Permethrin as a one-stop peach tree pesticide?

Worse emergency, probably - Spotted Lanternfly. Good god those things look like an awful plague. Wonder when they will spread to here. I suspect it is a lost cause now.

Though the treatment for spotted lanternfly would probably be a neonicotinoid.

The tarnished plant bug may stop at catfacing, which in itself can cause fruit to rot before it ripens irregardless of Indar, but BMS does far more than cosmetic damage. It injects a substance that destroys the taste and also really does a physical number on fruit that is best described in photos.

A gallery of horror. https://www.google.com/search?q=bms+damage+to+peaches,+photo&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqy6iK0fjhAhXLm-AKHXbLB1sQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1010&bih=642

1 Like

I could swear I have seen both stinkbugs and tarnished plant bugs in my yard and on my fruit.

Stinkbugs are my constant bane right now. It was boxelder bugs, which are more of a nuance, since they don’t interfere with the garden or fruit trees. Stinkbugs on the other hand like a bit of everything. A little ruined fruit spot here… a little ruined spot there… and soon there’s nary an unmarked fruit for the entire season.

I rarely reach for permethrin/pyrethroids unless I need a nuclear clear out. I hate offing the mantis that occasionally stick around, but sometimes our beneficials don’t eat the pests fast enough. It’s also a weird catch 22, if you buy benefitials. They only stick around if you have enough pests for them to eat. Nothing to eat? Then the ladybugs and mantis you buy just scuttle off to another infested feeding ground. It’s hard to keep it at an ideal homeostatic balance.

What is the best pesticide to use on a different fruit trees? Thanks

Kind of a loaded question. The best pesticide as in most effective against harmful pests? Most safe to beneficial predators? Most safe for consumption post-bloom? pre-bloom? Longest lasting protection…

Define your criteria for best.

1 Like

It depends on the region and the type of fruit you are growing. Even site makes a big difference, but if you tell us your region and what you are growing we can better answer your question. You can also check guides for spray programs.

Thanks for your response, sorry I guess I forgot to mention some of the key points. I live on the eastern shore of Virginia USDA Zone 7b-8a not too far from the water.
I just planted not too long ago a different variety of fruit trees so far I planted some apples, pears, plums, peaches, cherries, pomegranates, paw paw a persimmon tree, and some fig trees.
As well some blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
My concern is the fruit trees yesterday while checking on them I found some stinky bugs, but because I just planted them and I don’t know much about it I would appreciate any help I can get as for what to spay them with to prevent any insect damage or some deseas. Thanks

I assume it’s too early for the trees to crop, so it is foliage that needs to be protected and in the case of the peach trees, at least, the bark from borers.

If you are taking responsibility for the care of the trees it is sometimes best to simply respond to what you see in order to learn how to identify the pests at your site- as apposed to just keeping poison on the trees to kill a wide range of pests.

Years ago, when I had my first trees in the northeast, I didn’t spray my first crop and lost most of the fruit, but I learned who my enemies were and strategized to save my crop the following season.

I studied photos of pests and the damage they cause that I was likely to encounter and this helped me with identifying them when and if they arrived.

You don’t even have to do that, however. You can send us photos of damage and insects and get experienced growers to help you.

Meanwhile, check out the spray guides on this forum, even the one I wrote based on pest pressure further north should have some useful information.

Thanks for the advices Alan.

Keep a lookout for frass and/or resin at the base of peach trees as this would indicate peach borers which can quickly kill trees if left untreated.

1 Like

How can I post a picture? Thanks

Search posting pictures.

Ok let’s see if I can load this pic of a bug I found on one of my pear trees. (This is the third of this bugs that I found in my pear trees, same type of bugs )

1 Like

Looks like a stinkbug to me. Haven’t seen a lot of them here yet.

I think I saw a plum curculio on one of my apples yesterday, though.

I was going to ask about this same bug, I think!

Mine’s like an armored stink bug on steroids. But those armored-looking bugs are often insect killers, so I thought that maybe he is a good guy?

If it’s a brown marmorated stink bug, then it’s definitely not a good guy. See @alan’s post above, bad for stone fruit, and pears, from what I’ve read.

1 Like

Definitely. I’m going to have to look closely at the few kinds of stink bugs I see here.

Since I can’t see it from above, it may not be a SB, but it seems like it has that shape. Take a look at some pics of them online and see if they look similar to yours. I also don’t know if there’s more than one species of stinkbug’s, just the brown marmorated one.

They also feed on vegetables, like tomatoes, corn and peppers, so not a good bug to have around.

1 Like

There are some traps available.

1 Like