Persimmons 2022

My NG slowly turning color…

12 Likes

All my hybrid/asian persimmons have almost no color on them. This is quite unusual even for us in the cool PNW.
I did try a Nikita’s gift a few days ago – ripened from green. It had no flavor and little sweetness.
I hope they get enough heat units to sweeten them before November.

2 Likes

Rojo Brillante persimmon… They are like a very sweet persimmon pudding! :yum:

22 Likes

Man! I just had my first persimmon of the year. I touched the tree and the fruit fell. Fruit freakout hit me and before I realized it, I had gobbled that thing up! I just smashed it! I couldn’t help myself. It was a Nikitas Gift. It was all Asian and no American flavor. Sweet but not cloying, It could have stood maybe two more days but to be honest I liked the texture. There was still a hint of astringency. Not puckering and not unpleasant but not like when one is water balloon, sugar bomb ripe.

1 Like

Nikita’s gift usually stays on the tree well past leaf fall into December. It doesn’t drop like an American persimmon.
Your next fruit will likely be sweeter and less astringent.

@ramv – Just as a point of reference, here are mine. Big ones are IKKJ; small ones (top) are Kassandra.

12 Likes

Magnificent view, Joe!

Way further along than here Joe!
My Kasandra graft on Jiro has taken off so there should be lots of fruit next year. I have a small tree that is also loaded with fruit.

1 Like

A small loaded wild TN American …roadside here at my place. It had a good crop last year too. It is in a morning sun location and seems to like it. It is around 8 ft tall and wide.

6 Likes

If the fruits are seeded then there is a male tree nearby.

1 Like

That’s nice to see that Kassandra ripens rather early. Only Nishimura Wase, some Matsumoto and some Jiro are yellow/orange here.

@SMC_zone6 Did any of your hybrid trees produce both male and female flowers this year?

Are you sure that it’s Kasandra? Fruits should be more elongated and pointed like here:

At least mine are.

1 Like

@Harbin – It was bought as Kassandra from Cliff England. It also looks the same as the Kassandra fruit posted elsewhere by @RedSun.

And see Post #20 here:

Have you fruited it yourself or are you relying on the picture?

@tonyOmahaz5 … they had seeds last year… i have never found a wild american that did not.
I have not tried one of those yet… this year… they ripen later since they get no evening sun.

All along the road there are other persimmon trees… some with no fruit… some perhaps to young to fruit or perhaps males.

Last weekend I found 3 persimmon trees in a little cluster… and one had a dozen or so fruit on it.

But they were over grown with lots of brush and other tree limbs seriously limiting the light they were getting. I took care of that… they have their own nice little clearing now getting much more light… hopefully i get more fruit from that little cluster of persimmon trees next year.

1 Like

Yes I had some fruits on my container tree last year. The shape was identical to the picture I have posted which was made by Cliff England, by the way. I also think that it’s a mid to late variety.

Cliff describes it as mid-season. His pictures here do not look nearly as oblong as yours.

Great Wall, parent of Kasandra, is roundish maybe slightly square. Not oblong.

Same for Rossyanka, the other parent. Very round, not oblong.

So I don’t know where an oblong shape would come from.

In any case, the picture from Cricket Hill Farm does not look like the picture from England’s (past) website,

Looks like there is a male somewhere in the vicinity of all the wild persimmon trees. If you are curious to find a male tree then next late May or early june just looks at the flowers on those trees. A single flower is a female. A cluster of three flowers is a male. You can label it as a male for cross breeding down the road.

@tonyOmahaz5 … thanks for the details… i had no idea how to tell male/female.

Ps… yesterday evening i found a couple more young persimmons in the edge of the woods… not far from where my yard ends.

They are a little hard to see in the pic below…

They are both around 15 ft tall… but not very bushy. That treeline faces north… so they get nothing but indirect light.

Both trees have 16 or so fruit on.

There were lots of other tree limbs and saplings growing right in there with them… that blocked a lot ot the indirect light they were getting. I cleared that out so they will at least get more indirect light.

Wild americans will fruit… even if getting only some indirect light. With more light perhaps they will fruit more next year.

4 Likes