Orchard orientation

I’m getting ready to start measuring and flagging spots for my new trees coming in March. I’m trying not to overthink things, but realize I better do things right the first time since it will likely be this way for a very long time. I am going to plant 6 rows of 6 trees with all the rows going east and west and each row offset. I will be planting 2 rows of pear (semi dwarf rootstock), 2 rows of peach (standard rootstock), 1 row of jujube, and 1 row of hybrid persimmons. What order would you plant these from north to south? I will be planting part this year and part next year so some rows will not be full this year. I know what I’m thinking but thought I would ask people with a lot more experience than me on what they think. Thanks

@Barkslip @Drew51 @clarkinks @Derby42 You guys have offered great advice for me up to this point. Do you guys have any recommendations on this or am I overthinking this?

Why not just one row…that starts at one corner and ends up spiraling to the center of the plot? You’d enjoy walking past every tree to get to the center. :slight_smile

I’ve got my thoughts in process but (we) need to know if you’re going to maintain/prune your pears and peaches.

You may certainly as well do the same with persimmon or you can allow them to grow into trees which takes time.

Jujubes I would allow to grow w/o pruning.

Thanks, Clint.

Dax

I do plan to heavily prune the peaches, pears, and persimmons to keep them at a manageable height. My planned spacing right now is 15 feet between trees and 15 feet between rows.

1 Like

Very simple:

South = peaches
Going north from peaches = pears
Persimmons are next (maybe)
Jujubes are last (maybe)

Now I don’t know how quickly a jujube grows so it maybe be the row above pears and finishing with persimmons.

I think you may be pruning jujubes too at some point if your plan is to prune persimmons. So technically it does not matter if your last two rows at the north end/longest lived trees are persimmons and then jujubes or jujubes then persimmons. My gut definitely tells me to plant jujubes at row 5 and persimmons at row 6.

Dax

Thanks a ton for the advice, I am going into this with very little experience, just a lot of reading, much appreciated!

1 Like

Perfect spacing at 15’

Dax

You’re not over thinking this, you need to place carefully. A lot of good advice so far.
I like the offset rows, this has worked for me allowing them to be closer without getting in the way. Tallest trees north. I’m not familiar with all of them so. Peaches south makes sense since pruned they are not that big. Although grow fast. What spacing are you looking at?

I was thinking 15 feet between rows and 15 feet between trees on everything unless someone changes my mind.

That is a lot room and you should have no issues. I went with 8 feet as my yard is small, and I’m happy with it. It is a little crowded at times, but all trees have a full southern exposure. Between the trees at 4 feet are young black currant bushes.
You can see some of my trees from a picture I took 2 days ago here.

1 Like

@drew51 Those trees and currants look great, you are doing a great job of maximizing production. I was thinking of trying currants or raspberries between mine in the future, but not this year. Have you tried anything else between your trees that likes a little shade?

No, Honeyberries would work too.

1 Like

Duckhunter,

I might add that if you aren’t using raised plantings, plant your peaches in the most well drained spot. In a past discussion you mentioned you are on river bottom ground. Central KS has pretty rocky soil, which drains well, but bottom land can have drainage issues, which is pretty hard on peaches.

Also, if you are planting on a hill, plant the peaches for the best air drainage (i.e. highest spot). They generally bloom earlier than pears and persimmons (I’ve never grown Jujube, so I don’t know when they bloom).

2 Likes