Pavia ( canning peach type ) variety Jalon

Hi guys.
I usually grow a huge number of varieties, mainly stone fruit and also good apples, pears, cherries etc …
Due to a very cold spring frost I have lost more than 95% of my harvest.
In my region this type of late spring frosts are very atypical (once every 20 years), but this year it has happened to me and there is not much to show (apples and pears coming soon)
I could put pictures of last year’s harvest but that seems unfair towards other members , so next year I will put pictures of the varieties harvested from my orchard.

The Jalon variety is a late flowering Pavia ( canning peach ein english ) and some fruits have been saved from the frost, so it is worth getting to know it.

This variety of Pavia , It is obtention from the Spanish breeder Provedo

• Pavia (it is the Spanish name for the canning peach) variety Jalon

Keep in mind , that when the maturity date approaches I have the trees in deficit irrigation conditions

I show you some images

Fruits in the box

Pavia Jalon in hand

Pavia Jalon weight

Pavia Jalon harvest date

Pavia Jalon open

Preparing refractometer

Squeezing juice

Performing measurement

First measurement

Second measurement

These varieties of canning peach type of Provedo Nursery, are characterized by being fruit of the highest quality.
They have a good fruit size
Firmness is excellent
The aroma is incredible (the whole house smells of peach)
the pure outer yellow color (no red veneer) is gorgeous
They are varieties of subacid flavor with very high brix values of sugars

A real peach delight of the canning peach type

I hope you all like it

Regards
Jose

14 Likes

Is it a “canning peach” only because of cling stone? Given that the texture, aroma and size are good and brix is high, anything else that stops it being a fresh eating variety?

1 Like

Really nice color on those peaches!

Hi californicus, the English term Canning Peach is a bad google translation, but the term cling stone or freestone cannot be used either because there are some varieties of this type of Pavias that are cling stone and other freestone.

So that you can understand it better, we will start with its variety of origin which is the Calanda Peach (Calanda is a town in the Spanish province of Teruel), and where this type of peaches originates from.

It has a protected Denomination of Origin:
This is the “D.O. peach of Calanda”, whose original variety is called “yellow peach of Calanda”, and subsequently three clones protected by the designation of origin have been obtained:

• Jesca
  • Evaisa
  • Calante

It is very important to know that all these varieties are very late maturing:

It is a delicious melecoton for consumption fresh (one of the most appreciated and expensive varieties on the market), and is characterized by having a large fruit size, a lot of firmness of the meat, very aromatic, and extra-sweet.

Since it is a type of peach highly demanded by the markets (national and international), the Spanish stone fruit breeder Provedo, developed varieties of this type of peach, maintaining quality as much as possible (in very early harvest varieties it is impossible), but in the varieties of harvesting semi-early, seasonal, and late there are some fantastic varieties.
In my orchard I have practically the entire collection of this type of peaches obtained by Provedo.
The best are these:

• Jalon
  • Jerte
  • Leyre
  • Poblet
  • Ebro
  • Veruela
  • Duero
  • Tietar

You can see them here

These peach varieties are real wonders

Hi ztom, Yes.
The exterior color of these peaches is really incredible, the varieties have to have a clean yellow skin color without red veneer.
If they have a red veneer on the skin (for example the Carson, Romea, or Miraflores varieties) they are not so valued.
They are excellent varieties, but the market demands a perfect yellow external color.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes