Pawpaw Varieties

Mine did the same thing. I wonder if our pawpaw old and time for ripen. They should fall off the tree without stem . Unlike ours stem attached with the fruits.

Give them some time Vincent. I think your large, bought trees are still making roots at their new home. I was thinking about Pacific Northwest people growing pawpaws somewhat recently and thought that my experience in Portland, OR. having lived there 3-summers and saw the 75-degree day “every day” during summer with sunshine and no rain (you guys will need to irrigate cause that’s how they grow naturally here) should be the ideal climate for them to become established w/o the need for shade cloth and of course you guys have a very long growing season up in/near Seattle you/Brady, so that’s what I think. I don’t know but I’ve never heard heat units and pawpaws being discussed. Of course we have high heat units in IL and where I live pecans are native. Go a little north and across the state to Chicago and those heat units dissipate says my pecan expert friend; lake effect has to have a lot to do with it.

But anyway, I was in Beardstown, IL. 4-days ago and we collected a couple buckets of pawpaws in the wild and the guy who toured us said we were a month late for collecting. He said mid-Sept. in central IL is prime pawpaw time. Gotta say it was awesome though, the terrain was 10-20 foot bluffs above a stream with pawpaws on top and below and everywhere as far as the eye could see. It was so beautiful.

But no, we shake the trees and the fruit falls off w/o stem attached.

Hopefully heat units don’t have a lot to do with pawpaw-growing.

Dax

Thank for information Dax.
Everything still on the testing with us. Every day have more and more positive news. I will take time to focus on Pawpaw in Northwest. It’s very interesting fruit tree to grow here . I on the processing of growing very early varieties pawpaw. Summer delights and Prince Caspian. Hopefully will have good report in the next few years. Thank again Dax.

Just got one Sibley, one Convis and one Prima… :blush:

Neal Peterson told me in 2009 …“of my varieties the earliest are Allegheny and Shenandoah but these have not been tested in your climate”.

That was Zone 8 near Portland Oregon.

Growing Degree Days is the most generally applicable rule for determining when or whether a particular crop will ripen in an area.
GDD-50 with a cut-off at 87F is applicable to corn and tomatoes. GDD41 is more applicable to apples/pears and more temperate crops. Similar rules are applicable to stone fruits.

There is a very large set of available algorithms at uspest.org. Specifically here:
http://uspest.org/cgi-bin/ddmodel.us?sta=C5022&mdt=pome&spp=aaa&cal=A&stm=1&std=1&styr=19&enm=12&end=31&cel=0&fcast=1&spyr=0&shd=1&mkt=0&mkg=1&ipc=1&evnts=3

Pawpaws almost certainly follow this rule. We may not know what the low temperature cut-off is but is likely in the 45-55F range.

Woody Walker on the pawpaw forum on FB has been doing some work studying ripening characteristics of pawpaws and overlaying GDD-50 data on them. But there appear to be a few discrepancies which he has noted:

KSU has some information on GDD data for various pawpaws. (page 62)
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/PDF/Pomper%20et%20al%20--%20April%202008.pdf

Seattle is right at the cusp of where the lowest level of some cultivars lie. A warm microclimate may be needed to successfully ripen a full crop here.

(edit VE-21 stands for Very Early I realized this today seeing my seeds outside , and it hit me .

This was about pawpaw cultivars so while I am at it
Would like to see some Southern (not for me, )
ARK-21 ( Ark 9 – 10) (as in Arkansas ) for Southern Louisiana
(MD-9, MD-14, )

There is a ton Blue moon (changes color to Yellow when ripe
(Ive been to Berea College even talked about the tree didn’t visit it.)
Picture Copied from
https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dailey/pawpaw.html

I was just talking about this ,
Just a quick Warning
I am no expert Tried to explain, and was left confused.

Does this site take in the Percentage of Humidity ?
I am asking because I do not want to ask in a sarcastic way, but it is important to me,

I am just not sure the answer!

that is a big factor I see people quoting these stats without factoring in the Humidity
(not you I am not familiar with that site , but if I can get some use out of it that would be great)

Anyways I see people quoting these stats
Like KY gets a little more sun a Year then Chicago ,
but of coarse we all know you may be in the south being mid 60 degree’s,
and in shorts because it is so humid in Fall , but Up here it is freezing
(I mean when I was in Southern IL, a year or so (just out side KY.)

The tree’s grow faster in a humid climate
at least when I start seeds they sprout fast, and grow thicker in a humid set up.

No it doesnt take humidity into consideration.
GDD is just a model. All models are imperfect simplifications of reality.
A better model would have to be much more complicated.

my first pawpaw harvest! so exciting!

sunflower pawpaw is listed as self pollinating. however im not sure i bought another variety for cross pollination. and higher chance of success i dont hand pollinate. i dont have the patience or time to do so. LOL. ill take any fruit i can get! thank you to growing fruit forums for the guidance for growing pawpaw everyone have been helpful sharing info. I appreciate it.

Congrats on your first pawpaw and many more to come.

Tony

Our 1st ripened Pawpaw. October 19.2019
Our tiny Taytwo pawpaw ripen in not perfect condition, but the tastes is excellent , very good smelling and really sweet.

Congratulations. Looks excellent

Tasting extremely good but too many seeds in one fruit. (The darker in color flesh the better tasting to me)

I am ending the shelve life trial after 6 weeks. They are still good but getting darker. I am going to freeze them for year round usage. They are sure can stay in the fridge for a long time.

Tony

Do you have to take their skin off before freezing.

Yes and individually wrap each one with the plastic food wrap to prevent freezer burns.

This was my first ever pawpaw… I opened it and noticed most of the flesh was a pale yellow but there was an area that was orangey brown. I ate most all of it with no ill effects, but is that change in color something I should worry about? I was going to be away from the tree where the fruit was harvested for two weeks, all the others were rock hard, but this one had some give to it. I kind of guessed that it would not last the two weeks so I picked it instead of letting it fall on its own. It continued to soften on my counter for an additional three days. I scooped the flesh with a spoon, and I would say texture was that of a mostly ripe cantaloupe. Should it be softer? I’d enjoy some input…

Yeah - So, you think pawpaws are safer than tide-pods?