Pawpaw trees in Seattle

Some apples are self-fertile. There are actually quite a few of them with some degree of self-fertility.

4 Likes

I think so too.

Hi Vincent,
Is it available to get some Pawpaw pollen?Any variety but Overleese.

1 Like

I will have a lot of pawpaw pollen but not now.
All flowers are not ready to bloom yet. Still tiny.

1 Like

Those flowers already look a week or two in front of mine! I think only one of mine will be flowering this year - iā€™d love to trade some pollen :slight_smile:

Hi Cory,
Welcome to the forum.I can send some Overleese pollen,if wanted.Is your location in Seattle?

1 Like

That would be great! And yep, Iā€™m in North Seattle.
Mine (that is flowering) simply says itā€™s a "Northern cold tolerant Common PawPaw " - I have 3 younger ones that arenā€™t flowering yet. Theyā€™re a Mango, NC-1 and Pennsylvania Golden, so hopefully next year I have a few varieties of pollen to share.

Iā€™m in Tacoma and my Paw Paw has been in ground two years. It hasnā€™t grew even 1/4" and I donā€™t recall it even leafing last year, it has no leaves right now. Itā€™s is flexible and passes the scratch test so Iā€™m so confused.

They take awhile to get going.Maybe try feeding the tree with small amounts of urea,about a teaspoon,sprinkled around the base,every couple of weeks.Make sure it is watered in.

One of mine did the same thing. No leaves last year but wood is still green. I believe this is root damage. I know this because I pulled the tree out of the pot this year to see what was going on.

Best is to repot or if in the ground, make sure the ground is well drained. Pawpaws like a lot of moisture but great drainage.

Donā€™t use urea until you verify the roots are good. Urea will destroy roots if they arenā€™t healthy already.

@jfiorini , @ramv

Wonder if this is lack of sufficient chill hours ?

We get over 3000 chill hours in Seattle. Probably among the highest in the country.

But also a lot of winter rain. If drainage is bad, it can cause terrible root rot. I lost a lot of pawpaws and persimmon last season.

Ok .
So not lack of chill.
I have never seen a Pawpaw not leaf out here unless dead .

I worry my tree is dead. Even though it looks green with a scratch test.
I had another tree like this last year that didnā€™t leaf out. It was dead by early winter.

Is the urea warning specific to urea, or any high nitrogen fertilizer?0

Iā€™m basically going by the recommendation that people add nitrogen (aka urine) to their favorite mushroom patches. If nitrogen can be beneficial to mushrooms, I imagine they will assist fungi that decompose anything including roots.

There are beneficial fungi,that some plants need to thrive,like the Birch tree and Birch bolete.

1 Like

Some fungi definitely form a beneficial bond with plants.
If a plant is unhealthy for whatever reason, would you agree that the first thing is to fix it before feeding it?

Hi Brady,
We have been trying to understand how to cross pollinate our Sunflower and Prolific. Tried using a small paint brush last spring. Both trees produced several very small fruit that fell off after several weeks. So we are not certain what went wrong. Also the flowers do not open at same time so itā€™s seems a challenge to get pollen when one is open enough to pollinate. Please advise
Dennis
Kent, wa

I collect the stuff in small,somewhat waterproof containers.When stored in a freezer,even for over two years,the pollen worked to produce fruit.
How big are your trees?

1 Like