Persimmons 2022

Hmm, my Ruby is an oblate fruit. Yours looks more oblong. I have the one from Edible Landscaping. Just wondering where you sourced yours?

It colors up and is edible a couple weeks before Jiro and Tam Kam for me but I didn’t pick mine until the middle of November at which time the seeds were dark and mature.

Jin Yong seems like a good variety here.

16 Likes

Miss Kim is beyond delicious. I would highly recommend it. I’ve eaten 3 of them now. They’re absolutely scrumptious and perfectly balance. Let them get soft where a few places an inch across are beginning to melt inward on itself. And remove the stem and eat the whole thing skin and all. It’s delicious.

10 Likes

<< Miss Kim is beyond delicious. >>

Good to know. I have Miss Kim grafted to a branch on my Prok tree. I’m hoping for fruit next year. My stand-alone graft failed so I plan to try again next spring.

What’s the ripening schedule there? Did you leave them on the tree until now or did you pick them and ripen them indoors.

Apologies if this is a terrible question. I have three small (4-5’) persimmon trees in containers that I brought indoors for the winter. They have all recently dropped their leaves. Do they still need light, despite not having any leaves? I have a grow light in place, but it’s fairly weak and I’m wondering if I should supplement it. Thanks!

I don’t believe they need supplemental lighting. I know a small nursery that stores theirs in a sea van for the winter. I don’t think there is any lighting in it.

Just make sure they don’t dry completely out or get warm enough to start growing prematurely.

1 Like

Hi there,
No, they won’t need any supplemental light. You will need to keep them lightly moist though-out the winter.

No light needed if No leafs .
But , I would think they need some time at cool temperatures ~40F to meet their winter chill requirements. Most temperate trees do. Not sure really , with persimmons.? They may survive the winter , but fail to leaf out come spring ?
That would be my concern. What type of persimmons ?

What variety, what zone are you in? I keep mine protected outside in zone 6a but they are a slightly tougher kaki (tam kam).

7A (Maryland). I’ve got Saijo, IKKJ, and Tam Kam. I didn’t realize persimmon trees had chill requirements. I’ll have to keep that in mind. I’m trying to be careful because last year I potted a bareroot Chocolate persimmon and kept it in a dark room all Winter and it died quickly.

3 Likes

@md_noob
A quick search says kaki needs less than 100 hrs to meet chill requirements. That’s not much , but still necessary.

1 Like

Is it possible you had the potting mix too wet and the roots rotted? My biggest challenge indoors has been fungus gnats.

md_noob –

FYI, for the past few years I’ve been buying a few DV rootstock trees each year, growing them in pots for 1 year, then grafting scions from American, Asian, or hybrid varieties. This requires storing the trees for the winter.

My storage process is simple – I water the trees then stick them in a detached garage that gets no lower than 15-20 F. Alternatively I could put them in another attached garage that gets down to 35-40 F. In the cool environment(s), the trees stay dormant and any chill requirement is more than covered. As noted above, no light is required. I add a little water every month or so just to keep the mix slightly damp.

I’ve never had the slightest damage. This year I’m storing a small purchased potted Cardinal (PCNA kaki), a small grafted (by me) Saiyo (PCA kaki), a small grafted Sheng (also PCA kaki), and some grafted Americans along with 5-6 potted DV rootstock trees, all with complete confidence.

So can you find a suitable corner in your garage?

1 Like

Thanks guys. I should be able to find some garage space for them. And I’ll definitely cut down on my watering habits. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

Found one last persimmon on one of my wild americans this morning. It was at least partially frozen. Will give it a try after dinner tonight.

4 Likes

Some eye candy:
Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Chocolate kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Hana Fuyu kaki

Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang kaki

9 Likes

:yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

Izu-Not kaki

Izu-Not kaki

Izu-Not kaki

Izu-Not kaki

Izu-Not kaki

Izu-Not kaki

Matsumoto Wase kaki

Matsumoto Wase kaki

Matsumoto Wase kaki

Matsumoto Wase kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

Jin Yong kaki

@Luisport :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Miss Kim kaki

Miss Kim kaki

Miss Kim kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

Nishimuru Wase kaki

11 Likes

Rojo Brillante kaki

Rojo Brillante kaki