Persimmons 2022

I have not tried Zenji Maru yet. I have tried California Maru and it is outstanding. Exactly as it is described -cinnamon flavored persimmon.
In these large persimmons approaching 200g, seeds are not intrusive at all. With tiny American persimmons, I would prefer seedless.

Maru is quite popular in California especially SoCal. But Jiro/Fuyu is the most popular by far.

2 Likes

Lots of persimmons till on a tree in Madison Co., Kentucky today…I guess birds & squirrels don’t like persimmons all that much!

(Temp. has been to 14 already this fall).

Saijo
at perfect ripeness

my notes/impression:

I could taste a bit of American on this one. A little richer than Miss Kim. Acutally a decent amount richer.
Astringency (slight, very light) eating skin w/o much flesh. Not gonna be a favorite for me. No astringency at seeds. No astringency if peeled.

10 Likes

Dax,

Are you planning to grow out all those seeds for trials?

3 Likes

I threw away the Saijo’s and kept the others. I’m going to keep anything I like the flavor of. Yea, I’ll grow them for sure in raised beds first and if they survive decent temperatures (-12 or -15) I’ll plant them. That’ll cull em’.

Dax

1 Like

Tam Kam is an excellent choice for PCNA.

Excellent Crunchy-eating PCNA kaki persimmon

Crunchy is delicious, pleasant flavor. Very filling also. I was hungry and my stomach feels full. This is exactly what I would eat often. I’m a huge fan of crunchy, kaki, (PCNA). I haven’t eaten any PVNA at crunchy to compare to and don’t have any right now, either.

10 Likes

This one I ate in different section since I didn’t know it was another PCNA until I asked of course. Like a dummy!

Here we go:

pharmerdrewee’s purchase of ‘Izu’ that isn’t so he calls it ‘Izu-Not’, I suppose.

My ‘report’ is on the bag. I’m not typing it out.

13 Likes

Dax, do you have a refractometer? If so, it will be really helpful to put in a brix result to provide an objective metric in addition to your subjective taste test.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll use it later… thanks, Ram.

continuing on

This one has the least flavor of the PCNA’s I’ve tried today.

Hana Fuyu

My notes upon it:

best-regards,

Dax

7 Likes

I’m done for a short-while.

Miss Kim soft with that outside skin being either chewy or chewy-crunchy is my favorite so far. It’s “spritey” “CRISP”. You can eat them one and then another all day if you want to.

Here’s my final note on Miss Kim

thank-you

5 Likes

PVNA is Nishimuru Wase. I’ll have to eat one hard next time. Dax

Moving on again.

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki (natural light and all photos forward are artificial light)

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki (not a large difference from natural to artificial… the photos are pretty darn spot on for this cultivar and the next two for today.)

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki

Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki

My thoughts…
Matsumoto Wase PCNA kaki

Jin Yong PCNA kaki

Jin Yong PCNA kaki

Jin Yong PCNA kaki

Jin Yong PCNA kaki

Jin Yong PCNA kaki

Notes:

Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang
@PharmerDrewee I found his list on here of PCNA cultivars and this is on it, however near the seeds the flesh became brown and is sweet. I thought the flavor-consistency was supposed to stay the same. I, I just am not sure… (I don’t know if the flavor changed. It certainly was sweeter around the seeds and not off-flavored.)

Here we go:

Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang PCNA kaki

Thanks, Andrew. There’s not much remaining. A Tipo is ready and both Chocolate are.

6 Likes

I’m happy to see your reviews. Jin Yong, Il Mok Jae Cha Ryang, and Tam Kam were my favorites in terms of PCNA fruit. They are all so similar in my eyes except the former 2 ripen a couple weeks earlier. These are young trees and I hope they continue to be cold hardy going forward. Hopefully they will crop better as older trees next year.

4 Likes

“yea” you know everyone reading, you can tell the difference in flavor. both Andrew or me liked the same ones the most. At least the crunchy…

Dax

3 Likes

It seems like the darker color near the seeds may just be that the flesh is translucent and you can see some of the darkness of the seed through it.

Well Murky, flesh is definitely brown. If you read about it, text states the flesh will become more hyper-advanced due to the seeds emitting ethanol and something else.

Another lazy-ish bag report. Chocolate was a dud today. Dax

this is where it fell apart on me

seeds are uniquely-different. They taper same as an axe blade from wide point going top to the bottom. The look like a canoe, a banana, or wooden shoes, too.

3 Likes

Unlucky today.

Tipo PVNA-type

Tipo PVNA-type

Tipo PVNA-type

very-similar to a brown, mushy apple; the juice has all been removed.

3 Likes

@PharmerDrewee – I assume not enough seeds in the Chocolate above to remover the astringency?

It was weird. Even the fully seeded Chocolates weren’t completely brown and nonastringent. Nishimura Wase is much better for me for a common PVNA.

1 Like

Well, that’s good to know. Chocolate is promoted more as a pollinator than a good fruit, and maybe this is why. What you’ve seen is behavior more like PVA than PVNA (i.e., seeds are weakly non-astringent).