Persimmon fruit 2020

I think early golden was selected in the late 1890’s so is likely the oldest known cultivar still in existence. Although many cultivars have been bred and selected from it I am not convinced that any are better, especially flavor-wise. I remember J. Lehman telling me several years back that it still commonly wins many taste tests and from personal experience I can see why.

6 Likes

Sorry, these aren’t from my trees which are too small to do much yet, but I saw someone on my local FaceBook marketplace advertising persimmons 2 for $1 and I was in my car and on the way as soon as possible. I think I was first there, but people were already lining up behind me to pick. I bought 50 and he gave me a few extras as well that were a bit greener. Some are starting to soften, but most are hard, so I hope they’ll all ripen fully over time.

Any idea what type these might be, considering they are ripe at the start of October in Arlington, VA - zone 7A? He had no idea and just had the one persimmon, plus a sad looking peach tree and an asian pear of some type, but I think they were all planted when he moved in. They seem a bit smaller than store bought Hachiya, but that could be not being cared for, etc. I guess. Maybe Tanenashi?

10 Likes

My potted non astringent Tam Kam Kaki are looking good.

12 Likes

Do you have any trouble with squirrels with them?

1 Like

Not yet. I moved the pot near the side front of the house.

1 Like

Jerry Lehman 100-46. Very large for an American persimmon.

Tam Kam in the bottom

12 Likes

Those look fantastic!! I had an Eureka astringent in the top of the tree this week that was bird pecked and jelly soft. Cut that bird peck out and ate the rest. Oh I can’t wait until they all start getting ripe!!!

2 Likes

That’s huge!

1 Like

Eureka

14 Likes

It should be Eureka! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those look big , but how big are they.?
Nothing for scale.
Got a quarter?

2 Likes

Quarter

10 Likes

I picked my 20th Century fruit because squirrels were showing interest. It’s further ripening on the counter before I sample it. Looks pretty big coming from a very young tree.

17 Likes

Some Fuyu persimmons

15 Likes

Eureka getting closer…

17 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

I’ve had two off it…that were pecked or bitten and had gotten soft. Sooooo good. So I just look at it impatiently every day!!!

5 Likes

This is huge!

Hi, zendog,
How do they taste?

@k8tpayaso,
That is a beauty. You have some of my favorite fruit, Jujubes, persimmons. I’m moving in with you :grin:

3 Likes