Pecan

Northern or ultra northern cultivars will need to be tried. One challenge will be to source these scions. Use seed stock of Northern pecans.

I live in marginal area near the Northwest coast of California at a very similar latitude 39:33 @ 3000 feet and am able to ripen certain cultivars. On good warm years which are more frequent these days later ripening cultivars mature.

1 Like

Sory my bad english. Canakkale, Ā© degree
Average highest air temperatures:
january 9.7 C
February 10.5C
March 12.5C
April: 17 c
may 22.5C
june 28C
july 30.9C
august 31C
september 26.5C
October 21C
November 15,5C
range 11.4C

Pawnee or kanza grows in my garden. North pecan varieties.

They are growing there now?

Is your trained field have seedlings on it now?

Do you graft?

Do you have seedlings in containers?

I looked at your data and you have plenty of summer heat. Actually quite a lot more than most people have that are trying to grow pecans in other parts of the world.

You can grow Kanza pecans to maturity or of course Pawnee but I would be reluctant to grow Pawnee if I were you because of itā€™s scab pressure. You want cultivars (grafted on northern or far north) seedlings that donā€™t have heavy disease pressure already in their genes.

As @wildernesssoul said, your problem is going to be getting the grafting wood, however, Grimo Nut Nursery in Canada does ship to Europe.

In an absolutely ideal situation for you, Kanza and Hark are the two cultivars you should be growing for production; otherwise if this is for personal fun or as a hobby on a small scale you most certainly are able to grow any Northern or Far-Northern or Ultra Northern cultivars.

Best,

Dax

1 Like

Based on the area and knowledge of the mediterranean climate, the suggestion of northern and ultra northern cultivars is most likely to give success.

Pecan produces best if planted at a rate of about 70 trees per hectare. How many hectares do you have to plant?

Here are varieties to look for. Hark, Kanza, Lucas, and Oswego. There are a couple of European sources for some of these varieties. They are listed in this thread nearly a year ago.

1 Like

In addition to Darrelā€™s comments and my own hereā€™s what Iā€™m basing my facts on:

I know a person in the USA with 500 cooling degree days and a growing season of 170 days that has matured Mullahy and NC-4 annually for a decade or so. That puts you exactly where Darrel and I are suggesting with the recommendations of Hark, Kanza, Oswego, etc.

While I canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen Lucas here where I live I have seen two seedlings of Lucas that mature here and are the same size as the real Lucas and I donā€™t get excited about them at all. Maybe Darrel knows something I donā€™t. Oswego is a very nice pecan.

Dax

Thank you so much for everyoneā€™s answer. Thereā€™s no seedlings in my garden right now. Not vaccination. Iā€™m gonna plant open root seedlings. The size of my garden is 4 acres. If I succeed later, I will plant it in a larger garden. Cooling degree days 700-800. The link below shows the weather forecast for Ayvalık in 2018ā€¦
https://m.accuweather.com/tr/tr/ayvacik/317389/month/317389?monyr=4/01/2018

1 Like

Youā€™d have to translate that data to me. There are more than 12 lines of information so I donā€™t see how that corresponds monthly.

And cmt and paz and pat and sal (I have no idea what that means.)

I am seeing that your night time temps might be cool but thatā€™s a pure guess because I canā€™t understand that data whatsoever.

Best regards,

Dax

So sory Barkslip. This right linkā€¦
https://m.accuweather.com/en/tr/ayvacik/317389/month/317389?monyr=1/01/2018

1 Like

You can change the moon below the page.

Itā€™s June, July, and August that Iā€™m interested in seeing. Okay! Got it!

You have AWESOME summer heat. Grow pecans man!

Does it rain there during summer, my last question?

Dax

Should also say this about my friendā€™s location (Lebanon, Connecticut, USA)

Frost Free Days in Celsius = 170
Frost Free Days in Fahrenheit = 170
(calculated at 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius)

Frost Free Days in Celsius calculated at -2 degrees = appx. 200
Frost Free Days in Fahrenheit calculated at 28 degrees = apprx. 200.

Pecan foliage and buds are killed at around 26 degrees Fahrenheit / -3 Celsius so to get a real close picture of a growing season a person should calculate at both 32 F / 0 C and 28 F / -2 C

Once you know this and combine it with information such as summer heat and if you get some good rains during summer then itā€™s pretty easy for anyone to come up with if a) you can grow pecans and b) what types/cultivars you should focus on.

Of course the only other piece of information remaining the group does not know is what your soil PH is.

Again, he is growing Mullahy and NC-4 pecan and the nuts are filled and he gets crops @ 500 Cooling Degree Days.

Thatā€™s all I can think of now.

