Persimmons 2023

I may have missed it, but I don’t think we have a thread for persimmon harvests/tasting yet. I know I’ve seen a bunch in other threads about Americans, hybrids, etc. but I really enjoyed reading through the one from last year with all the persimmon reports in an easy to find thread. So what are you harvesting and how do they taste?

My Prok are done and were better than I expected from the various comments about blandness. I’d eat a bunch more if I had them. 100-46 are about a week off for me on a fairly shaded little tree. Today I harvested my 2 Giboshi, which I hope are pollinated by a Chocolate about 15 feet away. It is supposed to be PVNA, but I’ll wait until they are soft since I just have the 2 of them and don’t want to risk it. I can’t wait to taste them and will report back when I do.

15 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing about your Giboshi. That’s one I grafted this year. PVNA fruit at least from Nishimura Wase are probably my favorite of the Asian persimmons.

3 Likes

Had my first 100-46 of the year today. It was a little astringent, but I loved it anyway.

13 Likes

Saijo

11 Likes

Your Saijo looks way ahead of mine. They’re barely coloring up here. It’ll be another month before any are ready. At least they’re abundant again this year.

Some PCNA selections.

18 Likes

Mouth watering just looking at them Andrew.

4 Likes

Here’s the father of a lot of the seeds within what we see in my garden. Most flowers are male or perfect with only a few females. This early ripening astringent selection also goes dormant before all the other kaki I have. Some leaves are already turning red.

Cheong Pyong

11 Likes

Yeah the birds and I we already had a few of them.

Matsumoto Wase Fuyu ware done about a month ago (only had a few from the grafted branch).
We are enjoying the Jiro at this time and some Saijo.

I’m like Tony, yours are mouthwatering!

3 Likes

Amazing! I can only imagine warm weather kaki.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can only imagine yours once they all ripen!

Question, which variety is the one you have on your hand?

1 Like

I have no Saijo this year and had barely any last year. This was after a bumper crop 2 years ago.
I’m getting disappointed by this large tree that won’t produce. I’ve added grafts of Mikatani Gosho and Gora Roman Kosh to it.

2 Likes

Sorry about yours not producing enough, maybe the other varieties would be better.

1 Like

I planted all of these this year and last fall…

H63A
Kasandra
NB-02
H-120
Mt Rogers
100-42
Mei 2
Morris Burton
Nikitas Gift
Rosseyanka
JT-02
Early Jewel
Red Feather
Hobo Woods

Will add a Yates then im taking a break.

100-46 never really thrived and is DOA… may add it again later.

3 Likes

I think it’s a Jiro of some sort.

@ramv Ram, does it flower then drop the fruitlets, or no flowering at all? There are probably ways to remedy either situation if you like eating Saijo fruit.

4 Likes

Andrew that It is huge! None of mine are that big, I would love that mine ware that big.

@ramv i agree with Andrew, just let me know if I can help.

3 Likes

No flowers and no fruit this year.
Last year was minimal flowers and fruit. Zero drop as far I could tell

1 Like

You can try applying a fertilizer with a higher proportion of P relative to N and K like any generic bloom booster during the summer. Persimmons flower on new growth but I read that flower bud formation occurs the year prior within the dormant buds at the base of the leaves. This approach works for my trees so it might be worth trying to see if you get any positive results.

3 Likes

I haven’t fertilized my trees in a long time. I simply pile on leaves at their base and it turns into leaf mold. That seems to work for my other persimmons right next to it and I get bumper crops.
Is Saijo different from other persimmon trees in any way?

3 Likes

Persimmons are mysterious. I have 2 Saijo next to each other and the one consistently produces larger fruit even though their growth form is identical and the fruit taste identical. They even came from the same source.

Here’s my Saijo harvest from last year.

12 Likes

I have read persimmons have a high incidence of bud sports. I also wonder about rootstock influence on fruit size. There’s so much genetic variation in the seedling rootstocks everyone is using; I’d be shocked if that didn’t influence things like fruit size, dormancy, vigor, etc.

5 Likes