Organza bags effectiveness

@tubig … i have not tried them on plums yet… i just started two new plum trees this year… lost fruit to a late frost.

I dont bag my figs until they start showing ripe color… nothing really bothers them until they start ripening.

On blueberries… i need to get some bags on now… i have just a few getting ripe now… and even when about half ripe… the dang birds are getting them or leaving some half eaten still hanging on, pecked to death.

I will deploy my flash tape and bags… hopefully tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m betting a deep fryer would though. :grin:

2 Likes

A late freeze hit right when my Montmorency Cherry tree was in full bloom. It only set about a dozen fruit which I knew wasn’t enough to put much effort towards. Just to be able to say I got one fruit though I put an organza bag on a single cherry. They ripened yesterday and birds made short work of them. All but that one…

7 Likes

I tied my plums last year as soon as I could see them. tied around the branch trying not to break the stem. I had a lot of fruit dropped because it was the first year that tree had plums on it I think- those that were bagged in the nylon, ripened and were ok. we got a few.

that tree had a lot of plums on it last year but most dropped. this year it only had a few blossoms. hoping to get one or two at least, I’ll bag them as soon as I see them, I put the bag around then tie it to the branch.

1 Like

@resonanteye just to be clear, you don’t tighten on the fruits stem first, then tie around the branch it attaches to, correct?

1 Like

Where did you get them?

1 Like

I’m a little curious if anyone has tried bagging the whole tree with something like this? I’ve never, but have wondered how well it works. I assume squirrels would chew through pretty handily, but it might work for bugs.

2 Likes

yes, around the fruit, tighten to the stem, tie to the branch. I did break some stems! it was hard to tighten them without breaking. I got them on like amazon or wish, nylon net bags with tie. they were really cheap. @murky

you can bend them so they don’t touch the fruit which is good. squirrels will probably discover they can pull them off this year.

1 Like

I did this the year we had brood x 17 year cicadas for my young fruit trees… they worked great. I made sure to secure it tightly around the trunk or around the base of the pots…I only had a few insects find their way inside. Nothing really could get at the fruit…I had a great crop of unblemished peaches that year. I also have used them on blueberry bushes in other years with zero loss to birds or chipmunks/squirrels. Negatives include: ability to water by hand can require some maneuvering, ability to closely observe the condition of the tree for brewing disease (it’s not opaque but it’s not transparent either), and deformed branches due to the way it pulls on growing tips. I imagine that something could chew through it if driven, but it didn’t happen for me.

3 Likes

@Buckeye did you notice if the fruits were less sweet or tasty after using this? Im imagining itl be like having cloudy days (less sun) everytime this is on.

@tubig … i have left grape clusters bagged with organza bags for 2-3 weeks… and did not notice any reduction of flavor.

My seedless concords are quite flavorful… and they ripen just a few at a time. The whole cluster does not ripen at once… just a few at a time for 2-3 weeks will ripen.

Organza bags work great on them… i get most of the grapes… birds do not.

With figs… i put a bag on when they first start showing ripe color… and usually 3 4 5 days later have a perfectly ripe fig… with no insect or bird damage. They are perfect and so flavorful… just awesome fruit.

I have never trired bagging fruit for extended timeframe… like months… but i am sure some others here have tried that.

You might try searching on “bagging fruit”. I have seen some threads on that in the past.

1 Like

I did not notice any difference. I think the type I used lets in 90% of light so no big reduction. I did this for younger dwarf trees… the only reason I haven’t continued is that it is getting impossible to do this for a bigger tree and it does deform the branches to some degree.

2 Likes

@tubig

Bird mutilated blueberries… arg !

Flash tape in place… this helps some… but they seem to get used to it after a while… and then mostly ignore it.

Cluster of BB before and after bagging. Not too much light restriction… some but not bad.

2 Likes

What kind of birds do that,small ones that peck?Here mostly Robins,take the berry down in one swallow.

1 Like

So far so good with protecting front yard stawberries.

6 Likes

@Bradybb … brown thrush, mocking birds, wrens, cardinals, etc…

I am off work today and enjoying some front porch rocking chair time this early morning… just saw a brown thrush land in one of my raspberry patches and he got a few berries… despite the thorns.

When he left a rabbit bounded out of the field and into my food forest bed. Something has been getting my strawberries there… i eliminated one suspect. 17 hmr… 30 yards… goner.

3 Likes

@lordkiwi without the bag, what problems do you get on the strawberries?

Pill bugs or mice will eat my strawberries, I never tried the bag before. But the fragrance is incredible, how can the mice resist hem.

1 Like

Squirlels and chipmunks have not taken any yet, no random bird pecks. The berries are being protected from dirt splashing and being embedded in dirt or leaves as they get heaver and fall to the ground.

@SoCalGardenNut pill bugs are my major pest from strawberries so hopefully organza bags work.

1 Like