Pawpaw fruitlets!

I have been growing Pawpaws from seed for a few years now. The seedlings are doing okay, but they have been very slow growing. Last year I ordered and planted three seedling trees from a nursery that were between three and four feet tall. This spring, to my amazement, one of them actually flowered. I fully expected that nothing would come of it, knowing that Pawpaws need proper cross-pollination. With that said, it has been a couple weeks since petal-fall, and I have a dozen fruitlets still hanging, and more importantly so far, growing on the tree. I hope that they keep going! Anyone ever have a single Pawpaw flower and still produce fruit?

13 Likes

That is good news. You may have a self-fruitful pawpaw just like Sunflower. It could be a Sunflower seedling.

Tony

4 Likes

I really hope so!

1 Like

That looks like a pretty good fruit set if they stick. My neighbor has a couple that are close 15+ feet high and he doesn’t get a whole lot more fruit setting per tree. Congratulations.

1 Like

Hope it/they turn out delicious.

Best of luck.

Dax

1 Like

Great news! Awesome to see. From what nursery did you order them from?

1 Like

Grimo Nut Nursery in Niagara On The Lake, Ontario, Canada. I’m in Toronto.

2 Likes

Congrats. One of my two pawpaws flowers but nothing to cross pollinated it with. After 3 years, they still about 2 ft tall.

1 Like

My bigest sunflower pawpaw tree, fruiting for the first time!

7 Likes

Sunflower pawpaw fruits… for the first time!!! :grin:

6 Likes

My one Overleese is still hanging on.bb

11 Likes

My Sunflower pawpawfruits…

7 Likes

Mine Taytwo.

5 Likes

Pawpaw fruits :blush:

2 Likes

What ever came of this? Did you end up getting any fruit? I planted some paw paw seedlings that were specially grown in root maker pots this year. It had 5 blooms on it. They all opened and dropped, but one. I took a picture of it today:

3 Likes

They are small fruitlets, congratulations! :+1:
Praying they don’t fall… :pray:

1 Like

Thank so much, @Luisport !

2 Likes

You welcome… :+1:

Anything can happen but that cluster has the right-angle to the trunk/branch which typically means pollination was successful!

1 Like