Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Just took a walk through the patch of old growth forest near my house, looks like the wild berries will be starting to ripen soon!

Usually the osoberries ripen first, but I think the cold spring has pushed them back a bit. Good fruit set, but they seem a few weeks off still:

The salmonberries are mostly still just finishing flowering, but a few sunnier patches are already starting to color up:

Trailing blackberry is just starting to flower basically:

Ditto for thimbleberries:

And a couple other flowering trees and shrubs I donā€™t recognize (second one looks like some kind of cherry or plum maybe?):

6 Likes

Unk. pic #1 is hawthorne. Probably Crataegus monogyna

Unk. pic #2 is probably native crabapple Malus fusca, but I canā€™t tell with certainty from that pic.

1 Like

I got an update on the fruit bush / tree. Apparently it is an Asiatic cornelian cherry. Even though it has ā€œcornelian cherryā€ in the name, it appears to be a separate species. I think this might be a Cornus officinalis. I thought the fruit tastes pretty good.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/cornus-officinalis/

I should walk over to Reed College and see it the thimbleberries there are abloom.

1 Like

We used to have a bunch of thimbleberries at the border of our property. But the neighbors thoughtfully cleared the vegetation on their side and took most of them out :frowning:

murky: My wife just discovered an unlabeled frozen cooked batch of your Frost peaches from last year, so they are still being eaten.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good. This year, will only have a few. It didnā€™t set well, and I pruned it aggressively, and attempted some plum grafts, since it was getting bare wood for the first 6 feet. Trying to get new growth closer to the ground.

Anyone growing Chilean Hazelnut (Gevuina avellana) in the maritime northwest? Soil type and location?
One Green Worldā€™s promotion has me intrigued.

1 Like

Tried grafting undercover persimmons on Wedā€¦ but, darn it, weā€™re back to 10 days of low 60ā€™s!

7 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing. Letā€™s keep thinking about this for gardening this year.
John S
PDX OR

How are the hoop house figs doing for you? I know a guy in Germany who has an ongoing quest to get fruit from his fig trees. I think he is also a zone 6, though certainly a much wetter version than eastern Washington. So do you uncover them during the warmer months and then protect them when the cold winds start to blow? Are you familiar with the so called Chicago Hardy fig? I donā€™t know much about it, just that many people recommend it for colder regions. I have no clue if it stays outdoors all winter or if it must come in or live in a greenhouse. Iā€™m kind of a figgy lunatic so I like learning how people make it happen. Iā€™m often shocked how so few people grow figs here on the west side of the Cascades. Iā€™m not suggesting itā€™s uncommon, just not as widespread as I expected. I moved here from California where figs are a weed, and fully expected to see way more fig trees growing in the various nooks and crannies of this region. The only thing I can think to do is be a fig pusher. I have dozens and dozens of baby fig trees I start in my greenhouse which I give away to anybody willing to take them.

1 Like

Iā€™m east of the mountains so itā€™s a lot more dry, but the winter is far too cold. the hoophouse is insulated with bubble wrap and has a small heater that keeps it above 37Ā°F inside in winter. I use a shade cloth over it to keep them asleep. only one is in the ground so far, this year Iā€™ve got big plans for rebuilding parts.

I do get negronne and Chicago Hardy to eat so far, each year. Iā€™m hoping that my rebuilding plan, with the figs in ground, will give me more.

any fig will die to the ground here in winter and it may even kill the roots. I donā€™t like to do the work of burying or wrapping trees so they go in the hoophouse into spring. they live with no protection at all in full sun from spring until fall. when I lived in Oregon, coastal region, I had a big fig tree in my yard that was fine

edit also Iā€™ll take any cutting or scion or start youā€™ve got, Iā€™m obsessed with these lol

Yeah, the figs grow really well here on this side of the mountains. Iā€™m in the Willamette Valley and there are some huge trees in these parts loaded with sweet figs that I feast on. Mine are still rather young, but I got a nice little crop from the desert king and neverella last summer. This spring I started a fig nursery in my greenhouse and rooted 40 cuttings from 10 varieties. The cuttings all came from successful trees in the Pacific Northwest. One in particular is from a massive tree down the road thatā€™s covered with probably 1000 of the sweetest green figs by August. I mean this tree has got to be 30 feet wide. Reminds me of the mission fig trees from my childhood in Southern California. So, anyway, Iā€™d be happy to share some of what I have. Iā€™ll send you a direct message with the list.

2 Likes

My name is David
I live in Port Orchard
mostly interested in Figs and Grapes- especially muscat flavor grapes.
I grew out a bunch of Turkish fig from seeds. They are doing well - interesting variations in growth habits.
Always interested in trading.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll direct message you with my list of plants to trade.

Has to be a new record for rain and overcast weather here in Port Orchard
Lots of Apple Scab
Poor fruit set
:snail: slugs are happy.

1 Like

Havenā€™t had time or even the inclination to wrap my apples for maggots. Already see evidence of maggots around.
This is going to be a bad year.

Theyā€™ve discovered my pawpaws again now that they are finally leafing out, seems to be one of their favorite snacks in my yard. Might have to put copper around them or something, last year one of them had like 80% of the foliage eaten by slugs even though I went out with a flashlight and picked them off basically nightly.

Iā€™ve been doing the night-pluck. Had to put copper banding around bell pepper stems.

It turned out to be aphids. I began spraying weekly, detergent with neem oil. Totally eradicated them. All the new leaves are healthy. Unfortunately, it wasnā€™t in time to save this yearā€™s plum crop. Looks like Iā€™m only going to get about 20.