Persimmons 2022

I’m not confident that any of my PCNA trees are true to type. I bought an Izu that turned out to be astringent, so I got a replacement. The replacement’s fruit is non-astringent and round in shape and not as flat, so that should match the basic description of that cultivar. But my Izu is indistinguishable from my Wase Fuyu and Maekawa Jiro; all three ripen at the same time and have fruit that looks and tastes the same. I would have expected the Izu to be rounder and the WF and MJ to be more square shaped and flatter. I’d also expect Izu to ripen a bit earlier.

3 Likes

I also got a mis-labeled Izu which I believe to be some sort of Jiro.

I’ve since grafted to it Izu from Fruitwood Nursery, and Matsumoto Wase Fuyu from a member.

Those two are clearly distinct from one another. The young leaves are a different color on the same tree. The Matsumoto Wase has very round fruit, its hard to picture them being rounder. It fruited directly on the freshly grafted limbs. The Izu hasn’t fruited yet.

My Fuyugaki, and Nikita’s gift also look very round, and similar size this year. Although that Fuyugaki was from a nursery that gave me a mislabeled Saijo, that wasn’t even a kaki.

3 Likes

Do you mind posting pictures of yours for comparison? I’ll snap some pictures when I pick mine later this week. We are expecting a hard freeze in about a week so I want to store them safely inside.

Started picking IKKJ today. A few ripened on the tree, probably after damage. The vast majority will need to be ripened indoors.

FYI, I weighed a half dozen. Weights ranged from 185 g to 240 g. Size is 2 1/2 - 3 inches square x 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep.

16 Likes

Setting a few Jiro persimmons aside for ripening.

11 Likes

I didn’t know you could graft persimmon to Osage orange.

I haven’t picked mine yet, but he time is coming soon.

It’s on the top of a Nikita’s Gift:

I noticed a damaged fruit on the Miss Kim. If you look closely, there are little dark dots in the fruit. I’m not sure, but did a small animal (vole?) poop in it while eating???

So, I picked the rest of my Miss Kim- just under 40 lbs total from the tree. A big step up from the 6-10 fruit I’ve gotten in past years.

I’ve got some in a garbage bag with CO2, as I think that was supposed to work with Asian persimmons, like Miss Kim. Anyone have a good suggestion as to how long they need before being completely and totally non-astringent?

Are PCNA ever “slightly” astringent when under-ripe (yellow/orange)? I split a IKKJ today with my daughter and while it was mostly OK, both of us detected it when about halfway through. It wasn’t bad, but both of us decided to pass on the rest (my wife would have been fine eating it, but is traveling with her parents).

13 Likes

I’m ahead of you in terms of ripening, and we’ve already eaten all of our Izu and Maekawa Jiro fruit (the closest trees to the house). Here are pictures of Wase Fuyu (on the left) and Ichi Ki Kei Jiro (on the right). I should have included a ruler for scale, but these fruit are both 2.5 inches in diameter.

My Wase Fuyu fruit is indistinguishable to me from my Izu and Maekawa Jiro fruit. IKKJ is clearly different with its square shape and later ripening time.

I grew Tam Kam and had a lot of (larger square) fruit off my tree, but it finally died from kaki sudden death syndrome.

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that as well. Seems to be most noticeable the closer you are to the stem end and in or just under the skin.

3 Likes

That’s a very impressive harvest. This is a good persimmon to have lots of. They lose astringency and soften very quickly indoors with a banana or apple nearby.

My nonastringent varieties do have some sort of astringency when they aren’t bright orange. It’s as if the fruit is still full of tree sap or something. This dissipates once the fruit is a darker orange from being left on the tree or kept indoors for a couple weeks.

2 Likes

Your Wase Fuyu and IKKJ look right in shape from what I understand. Izu has a similar shape to Fuyu but it really should ripen earlier. How do the leaves and bark look on the trees? Do you notice any difference there?

Now I question my own Wase Fuyu. It’s very round, perhaps too spherical and not oblate enough.

As a side note, here is a tasty Mazugata I had this morning. The pulp was smooth, thick, without too much fiber, and quite sweet. I’m glad I grafted this one. It doesn’t show many dark flecks in the flesh at all despite having 4 seeds.

@@cousinfloyd

12 Likes

Mazugata looks delicious!

I haven’t noticed any differences between the bark or leaves between my Izu, Wase Fuyu and Maekawa Jiro. The Maekawa Jiro seems less productive, but it could just be that it’s in a slightly drier area in my yard. My Izu and Wase Fuyu are planted next to each other. The leaves have all dropped now, but I can give them a closer look to compare next year.

2 Likes

The sunburst pattern on the Wase Fuyu has 8 rays; the pattern on the IKKJ has 10 rays. Is that reliably true across many fruits?

Sorry, I’m being lazy right now after moving dozens of fig trees into storage. I could cut open a bunch of my own IKKJs. . . .

Edit: Later I opened one of my own IKKJ. There were 8 rays.

2 Likes

I find the 8 ray pattern is consistent in my Wase Fuyu (and my Izu and Maekawa Jiro), but my IKKJ fruit have a more variable pattern. My impression is that kaki fruit with more pronounced lobes have a more variable pattern in cross section. My Tecumseh fruit, for example, are deeply lobed and each fruit seems to have a unique pattern in cross section.

2 Likes

Some persimmons from the weekend. Thanks to @mamuang for the Yates!

18 Likes

How large is chuchupaka relative to JT-02 and Kasandra?
How would you rate its flavor?

2 Likes

Slightly smaller than JT-02, but larger than Kasandra. Although, the size of CH seems to vary quite a bit.

CH is excellent. It’s as good as JT-02.

9 Likes

…deleted

That’s what I notice on my little Fuyugaki that I picked early.

I haven’t posted much recently so here goes:
My biggest Persimmon surprise this year was getting so much Szukis. They are tiny. Grape sized mostly. Some blueberry sized, and cherry sized. Very good tasting. I bought it and grafted it because in the Claypool experiments, the male was just as important for flavor as the female. It’s a small, delicate tree-maybe 9 feet. I think that the biochar made a huge difference on this tree because before, the fruit was not really worth eating.

A word of warning-H-118 didn’t keep its fruit for the second year in a row. The flavor is outstanding but when I don’t get fruit I get frustrated. Mine is in a bit of a dry hot area, so I may graft it to a closer area and water more and see if that makes a difference. We are dry as a bone in the summer.

Garrettson was awesome as usual. Early Golden was good but didn’t fruit as much. Campbell NC10 was disappointing again. I think I’ll chop it. I just grafted Yates and it took but no fruit yet. It’s true that I prefer the richer, more complex flavor of the Americans. Saijo is quite good, but just isn’t quite as interesting as the Americans for me.

The ranking in flavor is tough but here goes:
Top: Garretson, H-118, Szukis, Early Golden,…Campell’s NC10 bottom.

John S
PDX OR

11 Likes