Pears we are going to try in 2018

Starting to analyze some pears with good characteristics to try in 2018. Which pears are you going to try? These are a few of the pears below that are look promising to me.

Saint Andre -Origin obscure. First observed by Leroy in 1829. Received in the United States by Robert Manning in 1834 or 1835. Fruit small to medium in size, generally ovate in form but quite irregular. Skin greenish-yellow in color, waxy, some green or gray dots. Flesh fine, melting, quite free of grit, very juicy. Sweet, aromatic, highly pleasing flavor. Midseason. Tree moderately vigorous, spreading in habit, very productive, true dwarf according to
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541259 .

Sodak- Sodak (PI 541727).-Originated in Brookings, SOUTH DAKOTA, by N.E. Hansen, South Dakota Agriculture Experiment Station. Introduced in 1945. Pyrus ussuriensis Maxim. x Marguerite Marillat. Fruit: 2 x 2-1 / 2 inches; oblong-obovate-pyriform; flesh white, very juicy, melting, buttery. Tree: vigorous; probably obsolete. - Brooks and Olmo Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties
According to https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541727

Eureka- First fruited by a Mr. Dickinson of Eureka, Illinois in 1910. Introduced by A.M. Augustine of Normal, Illinois. Said to be a cross of Seckel and Kieffer. Fruit medium or smaller in size and resembles Seckel in form. Skin waxy, bright yellow in color, usually blushed, rather attractive. Flesh fairly firm, juicy, some grit at the center. Superior to many Sand Pear hybrids in dessert quality. Tree displays characteristics of both parents. About the same as Kieffer in blight resistance. – H. Hartman, 1957.
According to correspondence with A.M. Augustine, Normal, Illinois, the introducer of this pear, it was fruited in 1900 by a Mr. Dickinson of Eureka; a chance cross between Seckel and Kieffer and shows characteristics of both parents. Tree reported similar to Kieffer in leaf, habit of growth and resistance to and recovery from blight. Fruit medium, shaped like Seckel; skin delicate, waxy, bright yellow, slightly russeted, with a bright red cheek; flesh flavor of Seckel, more solid, longer keeper. – U.P. Hedrick, The Pears of New York, 1921 according to
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541710

1 Like

Not sure if anyone has tried these from the harrow station
HW 600 - A fire blight resistant selection introduced in the 1970s by the Canadian research station at Harrow, Ontario. A cross of Bartlett x US 386 made by L.F. Clough in 1963, at the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, Rutgers University. 500 seeds of this cross were sent to Dr. R.E.C. Layne at Harrow, Ontario. US 368 was a cross of Mich. 437 x Ree Carlo di Wurtemburg (= Roi Charles de Wurtemburg), and had a fire blight rating similar to Kieffer. – information from Ontario pear breeder Dr. David Hunter, 03-2012 according to https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541339

Hw601- Pedigree
Bartlett x Maxine second test selection according to
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541202

#Older Canadian pears
Moe-Moe (PI 541347).-Originated in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, by Canada Dept. Agr. Research Station. Introduced in 1947. Zuckerbirne x Clapp Favorite; selected in 1930. Fruit: size medium; quality good; early ripening. Tree: very hardy at Ottawa; quite resistant to fire blight. No longer recommended for home gardens in eastern Ontario and Quebec. - Brooks and Olmo Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties according to
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+541347

#USDA catalog I’m analyzing to find possible pear cultivars
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html

4 Likes

Did you see the article about new pears in the recent Good Fruit Grower magazine? It focused on one variety that I mentioned in another thread from the Harrow station, known as Harrovin Sundown but now being re-branded as Cold Snap. They also discussed 2 other promising varieties from Harrow that are so far just numbers but are being commercialized.

3 Likes

I did not catch the article thanks for bringing it up. Going to look that one up. Harrow has done some fantastic work on pears. We can learn a lot from Canada on pear breeding.

2 Likes

Waiting for HW 623 to become available. From the description, it is the most interesting one to me.

2 Likes

Mamuang,
Have you heard anything on HW623?

Clark,

If you order from the USDA please try to include the 2 Fragrant pear seedlings that they offered. So far Scott and I having no luck of finding the real Fragrant pear from China. I only got one of Scott’s seedlings scions to take and it is growing real well after one year of bark grafting. I think all of Scott Fragrant pear seedlings died from the quince rootstocks fireblight.

Tony

2 Likes

No, Clark. I hope the Harrow Station would release it to public soon. I definitely will find a place for this variety.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea Tony.