Dax

1 Like

I am so sorry. Since the system was a new member, the answer was limited. Therefore I could not write an answer.

Itā€™s raining little in summer. Annual total rain 800mm. This area approximately 190 days do not fall below -2C degrees.

CDD (Cooling degree days) 700-800 ā€¦ Chilling 1000 ā€¦ Hardiness Zone (8b).

Soil PH ratio 7.

I have a lot of questionsā€¦

Type 1 and type 2 varieties which can be pecan (Hark, Kanza, Oswegoā€¦ )

What should be the pollinator rate.How many pollinator trees will be.

Should I use fertilizers while planting the seedlings? Is it useful if I mix the soil with cow fertilizer?

I can send a picture for being a new member.
(Another weather station data for Ayvacik. Both rainfall and temperature data.):thinking:

2 Likes

Only three months with highs in the 80s isnā€™t much heat. Real pecan country has 4 months or more with average highs in the 90s. I have marginal heat for long season varieties but plenty for Pawnee and Kanza. Here itā€™s 5 months with highs between 85 and 90F.

Donā€™t add fertilizer to the hole when planting. The tree canā€™t use it until it leafs out. Wait until then.

Also pecans need huge amounts of water. I apply 6-8 inches per month when nuts are filling, August and September, in addition to 2-3 inches of rain per month. Annual applications in the western USA are 40-60 inches of water.

1 Like

Fruitnut hit the nail on the head. Youā€™re going to need irrigation to fill pecans.

@Fusion_power do you think as eyberā€™s trees age (Iā€™m talking heights of 10 meters) that his trees will fill nuts w/o an irrigation system? I ask because it seems the oldest pecans here (20 + meters) do fill nuts but of course size drops in bad years without summer rain.

This summer we had two months without a drop of rain (July-Sept) and except a few old trees we had no pecans or hickories on probably 90% of trees.

eyber your question of ratio is every 8 trees you need a pollenizer. Hark is Type 1 and Kanza is Type 2. Plus their bloom overlap is as good as it gets. What you need to understand is that bloom overlap can be spread far apart between type 1 and type 2 so their isnā€™t much overlap or there might be 1/2 overlap, etc. Hark and Kanza overlap excellent. Darrel can tell you more about Oswego. Iā€™ve seen Oswego at a commercial farm and itā€™s a good looking nut but I donā€™t know any more.

Your PH is fine/good.

Dax

He canā€™t grow pecans without summer irrigation. May thru Sept averages about 100 mm, whatā€™s that 4 inches total.

I certainly agree 100%.

He needs 100mm/4" per month. I average 100 mm/ 4 inches per month and nuts fill really well. More rain is better yet = larger nuts.

Dax

Thank you so much. As far as I understand correctly there are three types of pecan: kazna, hark and pawnee. Super:relaxed::relaxed:

I will install a drip irrigation system in the garden. Iā€™m gonna need a lot of water. There will be a borehole in the garden.

Last questionss:slightly_smiling_face:

-Level of groundwater should be how many meters?

-Before planting should be cleaned roots with special water against fungi and bacteria
(Sample product: http://bio-caretechnology.com/nogall-biological-control-treatment/

-Cover Crop: Mustang for winter and sudangrass bread for the summer?

-The graft point should turn south while planting Pecan tree. Planting varieties of walnuts in Turkey in this way. To make more use of the sun.
graft%20direction

Completely erase from your mind ā€˜Pawneeā€™. Itā€™s a disease magnet problem for a tree that requires far too much spraying for control of scab.

Concentrate on Kanza and Hark and possibly others recommended from Darrel.

No need to wash the roots but of course plant grafted trees in rows that go from North to South for best sunlight penetration. Plant the same cultivar in the entire row. Planting the same cultivar in every row allows for ease of harvesting.

You will be able to sell both Kanza and Hark with ease but Kanza is the most well-known. I would not let that limit you from planting an entire row of Kanza followed by another entire row of Hark. Hark is becoming very well known. There are people in the ā€œnorthernā€ pecan belts planting huge numbers of Hark for commercial production in the United States. It is/will become the next Kanza.

Iā€™m not an expert on the rest of your questions.

Dax

I can answer now. My daughter and son slept new. I am at Istanbul now. Itā€™s 11:00 tonight.

I donā€™t think of Pawnee. Kanza and Hark are super. Iā€™m waiting for Mr. Darrelā€™s suggestions for Oswego and the other varieties.

In the summer I want to cover the crop (sudangrass) to keep the soil moist. Of course I will water the way you suggest.

Mr. Barkslip Do you have a planting scheme for type 1 and type 2? Is it possible to share. I will plant Eight kanza tree a Hark tree. Is not it.
Kanza pecan pollenizer tree?