Persimmons 2023

Richard, I disagree, strong law of small numbers. 10 is not enough. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My IKKjiro was a tiny twiggy thing when I planted it this spring. Nice first season growth.

Noticed a splash of color on it today… looks like it is going to be a nice red color in the fall.

Harvested from a couple roadside wild DVs here on my place just now. Small young trees… but producing fruit.

TNHunter

11 Likes

Wait guys, are you telling me my sample size of one with no control group isn’t good science? I’ll prove you both wrong when I publish my results on Facebook and everyone starts suggesting a single daikon to stop fruit drop. I expect it to be more popular than the Tums cure for blossom end rot on tomatoes.

But I will say that if my NG does hold any fruit to maturity next year, I’ll definitely be giving it a daikon for a friend every year just in case.

12 Likes

It’s worth trying anything for NG. It’s one of my tastiest varieties.

4 Likes

Last year I grafted Saiyo onto DV rootstock, twice.

One tree is planted in the ground. That’s a total zone-push but I’m willing to experiment. And though it survived last winter (-7 F) with good protection, I won’t protect it forever and I expect it to die here. Meanwhile, it has not fruited yet.

The other tree is planted in a pot. It set some fruit this year, most of which dropped. But one fruit has ripened, almost. I picked it today figuring that I could ripen it fully on the kitchen counter. This is my first ever PCA Kaki here. Here’s a picture.

12 Likes

My Cheong Pyong tree has 3 different kinds of flowers; male, female, and perfect. The perfect flowers turn into smaller acorn shaped fruit while the female flowers turn into larger fruit that are more oblate.

26 Likes

@zendog
Several members of GrowingFruit will go along with it :rofl:

4 Likes

That’s a really lovely tree - foliage and fruit together are beautiful. Does it taste just like most other astringent types and do you notice any difference in the taste between the big ones and the small ones?

3 Likes

Yes, this tree reliably goes dormant earlier than my others. It had brilliant scarlet fall colors every year for the past 3 years while a lot of others get ratty and defoliate or frost defoliates them before their leaves can change color.

The small ones taste pretty much the same as the large ones. I normally remove all the perfect flowers because the larger female fruit are easier to eat. I kept one to show this tree’s peculiarity. It’s one that also doesn’t turn watery when ripe, and loses astringency with ease. It’s main purpose in my yard is providing pollen, but the fruit are good quality.

3 Likes

I wish I could grow Rojo Brillante in ground. It has large, beautiful fruit. The fall color leaves are yellow/orange, very pretty, too.

15 Likes

My modest Kasandra sample. They all fit into my little persimmon tea bowl. Not too bad considering I thought the tree had died.

18 Likes

Are you Kassandra about the size of Prok? They look a bit bigger, which would be nice.

3 Likes

Most of my Prok were actually larger. It might have the benefit of producing more fruit though as @jrd51 ’s impressive tree showed us last year.

5 Likes

The NG are clones. But you have a valid point about the daikon!.

1 Like

Are the perfect flowers smaller than the female?

2 Likes

The bowl and the persimmons are very beautiful.

2 Likes

Yes!

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So D. kaki, D. virginiana (and hybrids of the two)
are similar to figs in that they are midway between monoecious and dioecious, have cultivars with and without persistence, but differ by having grouchy bark and roots?

3 Likes

My Kassandra fruit are relatively small. I haven’t checked carefully, but I’d guess that they weigh about the same as medium-sized DV fruits such as H63A and Barbra’s Blush. They could certainly be smaller than large DV fruits. The shape is different, as you can see.

It’s true that Kassandra was extremely productive last year, producing >1200 fruits. While that would probably exceed the production of my DV trees, I wouldn’t recommend permitting that kind of harvest. This year all the former fruiting branches were dead and there had been little growth of new fruiting wood last year, so the crop is much smaller – maybe 100-200. I’d recommend using a combination of pruning and thinning to keep the harvest moderate. That’d probably enhance size and flavor too.

4 Likes