Persimmons 2022

Wow so exciting! The grafts I did this are doing really well.

1 Like

Kim, they look great …especially for such a lacking heat year!!
Potted or in ground? Size of tree?
I have a Giant Fuyu in ground, under cover, about 4th leaf, no flowers yet.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if it is pollinated since there was some discussion that it may need pollination to hold fruit. I don’t think I have anything that would pollinate it so hopefully it is fine without pollination.

2 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of male hybrids nearby, so it definitely could have been pollinated. I’ll post a follow-up once it’s ripe.

2 Likes

thank you yes it is not the best yesr for us in WA state either. Ill take what i can get. that particular tree is 6-7 ft tall in 20 gal pot. very healthy.

That’s a good point about Maru. I didn’t know that it was also called “Chocolate.”

1 Like

I’ve usually seen Maru referred to as “Cinnamon” and Tsurunoko called “Chocolate.”

2 Likes

I just ate a “chocolate” persimmon that my wife ordered from Weee! I’d ordered some late in the season last year and they were soft and unappetizing. This one was comparable to the bland Jiro often available here in October, but with seeds and dark flesh.

It definitely isn’t the shape of Chocolate.

I’m picking these persimmons off an unknown seedling tree. I had ordered a Miss Kim from Burnt Ridge but it froze back to the rootstock. The persimmons you see here are from the resulting tree. This is the first year that it is bearing. They have an excellent flavor with no astringency even when still rather firm. It has the least astringency of any American I have tried. They do have quite a few seeds.

19 Likes

Are you saying that fruit is from the rootstock of what was intended to by your Miss Kim?

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, it is from the rootstock of the tree. I had intended to graft another variety onto it but never got it done. I’m quite pleased now, since it is my earliest ripening tree as well.

3 Likes

The fruit size seems good. May be a variety worth propagating and spreading around. I would personally love to trade some scionwood for this variety.

3 Likes

Yes, its intriguing. Does it have seeds? What other varieties of American persimmon do you grow?

We have a short season up here. My H118 aren’t coloring up yet.

1 Like

I have Prok, 100-46 and another unnamed variety as well as a couple hybrids. None of my other varieties are ripe yet. Yes, it does have seeds. I’m guessing it was polinated by Prok since that is the only other tree that’s very close.

1 Like

I’ll gladly trade some scionwood with you. just remind me next spring or anytime after the tree is dormant.

1 Like

Prok is a female tree with no male flower. So that is not it. Male flower comes in a cluster of 3 flowers and female is a single flower.

5 Likes

2 years ago, I had some seeds in a few Prok fruits among hundreds. There is no known male within miles. HOWEVER, the rootstock may be male. There were some suckers big enough to flower. So MAYBE it was pollinated by suckers growing from Prok’s male rootstock??? I imagine that the same might have happened here.

1 Like

Thanks for that info Tony. I wasn’t aware of that. @jrd51 Prok is a young tree, bearing for the first time this year so it doesn’t have any suckers. I do have a JT-02 close by that may have flowered but I wasn’t here to check on it. It is also young and doesn’t have any fruit on it. My other persimmon trees are only a couple hundred yards away so it’s possible that it was pollinated by them.

1 Like

Well, it was a guess. I’m pretty sure that JT-02 is all female, so that’s not an explanation.

Do you have wild persimmons near you? Or another gardener with trees?

No, I’m not aware of any wild ones and none of the neighbors have any.