Peach time!

Looks great. How long did it take from seed to bloom?
Iā€™m waiting for my peach to bloom too. This will be the third year from seed. I grafted to it last year.

Pretty sure May will be exactly 4 years. This one is the largest of the 3 started from seed and I was certain it would ever bloom.

Just curious, how much do you sell your peach for?

$4 for a medium 4 pack, $7 for Lg 4 pk.

Thank you for the info!

There they are, buds are finally openingā€¦

the coloration on this is very different than my tropic snowā€¦still not even sure if this is a peach or nectarineā€¦guess Iā€™ll find out soon enough.

7 Likes

those pictures make me so happy inside!

Hello all, I have a question about a peach tree I hope to find answers to here.

I moved into my current house only in June 2017 so I canā€™t answer any specifics about the age of the tree or even the care it received. I just know that the first summer I was here, it looked great and I had peaches and it made me sooo happy to have chosen this house.

However, last summer, the peach tree barely had any leaves (less than 100 leaves (closer to 50) for the whole tree) and Iā€™m not sure what happened.

I just know itā€™s less than 10 feet from what (I think) is a plum tree, from my reaseach it could be a cherry tree too, Iā€™m really not sure and the only fruit tree man I found in the area has not answered any of my calls/emails yet.

Iā€™ve attached the photos I have, not much I know. The 2 pictures on the left are of peach in June/July 2017 and 2 on the right are the peach tree now (April 2019), plus whatā€™s left of the plum (cherry?) tree.

I took some close-up of the peach tree trunk, you can see here

There has been no tips or buds yet, as you can see we are still having snow today (Iā€™m in zone 5)
Is the white on the trunk a fungus killing it? Can it be saved? (God I hope so) What could/should I do?

I really really loved this tree and I hope youā€™ll help me find a way to nurse it back to life.

Note: I had to cut the plum (or cherry) tree down because it has a Black Knot Fungus. I tried cutting down to the trunk in hopes it would be enough but I now see Black Knot Fungus on it still on the branches that grew last summer. So I guess Iā€™ll have to cut it all down?

This is my first foray into fruit trees, I know NOTHING but do hope to learn from you all
Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

I hope I do not sound too cruel. Peach trees in the east coast have several diseases and pests. As a result, they donā€™t live long.

In addition, they are not very cold hardy when compare to apples and pears. You live in Montreal zone 5 which already pushes a limit for peach trees. In your zone, in mild a year, you would get peaches. In a freezing cold year, your peach flower buds could be all killed. In a brutally cold year, a tree itself could be killed.

Iā€™d say if you really like peach trees, read up threads about peach trees here and plan to buy a new goodone. Donā€™t fall in love with peach trees. Itā€™ll break your heart!!!

2 Likes

Ouch! Itā€™s too late, Iā€™m already in love

2 Likes

Drew, I saw that Olpea doesnā€™t get consistent results with PF Lucky 13. Are you getting consistent crops like this where you live?

2 Likes

No, Iā€™m not that impressed with the tree. I would remove it, mostly grafted over at this point.

2 Likes

Good advice. Peaches are hit or miss from year to year. I live in a part of Ohio that gets horribly cold temps in the winter ,at times we get -20 F or colder. Then the frost/freezes always seem to happen at the blooming time.

1 Like