Persimmon rootstock for 2021

Anyone have a line on where to buy persimmon rootstocks? I can’t find a site that isn’t sold out.

1 Like

pretty sure burnt ridge is selling 2 sizes of seedling right now

2 Likes

I tried ordering from here this year.

My normal source was sold out earlier than last year. I’ll try starting my own seedlings going forward.

4 Likes

What’s the best size to order for grafting?
1-2’ or 2-3’ ???

1 Like

probably at least 2-3 in my past experience–a 12’ seedling might sound like plenty to lop off for grafting, and is, but the problem is it’ll be thin, like the thickness of a pencil lead. That’s a tough graft to line up well, and not much mass for holding water or nutrients, either in the rootstock or matched scion, to nurse both through callusing.

even the 2-3 will probably mean you have at least a few that are pretty hairy to graft this year, persimmon seedlings tend to be pretty whippy (again, in my experience) rather than relatively fat and uniform sticks like a lot of the apple and pear rootstock I see (although that is also usually cut off at the top–if might be a 12" rootstock but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the thing was closer to 3’ when pulled from the stoolbed)

3 Likes

I got the 2-3 foot tall ones. I always get the largest possible. It makes grafting easier and I normally get better growth. Hopefully they come with good roots. That seems to be a very important factor when buying bareroot persimmon seedlings when you want to graft them right away.

3 Likes

Yikes they ware a little expensive! Now I hope to find some scions!!!

1 Like

i think they were a bit cheaper at burnt ridge, although their shipping was batsh.t high this year :frowning:

1 Like

Pikes Peak and Cold Stream Farm are where we usually order stuff for work. I’m not sure if Pikes Peak Ships and its a 50 tree minimum per order, but they are super affordable . You could ninja plant extras all over the neighborhood!

Additionally I got a few good sized ones at Englands!

4 Likes

I wish I had wait till you uploaded your post about pikespeaknurseries.net ! But thanks for the info!

2 Likes

They are great! We get stuff there for work almost every year. They have been around for a long time and are local for me so I picked up my pears and blueberries there. A co-worker got some very nice looking bare root apples there for a very good price ( I think like 14 bucks per tree for 5-7ft tall trees)

4 Likes

Looks like Cold Stream just sold out of the 2-3 foot trees.

I could only get 14 of those so I end up getting some of the 1-2 foot trees.

1 Like

Persimmon rootstock, what’s best for grafting? My preference is planting seeds at the spots you choose. You than graft the second spring. Why? At my yard, very rocky you need the taproot, especially during a drought summer. What I found out, the taproot can handle drought a lot better, the tree growth is faster.

8 Likes

Check you local soil and water county office. Mine sales persimmon seedlings that I use for rootstock. The sale other trees as well, you can use as rootstock like plum.

1 Like

These are big bare root and hard to fit in 5 gallon deep pots. Native Persimmons - Womack Nursery

4 Likes

I ordered 50 from this place.

They are suposed to ship the end of the month and were quite affordable.

1 Like

You might want to see if your local conservation has an annual tree sale. Mine does and I was able to get seedlings at the price of 5 for 6.00 (1.20 each) last year. I bought them to graft named varieties on to them at a later date.

Editing to say that I didn’t see BobC’s post before I suggested this. I am agreeing with him.

1 Like

If you want to graft this year, the natives I ordered from England’s are 3-4 ft and $10 per tree. For me it was worth trying to get a couple of years head start, and Cliff has a few really good scions you can probably get too.

3 Likes

Try Forest Keeling nursery in MO, they used to sell persimmon seedlings, not sure about now.