Mamuang i bet it will be a very good pear. I’m going to continue scanning ars grin GRIN-Global

3 Likes

I planted a root sucker off of some type of ornamental pear from my grannies house this spring in the front yard. The parent trees are quite large so I was thinking of top working it with a pear that would hold down the vigor some , maybe an Asian pear, I do want a Potomac though, I haven’t really made up my mind.

1 Like

Derby,
These are the ones I’m growing in 2018. It took me a little time to decide what I wanted to try this year.
PI 131232 Pound Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 131662 Passe Crassane Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 131663 Passe Crassane Rouge Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 224553 Sucree Rosee Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 255614 Madame Boutant Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 255616 Napoleon Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 312505 Phileson Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541158 Canal Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541168 Conference Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541170 Dawn Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541259 Saint Andre Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541269 Sucre Verte Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541277 Vermont Beauty Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541300 Spadona di Salerno Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541320 Honeysweet Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541347 Moe Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541362 Doyenne de Saumur Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541387 Beurre Bosc Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541443 Amire Joannet Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541501 June Sugar Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541534 Doyenne du Comice - Regal Red Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove
PI 541535 Doyenne du Comice - Crimson Gem Pyrus communis 2 count Scion COR Remove

2 Likes

That is quite a list Clark, I have to get more rootstock in the ground . I have yet to fruit a euro pear , my Bartlett froze this spring.

1 Like

Jason,
Fruiting euro pears takes a lot of time! Most of my rootstock that is ungrafted is callery though some is betulifolia. I’ve got at least 50-70 trees that need grafted that were not large enough this year, broke off, failed, I have to many that took of the same type etc… Eldorado grafts all took last year and I must have done 5 so I sure hope I like them! Some of these this year I just rolled the dice with and I’m not expecting much from them.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to graft on Urbaniste and Passe Crassane Rouge.

3 Likes

That is so many trees, I can’t imagine how much fruit that will make as the trees mature, I’m sure it would be a staggering amount. You will be picking by the truck load instead of by the bucket full!

2 Likes

Might wind up like that for sure because I produce nearly truck loads now. I’m having fun and experimenting with what works for me and what doesn’t. No doubt the research I’m doing is going to benefit a lot of people in the future. It may change everything about farming some day in this area. As I continue to find fruits to grow in this area such as aronia, pears, blackberries etc. I think people will see me making money from it and grow more of them. I sure hope it’s something good for everyone and perhaps in 10-20 years the Spadona di Salerno will be as common in a grocery store here as a bartlett.

3 Likes

I try to watch your posts Clark, nice to have some one so close testing fruits that work. I have been extremely busy this summer but it sure is nice to be posting and reading again. I need to work out a plan to prune my euro’s I put on ohxf 87 last year, but that’s another thread.

1 Like

This is kind of an old article referencing how pound pears are used but I think it might be one you would enjoy http://www.hobbyfarms.com/heirloom-pears-3/. It’s a storage pear and nothing special for flavor but the way it’s used is interesting. I question the validity of some of the material because I’ve never eaten a Clapp’s Favorite on a blustery day in late October lol but rather eaten many of them on a hot day in July or early August. Clapp’s are a delicious pear for sure but they are given to core break down and so they will rot from the inside out on the tree in a matter of a day or two. Not an easy pear to grow at all in this area. Other points in the article are very accurate eg. “Thomas Jefferson, acting as America’s foreign minister to France, fell so in love with delicious French pears that he planted 17 varieties at his Virginia plantation, Monticello.”
“Dr. Jean-Baptiste Van Mons (1765-1842), a Belgian pharmacist and physician, developed 40 new dessert cultivars, including Bosc and (some say) Anjou pears.”
"the Pound pear.

Also known as Belle Angevine and Uvedale’s St. Germaine, it originated sometime prior to 1690 and may date to Roman days. This pear is enormous!

Most weigh two or more pounds and gigantic four-pound pears are fairly common. In olde England, Pound pears were baked whole, wrapped in pastry crusts. The keyword is baked; these tough, coarse pears aren’t meant to be eaten out of hand. However, cooking makes their firm, red flesh yummy and smooth. Pound pears keep in storage until spring, making them top-of-the-line winter fare."
The writer really knew how to do her research and names tyson , seckel, citron de carmes etc. in the article so her sources were excellent! Perhaps she spoke with someone in a climate very different from ours where clapp’s ripens later.

