Pear spacing recommendations using ohxf87 and harrow sweet

Many people recommend 20 feet or more between rows and 10 - 20 feet between trees depending on who you talk to. AC Nursery spacing can be seen below shown with common rootstocks. You might be wondering why is ohxf suggested now? Many rootstocks such as callery are now considered invasives in many areas. Im still glad most of my trees use BET and callery rootstock. One of the better commercial trees might be harrow sweet in Kansas because of the time it ripens. We like the pear alot.

" Harrow Sweet
(HW609 Cv.)

A late-season pear developed by the Harrow Research Station in Ontario, Canada, Harrow Sweet ripens approximately three weeks after Bartlett. This variety has shown very good resistance to fire blight. The fruit size and appearance are similar to that of Bartlett; however, Harrow Sweet does develop an attractive blush. Trees should be thinned to maintain fruit size and avoid biennial bearing."

Propagated Rootstocks:
OHxF87, OHxF97"

https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/pear-trees/96/harrow-sweet

About Rootstock

Our European pear trees are grown on OHxF97 and/or OHxF87 rootstock. 97 produces a standard size tree, is hardy and productive. The recommended spacing for plantings on this rootstock is 12’ between trees in the row and 20’ between rows. For growers who wish to plant a higher density pear orchard, we recommend planting trees on OHxF87. These can be planted at 5’ in row and 12-14’ between rows. All of our Asian pear varieties are grown on Betulaefolia rootstock. This rootstock is vigorous, well anchored and drought tolerant. The recommended spacing for plantings on this rootstock is 12’ between trees in the row and 20’ between rows.

Rootstock Chart

There are some things that need said about harrow sweet needing thinned every year. It produces very early and tends to over produce.

3 Likes

Wow! That’s pretty close. I wonder how they recommend pruning them? I’ve got one Euro/hybrid (a Kieffer type) on 87, and it’s getting pretty big. Of course, might work better with less vigorous/more petite Euros such as Harrow Sweet, Seckel. I’d still worry about fire blight and other problems at that density.

3 Likes

Pears can be packed pretty close. Mine are close to 30 foot tall, but not very wide at all. I try to keep them thin to support the fruit better.

3 Likes

Most of my euro pears are 87 spaced 8 to 10 feet apart and 12 feet between rows. My harrow sweet is on 97 ( all that I had available at the time ) and spaced the same. So far so good, but it’s only in its second leaf. Time will tell I guess.

I agree pears only want to grow up and narrow.

I have decided to drastically change my pruning habits based on reading recommendations from @clarkinks. It’s an adjustment for my neurotic self, but I’m confident the pears are happy.

Dom

2 Likes

@scottfsmith is a master at raising pears in tight spots. He has raised or does raise a surprising amount of different pears.

2 Likes

Can you provide a link to the pruning recommendations that @Dom is referring to? Thanks!

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s not about how to prune so much as to not prune.

2 Likes