Persian White Mulberry bareroot now available - One Green World

Bareroot now available, 1/19/2023

Persian White Mulberry

1 Like

They seem to have been getting more in stock as time goes on. Around a month ago there was a hazelnut I wanted that came back in stock. By the time I got the message they were already down to something like 23 of that variety. I know in the 20-21 season I was signed up to see when the genetic dwarf peach trees were back in stock and I saw them back in stock way before the notification told me they were back in stock.

I signed up to be notified on their website a couple of years ago when I was excited by the possibility of having a white Morus Nigra. Now their description says that it doesnt look like a Nigra.
To me, it appears like a typical white mulberry. I remember LE Cooke used to offer them as well.

Has anyone tried it? Is it special?

1 Like

I appreciate that OGW questions whether it is a Morus nigra. I’ve wondered the same thing about their buds. They didn’t look like Morus nigra buds.
I bought a Persian White for my uncle a couple of years ago from Restoring Eden. My uncle said he enjoyed the taste but I have yet to try the fruit myself.

2 Likes

Last year I sent them an email stating that I was going to perform cytology tests on the mulberries I’ve purchased from them over the years to determine if any were actually M. nigra.

4 Likes

I did work for a guy from Iran,who had what he said was a Persian White Mulberry.I tried some of the fruits,which were white,with a pinkish tinge,when mature.They didn’t impress me that much,mostly just sweet.It’s possible,I didn’t try them at optimal ripeness.
But he wanted to know where to get more trees.
Here is the one at his house.

3 Likes

Propagate them from the one he has?

the confusion here is that while it may have originated from persia, just with the likelihood that nigra’s also originated from persia, what OGW posted as persian is obviously not nigra, as indicated by berrries and growth habit in the photos shown by OGW and the specimen posted by @Bradybb
yes, the berries are white, and the source may well be persia, so even if the name Persian White may be “accurate”, it will continue to be misleading, especially since Persian nigra’s have no close peers in quality amongst mulbs
speaking of persian, due to possibly inherited illness in our family, we had genetic testing done and showed that admixed with asian and southern european genes, i also have persian genes. Makes me wish i was a nigra…

5 Likes

I may have offered to do that for him,but it didn’t happen.
He asked me if there were different sources,like online or local nurseries.

1 Like

Mulberries in my location

4 Likes

The ones you label as Morus rubra are just a black-fruited Morus alba, I’m pretty sure.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t know that .tnx

King of mulberries . Morus nigra

5 Likes

I could be wrong, but there are many colors and phenotypes of M. alba and that’s what it looks like to me.

1 Like

Its first green when unripe , then red and finally black

In persian we call it shahtoot
Shah=king
Toot=mulberry

2 Likes

We call this type of white mulberries “Harati” or “Ghazvini”

5 Likes

@Javhzs72
For mulberries:
alba and rubra refer to bark color;
macroura (tail) is shape of fruit.

4 Likes

Good point :ok_hand:How about nigra?

1 Like

@Javhzs72
I believe it refers to fruit color.

BTW, this thread is concerned with the White Persian cultivar offered by One Green World. A new thread concerning Morus cultivars in Iran would be of interest to many members here.

2 Likes