Pecan varieties resistant to heat shock

Vince that excel table, it is the bible of the pecan tree, since cross-pollination is essential, and it will help you choose the fruiting varieties and their appropriate pollinators.
It is difficult to choose varieties that meet all the requirements, especially in your climate with a lot of ambient humidity.
Cheer up, you will grow pecan trees.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Thank you Jose, iā€™ll read it carefully!

1 Like

Darrell, the person who seeks, always finds.
I have discovered a nursery in Hungary with interesting varieties.

Take a good look at the varieties they have and tell me which varieties would interest for me (very arid climate with very long summers), and which ones are suitable for Vince (humid climate with shorter summers), so we both buy the right varieties for the two of us.

Vince, this Hungarian nursery is tremendously expensive, since each grafted pecan tree is worth 4,500 Hungarian florins, but if we translate it into euros or dollars it is 12 euros or dollars hahahahahaha

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Here are a few to consider. Carefully check them and see if you think they are worth your time and effort. Creek, Lipan, Major, and Pawnee are protandrous. Excel, Kanza, Lakota, and Wichita are protogynous.

Creek
Excel - Matures mid-October
Kanza
Lakota
Lipan
Major
Pawnee
Wichita

Major, Kanza, and Lakota are good possibilities for Vince11.

1 Like

Darrel now it is mid-October and in my region the Kerman pistachio is being harvested and everything is in a vegetative state and with temperatures of 30Ā° Celsius (86Ā° Fahrenheit) and we will still have these temperatures until the end of October (it is usual), so Excel will adapt well to my climate.
As always I have a question for you.
Why havenā€™t you included the Mandan variety?

https://pecanbreeding.uga.edu/cultivars/alphabetical-list/mandan.html

It is resistant to scab, and early maturing.

Have alternate harvest, or overload ?

Regards
Jose

1 Like

I like well filled pecans. Mandan often fails to fill properly. Also, it scabs pretty bad anywhere outside of Texas. It might work in your climate, but I would only graft one or two trees and find out if it is worth growing.

https://pecanbreeding.uga.edu/cultivars/alphabetical-list/mandan.html

Also, There are many other varieties to grow, many of which are better and more reliable.

1 Like

wowww thank you Jose this nursery seems to have a lot of cultivars. Hope theyā€™ll be ok to send trees in France and Spain! Thank you Darrel for the varieties advice! Do you think pawnee will not be ok for me? The harvest is quite early, and it seems to be ok for scabs, did i miss something?
And a question i tried to send a link in the thread but it seems to be impossible. Is there something to do?

1 Like

Pawnee is a scab magnet in a humid climate. Jose probably can grow it. I have a pawnee tree but it never produces any pecans because it is covered in scab.

Commercial growers spray fungicides on Pawnee with good results. I would never recommend it for a home grower who does not spray unless they are in a very dry climate.

1 Like

Darrel, talking whit you about pecan trees is a real luxury, since you speak from experience and that is priceless.
Since I donā€™t know what rootstock the Hungaro nursery uses, and what I do know is that Riverside adapts very well to my land and I will have plenty of Riverside rootstock available this winter (in case a friend sends me graft cuttings hahahaha), it is very likely Instead of requesting grafted trees from the Hungarian nursery, I will asked them for graft cuttings, and I grafted those varieties on Riverside rootstock.
In this way I ensure good adaptability to my terrain.
I go to graft only two trees of the Mandan variety, to see how they behave in my conditions.

Vince, now you have no excuses to grow pecan trees.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Vince Pawnee is a variety for arid climates, since it has medium resistance to scab and in your climate you will have fungal problems.
Scab wreaks havoc on the pecan tree and it is necessary to do many treatments, for this reason , you should limit yourself to varieties that are very resistant to scab.

