Peppermint Peach Fruit

Though the Peppermint peach tree is mostly ornamental, it sometimes sets fruit. If I were to grow a tree from the seed, is there a chance it would be similar to the parent in its flower uniqueness?

10 Likes

So pretty!
Maybe, maybe not. Peaches do not grow true to seed.

1 Like

Got it. After some google searching I read peaches “mostly” grow true to seed. Whatever that means lol

1 Like

All it means is that most peach seedlings are good quality for eating. Not as hit and miss as apples.

2 Likes

Where did you get this Peppermint peach tree? The blossoms are beautiful.

1 Like

Hey Mike my Peppermint peaches were shipped to me from Shrubs & Trees LLC in Georgia. A couple other nurserys offer it including Four Winds Growers in California and Bob Wells Nursery in Texas. TyTy nursery (Georgia also) sells it at a more mature size of 6-7ft for a great price, although the reviews are mixed regarding that specific grower.

2 Likes

It probably depends a lot on what genetics it gets from the pollen parent. I used to have Peppermint peach. It is a gorgeous tree.

3 Likes

Thank you for the nursery info that carries them.

2 Likes

I have no idea why this thread was at the top of my app since it’s been 10 months since the last post.

Having said that I read up on it. It has an interesting, drawn out bloom period.

I’d imagine, besides the flowering that it is being sold for, it would make a great pollinator. I assume peach and nectarine trees, though self fertile, would still set better with cross pollination?

2 Likes