Persimmons 2021

Yeah, understood. Ideally the variety would also be late to break bud in spring. IKKJ has performed well enough on both counts.

My experience with figs is that if temperatures drop no lower than +5 F, an in-ground tree can survive here with only modest damage. But at 0 F or lower, the trees are killed to the ground. In my 10 years here, half of them had winter low temperatures below 0 F and as low as -7 F. The lesson is that 5 degrees can make all the difference.

I don’t want to invest years in a persimmon tree only to see it killed. So I’ll limit my search to varieties that are supposed to be hardy in Z6A (-5 to -10 F).

1 Like

Which American persimmons do you have? How many American persimmons are you planning on having?

Have you considered you might have a variant on the branch and graft it to a rootstock to see if its actually earlier which would be very interesting, maybe graft a later scion also so you could compare them side by side??

I didn’t realize how straight (or tall) they grew. My wild Virginia persimmons definitely aren’t that straight!

Tallest ones I’ve ever seen. They are competing with oaks, cypress, tulip trees, hickories and sweetgums for light …so they grew straight up with them. Not really sure how old they are. I’m guessing there close to 80ft tall.

@Barkslip – Not sure who you’re asking. My only American currently is Prok. I will graft H63A, Barbra’s Blush, Dollywood and maybe H 120. That list should look familiar.

That will be too many, but it’s all a big experiment and deer can eat what I don’t.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, it was you I was asking, & great list.

Lol! I figured you’d approve. It’s basically your list of top picks. Thanks for the guidance in past posts.

1 Like

Lol, too, here. I had great list in quotes and then re-typed to put it in one sentence. So definitely we were thinking exactly the same thing! ha ha ha yo player!

1 Like

Here in this video you can see three of my Asian persimmon trees this year :smile:.

6 Likes

Happy New Crop!

24 Likes

First Thanks to @PharmerDrewee for stopping by and sharing these beauties with me. I was waiting for everything to ripe and report all at once.

Korean Giant and Drippin Honey were excellent and were best one I ever had tasted all pears.

Korean Giant

Drippin Honey

As for as persimmons Saijo , Jiro and Nishimura Wase stands out from all others. I do not have much experience growing persimmons. All others were good too and I still have to taste Tipo.

Saijo

Nishimura Wase

Jiro

Picudo + Tipo

15 Likes

Hey Tony,
I’ve read some of the info you have posted about your zone 5 trials of kaki, and I’d like to ask some more detailed questions if you don’t mind. What would be the best way for me to do that? Or should I just do it here?

Do you (or anyone else) have info on which hybrids it works for? I’m getting ready to plant out 2 suckers that I grafted to last spring and would like to do those which have the best chance of producing non-astringent (even if CO2 is needed) fruit.

The candidates (I think, as I haven’t successfully dug them yet):
JT-02 (Mikkusu)
NB-02 (Zima Khurma)
Kassandra
Rosseyanka

1 Like

Do you grow any other asian persimmons besides miss kim, nikitas gift, chienting?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been trying to grow non-astringent Asian persimmons for a while. My house is fine in most years, but we had a few winters 3-4 years ago which killed them to the ground (-8 to -10F). So, I’ve been planting them at some rentals which are closer to the ocean (1 vs 5 miles) and will hopefully be warmer (aside from global warming making everywhere warmer…). A few are on the South side of houses, so that may help as well.

Chinebuli which I grafted last spring:

I’m also growing:
Tam Kam
IKKJ
Jiro
Gwang Yang

The only NA I’ve fruited so far was a potted Jiro which produced 2 excellent fruit in the first year I had it (7 gal from JFaE). It’s planted in-ground now at a rental.

In terms of astringent Asian persimmons, there are a few others, which I took pictures of in post #332/335 (strangely the URL uses 335, while the page says 332) in this thread:

There are some other hybrids as well, such as JT-02, NB-02, Kassandra, Rosseyanka, etc. None of which have fruited yet.

4 Likes

would you let me know the ripening time of miss kim? i think it is abit ealier than NG. as well as ripening time of Tam kam and gwang yang as it fruits for you. i dont hear too much about these varieties so it would be very helpful to know more about when they ripen.

I never got the astringency out of NH, even though it was high brix, so I’m not positive it was “ripe”. Miss Kim wasn’t bad. I waited as long as possible to pic, after the leaves dropped (November 18th). Then, it was ready almost immediately, probably from going through a frost.

I’ve never gotten fruit from Tam Kam or Gwang Yang. I had a large Tam Kam, which was just getting ready to fruit which got killed ~4 years ago. I’ve got more small ones at the rentals and may get fruit in the next year or two if it doesn’t get super cold again. Of course, it used to get that cold most years, Now, it often doesn’t get below zero and 2 of the last 3 years were around +10F (some figs had little dieback with no protection).

5 Likes

i had NG years ago it was in end of Nov i believe it had already been through frost so i didnt taste any astrigency. its rather popular and reliable for PNW. i limited in space so i no longer grow it.

1 Like

@BobVance – What are the varieties killed at -8 to -10 F? And ages? I’m just trying to understand what varieties are vulnerable. Thx.