Pawpaw trees in Seattle

Big pawpaw tree in North of Seattle.(Pacific Northwest Areas)
(I am so happy to see one of really big pawpaw tree in North of Seattle and donating my pawpaw pollen to pollinate some of its flowers) (May.14.2020)

15 Likes

I was called to ‘diagnose’ what was wrong with a pawpaw yesterday…
it was big around as a 5-gallon bucket…

My diagnosis was basically old age…
as there were over a dozen smaller trees from root sprouts nearby.

3 Likes

Previous owner kept it in big container.

1 Like

How were those discovered,Vincent and are they named varieties?bb

1 Like

New property owner have no idea about the trees.
I just gave a neighbor some pollen from my trees to pollinate. Hopefully will have some fruits this coming season Brady.

5 Likes

One of neighbor lady took a picture of flowers and ask me. Make sure it’s pawpaw and some pollen from my trees to pollinate.

That’s very cool.I wonder if they’ve ever fruited?So these trees are in your neighborhood,all on the same property?bb

1 Like

Maybe they never had fruits before because nobody pollinated their flowers.
This is in Ballard Seattle areas. These trees in the same property but not in my neighborhood Brady.
The one in container had only 2 flowers, and the big tree have about thousands by the time i was there this morning.

4 Likes

Must be the Seattle champion tree. Unless Brady knows of a larger one. (Ballard locks?)

1 Like

These are the biggest I’ve seen,besides the ones that were at the University of Washington,before being removed.
The trees at the Locks are almost in complete shade and were still fairly small,the last time visiting.bb

1 Like

My Taytwo and NC1 pawpaw leaf out this year.

5 Likes

Hey guys, I ask for an advice from ore experimented members. I have bought a couple of years ago 2 pawpaws Prima 1216 and Sunflower and planted close to another. First of them is straight, but second is quite croocked and I don’t see any sign of correcting it. I tried to tie with a tutor but didn’t worked. I plan to cut is short, about 70 cm. Do you thing would be a problem? The evolution of both trees is very slow, opinions?

Regards,

Catalin

2 Likes

Any update on whether the big tree produced fruit last year, and if so what the fruit quality was like? I’d be very interested in getting seeds this year if it is productive. I’ve got 3 tiny grafted trees (Raintree) that I put in the ground in Feb, but would love to have a seedling of a tree that has flourished that well here, especially if it manages to ripen well too.

2 Likes

My pawpaw trees have fruits every year with good quality but the size of the fruits were not too big. About 3 inches. Maybe the trees are not full grown for fruiting yet. Below is the picture of fruits last year.

4 Likes

@Vincent_8B
This my be from incomplete pollination ?
As in many fruits , ( apples …) it’s the seeds that cause the fruit to swell .
In apples , 10 seeds is the max, a lopsided apple often has no seeds on the small side , again it’s the seed that causes it to swell.
Pawpaws are similar
That dumbbell shape one and the round ones likely have few seeds.
So even though they have been pollinated, it maybe incomplete,
Resulting in less than the maximum seed count and misshapen , smaller than the potential fruit size .

2 Likes

10 max? No, I collected 13 seeds from an Idared apple back in early winter.

Apples :: … 5 carpels , normally 2 seeds each, if fully pollinated.
Could be exceptions,

My cosmic crisp apple are very good size last year even no pollinators near by.

2 Likes

Nice! Sorry if I was unclear, I meant the large tree you had hand pollinated that your neighbor discovered. Your trees also look good, though :blush:

1 Like

It’s generally accepted that apples require cross pollination.
The closer the better ,
Some better than others in their abilities to cross.
Your apples appear to be well pollinated.
I would assume there is a suitable Apple near by supplying pollen .
On the farthest Extreme, honeybees can fly about 2 miles from the hive to gather pollen, so that could ? Mean another apple 4 miles away could possibly do the deed .? This is unlikely your situation.
Generally the trees should be right next to each other for good results, or at the least. In sight of each other .

1 Like