Pawpaws Picked Today

Fruitlets here

5 Likes

WOW! Soo soon! :+1:

1 Like

I’m 7B and blossoms just opened. Wow.

Oh interesting!
I had flowers opening in first half of March.
Here in Middle TN I start looking for ripe fruit in August at a public spot with some pawpaws in full sun like mine.
Woods pawpaws are more late September typically.

I went for a hike today to look for morel about 3 feet tall but mushrooms. I didn’t find any but found a pawpaw patch. It is about 20 yards wide and about 100 yards long. It mostly had young trees about three feet tall but also had some 15 feet tall with blossoms. It was growing on the top of a ridge rather than in the valley. It makes me think they were planted.

3 Likes

Nice find!
I’ve seen some on ridges too, just not that commonly.

Pawpaw are common on high knobs , / ridges around here.
And most other areas too. Achieving greatest size trees along river stream bottoms . Not common on dry south facing hillsides predominantly oak.
But contrary to common belief ,I know of several productive stands on high dry nobbs . They sometimes escape frost up there when lower elevations get frosted.
We’re you find them , is where the coons and opossums poop.
So could be about anywhere.

3 Likes

I have a feeling derp fertile soil is more important than moisture and this ridge had great soil.

2 Likes

Here are some of the Pawpaw’s I picked in the last couple days.

These were all on one cluster. The largest weighed 1 lb 2.6 oz. The three together weighed 3lb.

They are KSU Atwood

17 Likes

@mvfd801 How do you describe the Atwood taste? I grafted it on three trees but not bearing yet.

My first year with Atwood … many had a unique fragrance like orange sherbet or “dreamsicle” and some also tasted that way. Had a couple excellent ones.
However, Many were kind of mediocre to bad. But I could say the same of other trees. Plus it’s the first crop so hopefully it will find its sea legs.

2 Likes

They definitely have your traditional Pawpaw flavor but I would say they tend to be a bit milder. I haven’t noticed the after taste like some other varieties have. It is my favorite variety so far. Also the flesh is lighter colored than many others.

5 Likes

Agree - it does have a light color, which is nice. I used to like the darker orange color but kind of prefer the look of the buttery yellow or even white. Not that this impacts flavor, which is most important for me (followed by texture)

1 Like

My Overleese graft bore its first fruit this year- wow does that taste good. A winner.

7 Likes

It may be the best of the old school cultivars.
I meant to plant/graft one, but someone told me they don’t do well in Tennessee.
That may not be true, of course.

My biggest of the season, actually picked and photographed about ten days ago. Seedling tree, very vigorous, precocious-first fruited 4 years after planting, long bloom time, good not great sized fruit, with the biggest a little over 3/4 pound, few seeds, good flavor, not very productive so far with only 7 fruit this year. IMG_20210908_194645455

9 Likes

Here’s my haul from picking on Tuesday from my patch at St Mary’s, MD.

10 Likes

I’ve found some strange fibrous stick like things attached to the inside of the skin in some of my pawpaws. Haven’t seen it before so I’m hoping someone here could help.

First pic is after remove from the skin, the other is just a pic of multiple sticking out of the pulp.

here’s one more of just a freshly opened Potomac :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have a couple of Pawpaws in the ground,a grafted Overleese and seedling Kentucky Champion,that are between 5-10 years old.Their leaves are fading and dying,with the KC being the furthest along.
Ramv,whose place is about 5 miles away,has some young trees,with leaves that are still in good shape.
We are wondering why that is?Maybe a variety thing or age related?For those who grow different ones,do yours display,the ageing of leaves,at dissimilar times?

1 Like

I found a few wild pawpaws near Morgantown, WV today.

13 Likes