Persimmon fruit 2020

I have a tree bought as Fuyu (from Womack). Harvested them orange and firm, but they’ve been puckeringly astringent x 2 years - even when softened. Mislabeled? Wonder if it’s Eureka.

3 Likes

Have you checked out the newer cultivars England’s has? I am considering celebrity to add to my small fruit tree collection but I don’t know where to find room :sweat_smile:

Could be but there are so many it could be. As a rule Eureka has four lobes. Some show it more that others but you will see it best on the stem side. Eureka was hard for me to find a few years ago but I think it might be more popular now.

I’ve just put a bunch of Eureka in the dehydrator and that takes the astringency out. Can’t wait!!!

2 Likes

Another reason to grow persimmon. It just says Autumn Beauty!

17 Likes

Top is Tam Kam. Bottom is Eureka. Both left on the tree for a hard freeze (24 degrees). Not much difference in the TK but the Eureka started softening nicely. With about 60-70 of these left on the tree I’m gonna have to do something…I’m thinking persimmon jam…

7 Likes

What can every person who’s eaten WS 8-10 / Barbra’s Blush tell me about it in comparison to another cultivar or cultivars. I’ve heard two accounts only and haven’t tried (a) Barbra’s Blush on my own. One acct. was written on here that they had visited Cliff England and it was their first place pick with H-63A coming in 2nd place at Cliff’s. The other acct. was a person from Europe @Harbin who ‘stated’ it was his favorite of Americans he had tasted of many it could be surmised.

I picked H-63A as a different note as best at Jerry Lehman’s until we were leaving the orchard and came upon his absolutely loaded and beautiful form (like a short, squat crabapple form; spreading wider than tall) of a ‘Morris Burton’ that definitely had the best flavor of the day. H-63A though was such a beautiful looking fruit being orange and red. It’s large, too. A ‘Morris Burton’ is a nice size persimmon for snacking vs. some of the real larg(er) American persimmons.

7 Likes

I am also interested in this as Barbra’s Blush is one of two cultivar scions I have on order!

1 Like

Where can I find persimmon scions?
Eddie R in Georgia USA

http://www.nuttrees.net/

1 Like

Also try Red Fern Farm (Persimmon, American Scion Wood | Red Fern Farm)
Fruitwood Nursery: American Persimmon Scionwood and Seeds

Or sleuth out who has what on this forum and offer to trade or buy from folks.

2 Likes

I have a tall tale from west-central Indiana. Bear with me. When I was small, my folks visited some very distant “relatives,” who lived two or three hours away, to dig up persimmon seedlings. I know this is asking for a suspension of belief.

One “took” in our yard and produced very well for us until we moved away. Sadly the house and tree are both gone now. The fruit were 1-1/4" diameter, seeded, with a purple and orange frosted skin. The only thing Mom ever did with them was bake persimmon pudding. She used a recipe that didn’t “set” — sort of like this one, I think:

http://persimmonpudding.com/recipes/puddings/pudding006.html

The tree was the only one we knew of nearby, so it must have been self-fertile although I do not recall any seedlings coming up in the yard under it. I think, now, it may have been “Early Golden.”

When my dad was alive, he couldn’t remember exactly the place where we dug it up. I suppose it was around Clinton County, IN. I don’t remember who the relatives were. They may have been close to my mother’s adopted parents or her sister’s adopted parents, so it’s a lost cause trying to recover that piece of my childhood.

It was peculiar that we’d try digging up a persimmon because the transplant success rate is so low. I suppose we must’ve had directions from the farm we visited, and they knew what they had and how to handle the seedlings.

1 Like