3 Likes

Smc,
Sound like great choices in pears though Passe-Crassane is not geared towards most American taste buds . One article says this about Des Urbanistes which I think would be a widely accepted pear anywhere!

"The heirloom fruits are desirable plants for many reasons. When it comes to flavor and quality they’re in a class all their own. There are many kinds of old pears. Of those the Urbaniste is one of the most highly regarded.

Also called Des Urbanistes, this heirloom variety dates to the 1780’s. The tree was found in the garden of the Urbanistes monastery in Mechlin, Belgium, which explains the name. This was found after the order had been disbanded by the authorities. In the neglected garden fruit seedlings came up. This particular one was then introduced by a Belgian pomologist.

This tree was introduced to the U.S. during the early 1800’s. It was first grown by John Lowell in Roxbury, Massachusetts. This was highly recommended by A.J. Downing, author of Downing’s Fruits and Fruit Trees of America, published in 1849. According to Downing, this was a Flemish variety that was introduced by Count de Coloma of Malines and first arrived in the U.S. in 1823.

These are moderately to strong growing trees. They bear large reliable crops, especially as the tree gets older. This will grow in less fertile soil than the Doyenne. It takes some years to begin bearing. This does very well in the Mid-Atlantic. The young, upright shoots are yellow-gray with short joints.

The fruits are medium to large. These vary in shape somewhat from pear-shaped to round or pyramidal. They ripen late, and start ripening at the end of September. They can be stored until November. The smooth yellow skin can have russeting and a light brownish-red blush with streaks and dots. The stalk is an inch long.

Considered a superb dessert quality pear, this was described by A.P. Hedrick in Pears of New York, published in 1921, as “so sweet, rich, perfumed and luscious as to be a natural sweetmeat.” The flesh is mostly white though there can be yellow tinges, especially at the core. Though it is smooth and fairly fine texture, there can be some graininess near the core. The flesh is buttery, tender, juicy, and melting. It has a delicious flavor comparable to Doyenne. This also has a wonder" -The Urbaniste Pear - Landscaping

Similary Passe Crassane or Passe Crassane rouge are excellent quality as you can read about in this French wikipedia page Passe-Crassane — Wikipédia. This is the English translation which gives us insight into why it is banned from growing in France!
"Passe-Crassane is a big winter pear with marbled yellow skin. Its flesh is of excellent quality: quite fine, juicy, melting, pleasantly tart and very fragrant. [personal interpretation]

It is harvested in October.

On sale, it is often presented with a red wax cap at the end of its peduncle . This makes it possible to improve its conservation by limiting the evaporation by this end.
Culture

Formerly the most popular winter pear in France, the Crassane Pass tends to disappear because its tree is very sensitive to fire blight Note 1 , 2 . This sensitivity is not intrinsically superior to that of other varieties (Doyenné du Comice is also very sensitive 3 ) but is due to a production of very abundant and staggered secondary flowering, typical of this variety 4 .

Because of this sensitivity, its planting and propagation have been prohibited in France since 1994 5 , but not the sale of fruit resulting from existing plantations.

Passe-Crassane is one of six varieties of pears from the IGP Pommes et Pears de Savoie .

In Italy, where it is not subject to a multiplication ban, it is one of the ten pears of the Pera dell’Emilia-Romagna appellation. "

You will also enjoy this article http://www.regal.fr/produits/saison/poire-passe-crassane-en-peril-8838 once again translated to English “In 1855, in Rouen, the nurseryman Louis Boisbunel has the idea to cross a pear with a quince . Their child is the crassane passer. She has inherited a little of the physiognomy of her “father”: she is very chubby, almost round, sometimes bumpy. Her skin is yellow marbled with ocher. You will find this pear, rather cheap, from December to April. As with all winter varieties, choose rather firm fruits instead. They will ripen quietly at home, preferably in the open air. The crassane pass is generally recognizable by the red wax cap adorning the end of its tail. This coquetry is, originally, intended to prevent the evaporation of water and, therefore, slow down aging. Becoming useless with the evolution of conservation techniques, wax is now the distinctive seal of this variety. The meat of the crassane pass is granular, which does not please everyone, but also juicy and tart. Nature, it is tasted very ripe, when it is sweeter. This variety is also famous for making excellent jams . And as it gets along very well with spices, you can decline it in many jars (to accompany the brioche of the breakfast as well as the foie gras of the dinner).”

1 Like

Tony,
I did not include the fragrant pears this year I didn’t want to ask for much more than 20 types. I was cutting varieties as it was.

2 Likes