Persimmon

I watched this video when it came out and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately they didn’t review a couple of their varieties— Miss Kim and Kung San Bansi. Does anyone have info on taste and ripening time relative to others?

2 Likes

Dang,I need to get 2 more now, where will I put them?

2 Likes

Miss Kim might fruit for me next year if I get lucky. It grew a lot this year. I just grafted KSBS this year.

1 Like

Some new to me varieties that are waking up nicely after late grafting. I’ve got at least another 12 grafts budding out.

Kyung San Ban Si

Inchon, Cheong Pyong, Kurogaki x Hokkaido

An ambitious 20th Century I grafted last year that’s trying to fruit. I missed this one until now, and clipped it off to allow for better growth and establishment.

14 Likes

Looking excellent Andrew.

1 Like

That looks still firm. Were you brave enough to taste it? Was the part around the seed palatable?

Wow, I feel lucky. My Prok fruit (~180 fruits over 2 seasons) have been entirely seedless. No males around.

3 Likes

I’ve come to learn only recently that ‘Prok’ is an all female selection (pistillate flowers only).

Thanks for your comments @jrd51

Dax

1 Like

I have a persimmon tree I planted couple of years ago, right now it has NG, Saijo and IKKJ grafted on it. It’s growing vigorously. But no fruit or flowers even. I just pruned it again. Is there anything I can do to promote flowers? I didn’t fertilize it at all. Should I fertilize with a fertilizer high in P and K?

I’m wondering the same thing. Most of mine are at least lightly flowering after 2-3 years. What else can we do to promote flowering/fruiting besides waiting? You can probably tell I’m an impatient gardener.

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of problems with my persimmon also. First, I had ordered Saijo but last year the baby fruits were clearly not Saijo shaped. Second, it dropped all the small fruit for two years now. Third, it grows these long whip like branches and I haven’t been able to get it under control. When I prune it back, I feel like I’m cutting all the future flowers off.

1 Like

Jim, it sounds like your variety just wants to become a large tree. I have some that do that too, while others want to stay dwarfed. They slow down once the whips grow secondary branches. I think the energy required to form fruit also zaps the vigor. I have 2 supposed Saijo trees that are flowering. If the fruit hold and identity is confirmed, I can send you cuttings to graft.

3 Likes

@Susu I think another problem is you only have 1 tree. A few more probably wouldn’t hurt your yard :smiley:

1 Like

That does sound like a problem we have to find a solution to. Put in couple more trees next spring?
I’m fed up with what I have already though. Ground hog and squirrels always lurking just waiting to destroy my hard work. No gratification instant or otherwise so far. I can count the fruit I’ve harvested with one hand. Even those were not fully ripe.

3 Likes

I gave up on my nectarine for the same reason (squirrels removing all the fruit).

I had IKKJ, but a cold blast took it out. The rootstock has returned, but I haven’t decided what to graft onto it (it is now an understory tree)

Scott

1 Like

You can go to Chinatown in Philadelphia and buy potted persimmons and Asian pears. They normally have flowers or small fruitlets. That’s what I did for my mom to get her excited about fruit trees.

6 Likes

Can anyone speak on how tall rossyanka can get? I’m wanting a shade tree on the south side of my house.

The info I got on Rossyanka from Cliff England is 16 feet on a 25 y/o tree.

1 Like

I’ve heard that Rosseyanka is more vigorous than Saijo. Also seen many videos and photos of the same.
I think it will get over 25 feet tall.

My 5 year old Saijo is over 16 feet tall.

1 Like

Hello!

Here is a link to my video about our multi-varietal persimmon tree, which I grow in Ukraine in the city of Nikolaev. I’m sorry, but my comments on the video are in Russian, but I think the meaning is clear. In total, about 25 varieties of persimmon are grafted onto the tree, about 20 of them are already bearing fruit.

13 Likes