish for walleye all the time. Giving me ideas!

Its a drive from here (7 hrs). My nephew goes to Rainy Lake which is a border lake/river (think it connects to Lake of the Woods). They catch a lot of big walleyes up there, but you can’t keep anything but the small stuff…so it can take a bit to catch eaters.

When i was younger we did a float plane trip out of a place in Ontario. That was pretty cool… it was a river system that you could really get lost in.

Around here (Mississippi River) they have to be 15 inches or more. You can keep sauger (similar to walleye) of any size…but usually those are little harder to come by.

We are supposed to have sauger around her too, but I never saw one. I fish for perch and walleye only. My son likes to catch other fish small and large mouths, northern pike. I just like perch and walleye, some others sure, bluegill, crappie I’ll keep too.

1 Like

Rob, I bought a bag of Honey Lite nectarines from Sams Club as well. Mine were over ripe and too soft for my taste. My daughter liked them a lot but for me they needed a little more acid to go with that super sweet flavor. I should probably go buy another bag and look for some that aren’t overly ripe.