Paw paw

Pawpaws are on schedule again this year.

Tony

Shenandoah

Wabash

Susquehanna

Halvin

Seedlings pawpaw

Mango

Fruit trees stand

17 Likes

Man those trees look healthy. What kind of soil do you have?

1 Like

Tony,
If and when the Kentucky Champion and Merrill Pawpaw produce fruit,I’d like to know how they compare to your others,especially the Merrill. Thanks,Brady

1 Like

Look great, Tony. Your edible sidewalk trees are fabulous.

3 Likes

Mostly farm land partly clay.

Sure Brady. Hopefully those two pawpaw seedlings will flowers next year so I can update for you. I remember you told me that were good in Fremont CA.

1 Like

Yeah, edibles wind breaker!!! Mamuang, @RNeal

Tony

That’s a lot of fruit! Do you hand pollinate them?

Yes, with a small paint brush

Love the way you have those trees along the sidewalk. Also curious of your report on Kentucky Champion.

1 Like

Mind boggling to me how much fruit you get to eat. Your production at your home is amazing. Good job!

Dax

2 Likes

Mango sizing up. It has a little give to it when squeezed, but bounces back. Should I pick or wait a bit? It has minimal fragrance.

This is a 3rd leaf tree from Just fruits and exotics and was 4ft with very thick trunk when I got it.
Strong grower and already 8ft tall. My 5th leaf susquehanna is 6ft with no fruit and same age Shenandoah is 3ft tall hahahaha. It’s working through some issues.

6 Likes

It’s too green. There needs to be yellow color. And you may need to allow it to get quite soft on your kitchen counter if you pick it too early whilst yellow color still. A ripe pawpaw is soft w/o hardness.

Dax

1 Like

If you have a lot of fruits then eat one now to see the different stage of ripening. Eat the next one in a week and so on. Just take some notes to see which stage of ripeming you like the best. The softer the fruit the more sweet and intense pawpaw fragrance and that fragrance is too strong for some folks. I liked the fragrance not too strong. A medium rare guy.

Tony

1 Like

Tony’s right. Simply stated.

You may likely know but if you pick a pawpaw that is hard it will not ripen. Just be sure it has that give.

@barry

Dax

2 Likes

Just picked it. It has some give that does not bounce back. 11 oz. Upon closer inspection it has no aroma. On the wild trees I go to, they are v
aromatic at this same stage of softness if I remember correctly. I’m going to let it sit on the counter for a day or two.

1 Like

If you’ve not eaten a ‘Mango’, I’d love to hear your feedback.

I remember thinking it is one of the best pawpaws I had ever eaten after trying a minimum of eight cultivars of which included Susquehanna and Shenandoah. It had a different flavor than any of the ‘best of the best’ and I somehow categorized it in my mind as a ‘best of the best’ all to itself.

Dax

1 Like

I ate the mango today. Was just how I like it. I’m a medium rare guy like Tony. It tasted good. Probably a bit less strong flavored than the local seedlings I’ve had, which is good because some of those can be kind of funky. But overall flavor not radically different than seedling other than size. I’ve got two more good sized ones and a baby I will let hang another day or two.

4 Likes

Now i have Paw Paw Sunflower, Prima 12 16, Wabash, Susquehanna, Shenandoah, Potomac and KSU Atwood, but i want some more like Overleese, Mango, Sibley, Convis, Lynns Favoritte, Tollgate, Maria’s Joy, Halvin, Summer Delight, NC 1, Nyomi’s Delicious…

My Sunflower Pawpaw trees are the bigest ones but no fruits yet… (photo from last summer)

4 Likes

Sunflower pawpaw fruits

4 Likes