Persimmon

Definitely. I don’t think chromosome when I think persimmon.

Dax

From my experience in central Europe I can say that 2-5 male trees can pollinate 120 females in close proximity. They all have seeded fruits. My Early Golden doesn’t form male flowers so far but the trees are still young. I actually don’t mind the seeds as most of the fruit go to fermentation, but the male trees will be eventually regrafted to females. Jerry is probably right that the male persimmon trees in orchards are unnecessary.

I’ve grown both seeded and un-seeded Giboshi (Smith’s Best) kaki at different locations. The seeded ones tasted far better than the unseeded. I’ve also heard the same thing from other growers, although can’t remember where. Would like to hear from others about this. I used to grow a male pollinator called Gailey but it died and I can’t find another Gailey anywhere- it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

1 Like

I grow Szukis on purpose. In the Clayton trials (persimmon nerd alert) , the ones that tasted the best were equally affected by the male and female. I have also been told and have experienced that the seeded ones were larger and better tasting. I like to plant the seeds to make more persimmon babies. I am way out of native range and you have no chance of finding a wild persimmon in the forest here. I like Early Golden but I like Garretson best. My others haven’t fruited yet. You can tell the male from the female when they are flowering. The male flowers are smaller and more numerous. More bunched together also.
John S
PDX OR

6 Likes

Finally a good persimmon crop. The 3 previous years have consisted of a hurricane so I pulled off all fruit to keep from losing the tree, followed by another hurricane the next year and then a late freeze last year. This year we had another 2 hurricanes but decided to keep the fruit and luckily everything was fine.
This Hana persimmon must have produced a good number of male flowers because all the fruit is seeded.

23 Likes

Beautiful tree shape and fruit.

4 Likes

Strong work Mark!

3 Likes

Hana fuyu have male flowers?. I have this variety grafted but still small graft and i hope in couple of years to see first fruits :grin:.

I had this year good crop not good as yours but for me its enough fruits to eat :smiley:.
This is my persimmon and this year i had in almost every fruits seeds in it but i had another male pollinator tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuRmh3zpCk

6 Likes

I saw your video on FB. Congratulations you worked well.

2 Likes

Do you know the name of the male persimmon variety that pollinated your trees?

Here are some seeds found in Kavkaz fruit, grafted in this spring of 2018. It was next to JBT6 which flowered at the same time.
If the seeds grow it makes kavkaz x JBT6.

4 Likes

Your persimmons are PVNA? Would you show us a picture of what the inside of the pollinated fruit looks like?

Male tree was not variety that was unknown seedling that i bought as persimmon.
This fruit was from my male pollinator tree (tree had male and female flowers on same tree).

@ PharmerDrewee

Yes its PVNA variety.
This is how fruit looks inside.
I just eat this fruit and taste is sweet as honey and fruit had 4 seeds in it :smile:.

10 Likes

Yes, but it varies year to year. Some years I have no seeded fruit but usually a small percentage will have seeds. This year all fruit is fully seeded.

1 Like

It is my understanding that PVNA should look like this
CoffeeCakePartial
Note the dark flesh around the seed. This is a partial pollinated Coffee Cake from my orchard.

6 Likes

Very pretty fruit. It makes my mouth water. Will you plant the seeds to see if you get a new tree that’s cold hardy and tasty?

I would plant seeds if i had enough space but i am on lack of space i have very small garden and to much fruit trees :disappointed_relieved:.

2 Likes

This is one more of my grafted persimmon trees with different shaped fruits but i don’t know variety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGcm12hwDk

1 Like

My Hachiya persimmon was super slow to wake up this year (zone 7b New Mexico). Cooler than normal spring, but no freak hail storms or freezes like we often have. I had fruits growing on my peaches in May and the persimmon looked dead. I scraped the bark, and one branch indeed was, but the rest was still green. June came, or daytime temps got reliably into the mid-high eighties, and now it’s full of giant happy green leaves. :slight_smile: I think they’re just REALLY slow to come out of dormancy.

2 Likes

A persimmon video .
From Edible landscaping
https://youtu.be/5J8qpm8jI0M

9 Likes