Donā€™t worry, you already have at least three varieties suitable for you, and over time you will get more varieties.
Lakota is a very good variety both for eating and for obtaining rootstock.
The rootstock of the Lakota variety born from nut is very good.
Kanza has a reputation for being a delicious nut.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Ok too bad for pawneeā€¦
The seed for the rootstock seems to be very important right? How can i know wich seedlings could be fine for me?
Youā€™re right Jose iā€™m really hope to plant pecans this winter!

1 Like

how cold is your winter? What is the lowest temperature?

1 Like

Vince, my climate is very good for growing pecan trees, but my soil is calcareous with a very high Ph, so I have to use Riverside rootstock that tolerates the high Ph well.
Describe to Darrell your climate and soil type and he will give you fantastic advice on the rootstock to use.
I know that the most used varieties for obtaining rootstock are Riverside, Elliot, Moore, and I have heard good things about Lakota as a rootstock.
Fruitex gets its rootstocks from a native American variety, but I donā€™t know what variety it is.
But I do know that it has good adaptability to all types of terrain.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Iā€™ve spent a lot of time in New Mexico over the years. I went to a lovely small pecan orchard in the southern Rio Grande valley well south of Albuquerque.

Living along the gulf coast I am no stranger to pecans as the trees are everywhere down here. The shape they take in this climate is easily recognizable in leaf and bare.

Having said that, I would never have recognized the trees in that New Mexico orchard as pecans from any distance away. Less than half the height and much, much denser branching.

Obviously they were a different variety and grown in a very different climate. They use flood irrigation from the Rio Grande river.

Anyway, the pH of the soils of the Rio Grande run 8.0-8.4ā€¦ Perhaps not unlike the soils @Jose-Albacete has.

I found a nice article about the varieties grown there, though I didnā€™t read enough to see if they call out rootstock as well.

1 Like

Shibumi, sounds like you saw Cheyenne. It makes small dense trees often grown in NM. Also, they use Riverside as rootstock and sometimes Elliott. Both are tolerant of alkaline soils.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it was years ago so I donā€™t remember which orchard it was to try and find out

I doubt Iā€™ve seen more than a few varieties here in the wild and old orchards.

I do know that the same variety in a vastly different climate and soil can still yield a very different tree.

Perhaps it was just the variety.

I was also fascinated with the flood irrigationā€¦just as fascinated as wondering where the storm drains were in California as a child when I lived there. My young self wasnā€™t yet aware everywhere wasnā€™t flat as a crepe and get 60 inches of rain a year like New Orleans.

1 Like

The lowest temperature we had since 5 years is minus 8 (arount 17 farenheit). I donā€™t think cold will be a problemā€¦
About the rootstock my soil is mostly sandy, drain well and the ph is 6.5. As a sandy soil it can be quite dry in summer so i think i ll need to give them water. Does pecan need more water than wallnut for example?
Thank you (both of you) for your explanation and help!

1 Like

Walnut and pecan are second cousins so their water and cultural requirements are similar. Sandy soil requires a bit of thought about rootstocks. Pecan does need extra water for best production during very dry summer weather, in particular in late summer around August and September. Do you have periods of dry weather lasting 3 or more weeks in this time frame? Also, when is your frost free date in spring meaning the date you can safely set out tomato and pepper plants?

1 Like

Itā€™s good about watering cause wy wallnut needs water 2/3 years and are ok after. Yes this summer we had 8/10 weeks without any rainā€¦ And recommandation for tomatoes are mid may but we can plant early may and some years itā€™s possible to plant before.
Thank for your help about rootstocks!

1 Like

Am I correct that you have killing frost about the end of October or early November?

Riverside is probably not a good rootstock for your area. It is best in high pH clay based soils. Here are a few that would work:

Best choices:

1. Lakota
  2. Stuart
  3. Moore

Next best:

1. Major
  2. Kanza - pick only the fastest growing seedlings
  3. Adams #5

I donā€™t know what the Hungarian nursery uses for rootstock, but if you can find out, I can tell you if it would work for you.

1 Like