Persimmons 2022

A long shot – Did you let any branches grow below the graft?

No, I don’t think so.

VERY nice fruit for a seedling :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My Prok from a potted tree. Too much watering. Did not taste very sweet.

16 Likes

How does Prok compare with H118/early jewel?

I have H118 and really like it — strong American flavor. Is Prok similar?

@ramv
If your question was meant for me, my answer is that it is incomplete. This Prok was too watered down. I will stopping watering the tree and hope the next batch could have improved taste.

My first H-118 (if that was the real H-118) was even a bigger disappointment. The fruit was overripe and tasted fermented. Not sure why that one ripened weeks ahead of the rest. The rest just start to ripen.

2 Likes

Thanks @mamuang.
Don’t give up on H118. It’s really good
Atleast that’s what I tell myself. It lost all fruit this year when it got transplanted in May.

4 Likes

Prok’s really good! I haven’t tasted H-118. I would call Prok w/o any carmel flavoring and a pure, sweet, persimmon, clean & sharp; strong flavor.

4 Likes

Prok is also a super fast grower.

1 Like

look at my post # 112 for picture. Between the two my palate favors H-118 which is more complex compared to Prok but both are very good and absolutely delicious.

4 Likes

Found these near Cloverdale, IN on a hike. The first was on a 6 foot tree and the pair are on a 4 ft tree.

5 Likes

These are from one I found on the Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge years ago and grafted back at my place. The ortet is dead and gone now. Think I have more fun hunting for new ones than eating them.

5 Likes

Was there something particularly good about the ortet? Yours certainly looks like a productive tree!

Top one is my Prok. The second one is Pipher which was discovered by Ralph Krieder in IL. John Gordon told me in an email years ago that it was the seed parent of Prok, which he said was named after Ralph (i.e., Persimmon Ralph Krieder) with a vowel added in. I think Pipher was also one of the main sources of Ken Asmus’ lines.

5 Likes

It was a giant grafted tree on the old Carl Meyers homestead. The fruit is almost as big as Prok but seedier and not as pretty. It and Pipher are firm enough though to hit the ground and not instantly turn into possum food. Carl also had a seedless one that I have as well.

3 Likes

These are L-128A, another big one that starts to ripen with Prok - except over a longer period. Kind of an under appreciated one that should do ok in more Northern areas.

6 Likes

Thanks for your review @Anjeerfarmer ,
I think I will prefer H118. Prok might have to stay in a pot. H118 has a spot in ground.

1 Like

My H118 still has over 150 fruit on it that are at or near full size. I’m fortunate, the reason I have the variety is because its probably the first American persimmon I’ve tasted, and then I asked Jim Gilbert for scion wood.

3 Likes

Bought several persimmons from Cliff England couple of years ago. I thought I picked all the flowers off of them this spring, so they would concentrate on growing. Apparently missed some on a Prok. First time I have tasted an astringent variety.

7 Likes

I have Prok, Valeen Beauty, Lehman’s Delight, and Barbra’s Blush dropping for about 12 days now.
My early drops are never the best. They will all be better in another week or so. Kasandra is turning yellow, but I do not expect it to be ripe until October. Rosseyanka is usually ripe for me in early December.

4 Likes