Persimmons, 2019

C02 treatment is to dissolve the tannin (astringency) so you can eat the astringent persimmon hard and crunchy and don’t have to wait until soft ripen. Just like eating a astringent Hachiya firm like a Fuyu non astringent persimmon. The flavor is based on the varieties.

2 Likes

Do you know how many hours would one normally do this? I assume we could achieve the same thing by using sealable containers and flushing them with Co2 from a tank or carboy?

Not sure but some members are doing trial on it. Maybe @ramv?
Or else you can put an astringent persimmon in a plastic container and put a glass of Volka in it and seal it tight. This will work too.

1 Like

Without side by side comparison, I would not be able to tell the difference between Hachiya and Rojo Brillante in a quick glance.
Looking at them side by side, Hachiya (on the left) has a little pointy end (some do not have as pronounced pointy end as the one in the pic). Rojo Brillante (on the right)does not have a pointy end.

7 Likes

they have different texture too! pic of inside please!

Here’s the answer to your question from another thread:

Mikatani

Oct 17

There is a lot of hear say and speculations about the many ways to remove astringency from persimmons…most will work but have serious disadvantages:
Freezing works very often but destroys the structure of the flesh, the flesh gets an unpleasant glassy-silicon like structure. The fruit cannot be kept once you thaw them, they will start to rot if not consumed.
Placing the persimmons close to other ripe fruit like apples or bananas will hasten the softening process but it will also turn the flesh to a mushy state instead of gelatinous like when it naturally softens.
The alcohol treatment has the same effect as the ripe fruit method…
The only method that I can recommend to every persimmon grower is the CO2 treatment like it is commercially done with most of the kaki production in Europe. This treatment is very simple and can be done at home. All you need is a soda stream…if you do not have this already than this is perhaps a good time to purchase one.
Here is how it works: all you need is a decent sized airtight plastic bag (no punctures!!!). Put your freshly picked astringent persimmons in the bag until half full. Squeeze the top of the bag tight and suck the air out using your mouth/inhaling. Stick the nozzle of the soda stream carefully in the opening where you just sucked the air out and push the button of your soda stream so the bag fills with CO2 gas. Tie the top of the bag with a piece of binding wire to keep the CO2 gas in. Put the bag with persimmons in a box or preferably a bucket with lid so that you can close it airtight. Leave this for 48 to 72 houres at room temperature. After this procedure your persimmons will still be firm but without astringency and very important: your persimmons will not rot and you can still store them. They will even go on to turn gelatinous like all persimmons do eventually. This method requires some testing because some varieties need only 48hrs while others may need 72hrs. you can easily test your variety using only a pair of persimmons and raising or lowering the treatment time until you have reached perfection.
One of the varieties that can easily be treated is Nikita’s gift…

6 Likes

Hachiya is on the right. Jello texture. Fun to eat. Delish.

@tonyOmahaz5 cut up Rojo Brillante for you.

8 Likes

Yes, as many cultivars as everyone could slice and photograph would be excellent to see.

1 Like

Thank you!

Here you go!

Vaniglia on the left and 20th Century on the right. Both excellent persimmons. Vaniglia is a PVNA, this persimmon is edible off the tree since it was pollinated.

11 Likes

Scott,
How cold tolerant is 20th, please? Someone suggested I grow it but I think I need to grow it in a pot.

Rojo Brillante
At the local Walmart store.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting the Walmart persimmons. I just happened to have checked last night and bought 2 bags. The color is a little pale. They weren’t super flavorful, but are very sweet in spite of the light color. And of course can be eaten crunchy. I cut out the stamen with a paring knife and then ate the whole thing out of hand.

There were a few brown areas, if I weren’t used to persimmons they probably would have been off-putting.

2 Likes

It has been my best Fuyu-type, little or no dieback ever. Jiro is right next to it and does much worse. It also has bigger fruits. Very tasty too!

1 Like

I had some dieback on first year grafts of 20th century with a hard winter (for my officially zone 7b location) two or three years ago, but my established 20th century tree didn’t have any dieback. If I remember correctly, some other non-astringent varieties I had grafted the same year – I think it was TamKam and Gwang Yang – died back completely to the rootstock, but the 20th century grafts survived with dieback, and I think all the astringent kaki varieties I grafted that year were completely fine.

2 Likes

hachiya the big on left? what is the small one on the right?

I just tasted the percinnamon fruits. To my taste, they were underwhelming. Flavorwise, nothing special, no better than the 49 cent bulk bin Fuyu/Jiro that we get at the Asian store.

Someone please tell me that a properly ripened Rojo Brillante is better than this. My tree is young and hasn’t fruited yet. – Soft Hachiya or crunchy PVNA Coffee Cake from the Asian store are so much more flavorful. Home grown Saijo and Nikita’s gift are way better than this also.

2 Likes

They were pick a little early and pale. Just let them ripen a little more on the counter and they will get better. @aap really like his tree ripened Rojo Brillante.

1 Like

The small one on the right is Yates, an American persimmon. It is very sweet (compared to Asian persimmon). Texture is gooey soft.

I bought some and kept most of them for several weeks last year before eating, since I wanted them to get soft and they do not ripen quickly. They do get better at that point, definitely better than fuyu, but they won’t get close to how flavorful a soft hachiya can be. They get sweeter too.

3 Likes