Pawpaw Varieties

You’ll get notices as your status increases. Just keep reading the things that catch your interest and joining into conversations you wish to participate in. The search function is a great way to find questions already answered, and likes are not only appreciated by those who made good comments, but also recognized as participation by the algorithms. Welcome aboard.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I’m glad I finally found a place for addicts like me!

2 Likes

I have a new Mango . . . one year old. And a Susquehana and Allegheny (I think). No fruit yet from any of them . . . :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I am in 7B. This year we had lots of blooms . . . but don’t see any fruit set yet.

4 Likes

I loaded up my trees with roadkill plus old banana skins and even spent a few hours hand pollinating. Early results very discouraging. So I’ll keep hand pollinating as long as I can find pollen and female stage blossoms. Not finding a lot of pollen, maybe blossoms haven’t changed sex yet or my trees just don’t produce much pollen for no apparent reason.

1 Like

I spread sugar on the base of the tree and on top of flowers to atract ants and the fiber of our juices on the base and trunk of tree to atract flies… i get good results from several years. My two adult varieties are of self fertile sunflower.

4 Likes

@Luisport

1 Like

I’m addicted to hand pollination so I don’t bother with any attractants.
Some day I’m sure I’ll tire of it and we’ll see how well the pollinators do on their own.

6 Likes

Kindly describe how you do it, collect pollen first, what kind of brush to use, can the Pollen be stored in refrigerator ? Kind of trying to have a best practice for hand pollination.

Is there a good link on site and another thread or you tube lick etc. Thanks in advance.

I (and others) have a video on YouTube but it may not answer all your questions.
I do think pollen can be stored in fridge at least for a while.
All of my trees are different varieties. So what I do is take a small artist brush with natural hair bristles and brush it on a male stage flower to get pollen, then I walk over to another tree and dab it on a female stage flower. Repeat repeat.
I don’t collect pollen in mass.

2 Likes

I use either a small art paint brush or q-tip type swab and hold a clear plastic container,something like these,https://www.amazon.com/Beauticom-Acrylic-Cosmetic-Beauty-Makeup/dp/B00YP1E7CC/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B00YP1E7CC&th=1 underneath the flower,in the male stage and then gently touch the inside,causing the pollen to fall.
I freeze mine and have used some for a number of years.

4 Likes

I’m not addicted, but I’m not looking for a large crop, so I’m looking forward to building the experience and learning what tricks I can. If I don’t get a high yield, it’ll be fewer for the wildlife to steal or me to have to clean up. Still, I bet I tire of it before you do. LOL

1 Like

what a great idea.

1 Like

How tall are your trees? Hand pollinating fruit 8 ft up is not easy.

2 Likes

About 6-7 feet. I try to keep them headed back. You’re right though - i don’t bother trying to pollinate the upper flowers. 95% are within reach though.

2 Likes

Richard I find something very funny
to me it is so hilarious

All this talk if paw paws are self pollinating or not , and which ones are not ?

Why do they ask that
Why shouldn’t they just bag some flower clusters with a paper bag!

could also do sections of parts of tree to prevent outside pollen.

(temporal dioecious is termed for Annonaceae species, but I thought another name was associated , but forget if or what it was.)

1 Like

Possibly because “they” have only read sellers’ descriptions and online speculation.

I am NOT completely convinced (Yet)

Just saying it is a easy experiment

I mean these researchers that cross breed them
do bag the flowers to prevent out side contaminating of flowers

I always thought one part ripened a male,
and later a female became receptive on each tree .

If this is your personal experience in CA
Could there be a different insect

Speaking of sellers that do that so people buy 2 tree’s of other plants say persimmon

Yes this could also decrease sales
say someone said I already have a experience with too much fruit
well I do not need 2 trees So second guessed , ands didn’t order that is a sale lost

I guess I have the gift of Gab , but some people with other stuff explained hesitating buying materiel stuff for that reason.

(see what I mean
persimmon, persimmon
mulberry mulberry
che, che
pawpaw, pawpaw

when one of each makes a sale or a commitment to one.)

There are 40 years of published observations. What are you not convinced about?

1 Like

It has been a while since I kept up on the Publications

Any links

some of what I found interesting I read recently is triploids a 1945 article a lot of percentage of seedlings are in the study, but do not want to quote a percentage.

Edit or I’ll take your word for it until I read up on it. or search.

Edit there where some new pawpaw cultivars
I learned of less then a week ago , but not available online
Since it was a dream ( , but maybe it was available online , and need to be lead there )

Have you saw some of the cultivars in other languages
(the dream was English types though ,
but not much to the dream. )