Peaches and pests

Chlorothalonil at pedal fall followed by several Captan sprays may not be 100% effective but it has eliminated most brown rot problems and Captan is inexpensive with a short PHI so a reasonable choice for the home gardener.

1 Like

I use Captan in all my stonefruit sprays even while also using Indar and/or Pristine. It is especially useful in reducing brown rot early in the season that will infect fruit later as well as for reducing the chances of BR developing resistance to the new compounds which have much easier locks to open.

For DIYers with small orchards it isn’t such a big deal to have to reapply it after rain when it is the only material you are using to combat BR. Many sites, many years it may be adequate all by itself.

Thanks, mamuang for posting the great link on the subject.

Ive had the exact same experience as you. Its been frustrating

Hi again mamuang and Alan.
mamuang very explanatory the document you have attached.
Now I understand everything .
They are several different strains of the same family of the Monilina fungus.
In Europe we have the presence of the Monilina Laxa strain, and you in the United States have the presence of a different strain which is Monilina Fructicola.
There are studies carried out on the different strains and their level of aggressiveness, the “Monilina Fructicola” strain being the most aggressive of all the strains of this pathogen.

Traduction of a document :

Main species

At present it is considered that there are three species of Monilinia that cause the "rot brown "of stone fruit trees. These three species are Monilinia laxa (Aderh. & Ruhl.) Honey (1945), M. fructigena (Aderh. & Ruhl.) Honey (1946) and M. fructicola (Wint.) Honey ( 1928).

The first two are common in our geographical area and the last one (of American origin) - although it has been cited in Europe (France and Austria) but its presence in our country has not been confirmed - it is a quarantine fungus. Another species M. polystroma Leeuwen (2002), possibly a special form (f. Sp.) Of M. fructigena, is present in East Asia (Japan) and has not been isolated from stone fruit trees.

For their identification, these species always need to be isolated, cultivated in agarized media and to carefully study the cultural, morphological, as well as molecular characteristics.

M. fructicola

Due to its wide distribution, as well as the important number of studies carried out on its taxonomy in North America, this fungus is usually known as the “American brown rot”.

The teleomorph of this fungus was first described in mummified peaches from Pennsylvania as Ciboria fruticola G. Winter 1883. Rehm in 1906 transferred it to the genus Sclerotinia as S. fructicola (G. Winter) Rehm and later in 1928 Honey to the genus created by he from Monilinia, as M. fruticola (G. Winter) Honey, a name that is currently accepted.

This species mainly attacks stone fruit trees but also many other pomicultural fruit trees belonging to the Rosaceae. As M. laxa attacks flowers, branches (generally shoots), as well as fruits. It is a very aggressive species, with an important vegetative and sporulative development during the active cycle of the fruit trees.

It is distributed throughout North America but is also present in South America, Australia and South Africa

What bad a coincidence.
Well, nothing guys, pay attention to the recommendations of your state centers, that the technicians of your country are the ones who know the problem best.
This fungus , It’s a huge bitch.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

The OP should add brown rot to the title because it has evolved into peaches’ pests and diseases :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Let me contribute. My nectarines in bags. They got 3 sprays of Indar which should work on a normal year. Not this year. We have had lot of rain. In fact, we got soaked today and a tornado warning, not that common in New England.

My nectarines are large and sour and brown rot’d. Sweetness got diluted by water leaving acidity to be more pronounced.

I Replaced 2 dead brown rot magnet trees with Elberta peaches. That and a more diligent spray schedule. See how it all goes in the next few seasons

It’s fuzzy enough.

I plan to trim my peach trees at 8 feet (instead of 10, to make them less work), and then try some sulfur spraying for brown rot. We’ll see how it goes.