Persimmons 2021

Rojo Brillante branches broke due to heavy weight of fruit. I retrieved 3 to keep indoors. They were way too small but still colored up from pure green.
Zero astringency but not yet sufficiently sweet.

7 Likes

it is not necessary to wait until frost.
Just pick the fruit when it naturally falls down.
I agree that it is best to let it ripen as long as possible in the tree.

4 Likes

My average frost date is Oct 15th , since it was my first Prok can stay longer but I was too excited to pick.

1 Like

Not many of these, but this is meader. About inch and a half. I have lots of wilds around so I expect some seeds.

5 Likes

Hi Ram,
Sorry to hear your news, I had that occur on my Honeycrisp apple tree, so I know how you feel!
Dennis

Sorry to hear that.

How many more fruit are on your RB tree?

Your Meader looks nice. Visited my brother NE of Nashville last week. His Meader is starting to color on the tree. I wasn´t impressed with taste of those I found on the ground already. Stopped and visited England´s Nursery in McKee, Ky, about 2.5 hours distant from my brother. Cliff generously let me taste-test a few varieties – all quite lovely, especially an unnamed Saijo x hybrid cross. Came away with a small Barbara’s Blush Persimmon and a seedling of Lehman´s Big Girl Pawpaw.

6 Likes

Thankfully a bunch left — probably around 25-30. Starting to color up
slightly now. I feel it will develop a decent level of sweetness even in our mild summer climate. But it remains to be seen.

3 Likes

I tried my first Nishimura Wase today. It somehow got pollinated, probably from its own few male flowers. @cousinfloyd No other persimmons in my yard had any observable male flowers this year. It was very crunchy, and sweet. I prefer when they are starting to slightly soften, and juicy. The 5 seeds were still soft and not dark brown yet. This is amazing to be eating non-astringent persimmons this early in Pennsylvania.

Here’s the rest of the tree. I can’t believe how productive it is only planted 2 years ago. There must be nearly 100 fruit.

23 Likes

That’s a cool looking tree.

2 Likes

It’s 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide. I haven’t pruned it much since planting other than taking scions for trade, and a few branches in the middle with very narrow angles. The form is very bushy.

2 Likes

Is this a very cold hardy tree Drew? You are making me rethink my persimmon choices :rofl:

Edit : I would be pushing pretty hard on this one.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s particularly cold hardy for a kaki. There is a pollination variant hybrid out there though that should do well on your side of the mountains though. My area doesn’t have particularly cold winters all the time. I’m hoping this one produces well for a few years at least if it eventually gets killed one winter.

5 Likes

You should start saving a scion for yourself each year just in case.

4 Likes

I’ll likely redirect my efforts into that pollination variant hybrid going forward, or other cold hardier kaki of which I have plenty.

4 Likes

This is the first year that my Jiro ( Fuyu ) is holding fruits! I planted the tree three years ago and the following year I grafted chocolate and coffeecake and I know some of the grafts didn’t took but I have for the first time seen fruits on the tree and I don’t know what variety could be the other one besides the Jiro. Some help to identify the variety would be appreciated. I’m leaning towards coffecake but not sure.
Uploading: 01419B0B-B6CD-487B-8674-0F25C7820F8C.jpeg… Uploading: A6D2FD5B-9FD9-497F-AA23-0C232DC9387A.jpeg… image image image

Sorry to heard about your Rojo Brillante, that happened to one of the branches of my Jiro as well.
Too bad is to late for grafting otherwise would be great addition of RB and use of the broken branches.

7 Likes

Any word on when that PVNA hybrid becomes available? I haven’t seen it in Cliff’s listings yet.

I’m really not sure. The best bet would probably be to send him an email inquiry.

1 Like

Miss Kim is starting to turn orange. It seems earlier than the other astringent varieties that are fruiting this year. There doesn’t seem to be too many out there growing this variety. @BobVance did yours fruit again this year?

13 Likes

How do you like it? Is it the earliest ripening non-astringent you have? Which one ripens next?

1 Like