Persimmons 2022

“like chimps”

Dax

This looks like my Matsumoto Wase Fuyu if no one has replied to this yet. It should be the earlier ripening version.

Here’s the last Miss Kim. I would’ve preferred it a bit harder. This one was more liquid than the others and I waited at least a week to taste it. I’m learning, of course.

(2) seeds while the other (3) had 4-5 seeds:

Jay-Z- “Onto the Next One” (Persimmon) :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I had one to savor this morning while my last Miss Kim was eaten yesterday.

Nishimura Wase
Rich, Incredible flavor:

If you’ve eaten American’s only (not to disclude hybrids - I just haven’t tasted those, either…) this is a whole new exciting world. This kaki was amazing.

7 Likes

I tried to two Miss Kim. They both were soft ripe. I still tasted some astringency. It’s unfortunate.

This is what I’m experiencing and I’m thinking of course about it and the why’s or why not’s.

The first three Miss Kim had zero astringency until 2 minutes after. I attributed that to eating the skin and all.

I’m on a mission to eat the whole thing and never peel it; at least this round.

Miss Kim at the seeds of the first three there was zero astringency. After too ripe, the areas near the seeds had slight-astringency. Also there was astringency afterward immediately vs. the five minutes it took after the first three that I ate.

Onto Nishimuru Wase. Zero astringency at seeds or anywhere while eating. After 5-minutes a slight astringency in my mouth. This one was ripened perfectly. I attribute it to the skin, again.

I am just learning, everyone. I’m learning when to pick it up and eat; how to describe flavor;

So far… I could eat Miss Kim all day like apples but Nishimura Wase is Desert Only at least for me. It’s as rich or richer than a pecan pie I thought an hour ago. I was going to say at some point that the flavor of Nishimuru Wase is 10X more flavorable than any American persimmon I’ve tasted and there’s almost no way to describe it because it’s as complex as the sweetest desserts you could ever eat. It’s a persimmon, however, of course… so it tastes like a persimmon. Persimmons really have it going on.

4 Likes

I did not eat the skin of Miss Kim. I still tasted astringency esp. near the stem.

It tasted ok. If you want intense flavor try fully ripened Yates. That was intense.

You should try some of the other PVNA varieties like Maru and Hyakume. They are all quite outstanding.
This year I got lots of seeds from my attempts at pollinating Jiro x Maru, Nikita’s gift, Kasandra and JT02 x Maru. Also Nishimura Wase x Maru
It would be very interesting to see if a cold tolerant hybrid with PVNA flavor were possible.

4 Likes

super interesting a PVNA hardy hybrid. We are all thinking of eating them as apples now for hybrids (PC’s) which is great to have but flavor is pollen variable varieties. You know there’s more to it. Persimmons can be eaten as so many stages and among all these: “PV PC” stuff. You find your niche.

1 Like

@Barkslip – Given the seeds, you obviously have a pollinator. Do you know what variety is providing the male flowers?

a gift from Pharmerdrewee:

Post 32 above:
This could be the result of the bees bringing Cheong Pyong kaki pollen over.

@PharmerDrewee do you have any other pollinators? @jrd51 wants to know.

6 Likes

Nishimura Wase could’ve very well self pollinated given that it does produce some male flowers.

2 Likes

Going back over the posts, I see that you also have Chocolate. Does that have male flowers too? I know that many people buy both Chocolate and Coffee Cake, as you did, because at least one is a strong pollinator – but I forget which! :slight_smile:

I did buy Chocolate to serve as a pollinator but it has only produced female flowers the last 2 years. The fruit seems to match what Chocolate should look like and it is pollination variant but not fully nonastringent when firm. That last part was disappointing.

If you mix chocolate and coffee cake with fuyu and others will they get contaminated with seeds?

Most likely pollinated and seeded. If not then you’ve got a dearth of pollinating insects.

This is a neighborhood persimmon that I’ve really enjoyed. It is still crunchy and very slightly astringent but really tasty. Does anyone have any idea what variety it might be? It is much smaller than the fuyu types I typically see.

4 Likes

How varied are the tastes between them? And have you had both Zenji and California Maru and are those pretty much the same? I do feel like these are underappreciated since people often don’t want to add them since it can lead to all their other kaki persimmons having seeds, but I agree the taste is worth it.

The bulk of mine are for sale, so seeds are a no no. My personal opinion is that they all have a better depth of flavor with seeds.

1 Like

FWIW, Burnt Ridge says that Coffee Cake is not self-fertile. I know nothing independently.