Persimmon Shade Tolerance

Passed by a persimmon tree today completely engulfed in shade, but was absolutely loaded with fruit. Looked like fuyu. It received a tiny bit of filtered light, but basically not much at all the entire season. Is that a fluke or are persimmon trees(asian) really that shade tolerant?

1 Like

Maybe it was in shade just that moment you psssed by? Maybe it gets sun rest of the day? My persimmon tree is also in part shade. It’s a young tree and hasn’t fruited yet. But this year it grew about 5 feet. So far It’s doing great. But I don’t know if it’ll produce as well in part shade as it’s growing.

What I’ve noticed from the wild persimmons here is that they still fruit fully even if they only get a couple hours of direct sun but will crop about a month later than those growing in full sun. Those I see growing in part shade without direct sun still make some fruit but not much (like 5 fruits). Maybe some varieties produce better in part shade.

2 Likes

This one was against the house with much larger trees surrounding and covering. Pretty sure it got moments of sunlight, but impressive for such a dark area.
Five foot of growth out of a persimmon is also impressive. How big was it before the growth and what variety? I have been holding back on planting more persimmon in fear of their growth. Deer really love them.

I have wild persimmon growing in the woods around my house. In the woods they are tall and skinny only fruiting on the very tip top. Full sun they are short and fat and fruit everywhere.
I have noticed its like that with all fruit. They produce, but they are smaller and like you said ripen later than full sun.

1 Like

Do persimmons that ripen late in the year such as Oct/Nov, require full sun during summer?
I’m looking for shade tolerant fruit tree (any variety) to place within an area shaded by large trees that will eventually lose their leaves. During summer (now)the area only provides 3-4 hours of direct sun. Spring/early summer provides more sun as the leaves aren’t entirely full. The shaded area will only increase with time as the massive trees continue to grow…

Many fruit trees will work. As you decrease the amount of sun the fruit is smaller and less of it though. I would suggest American Persimmon or PawPaw. Both are good with shade.

2 Likes

Look into growing kolomikta or arguta kiwis. They do just fine in part shade.

1 Like