Persimmons 2023

I’d be surprised if it influenced fruit size.

2 Likes

I agree that it’s probably one of the less variable attributes between rootstocks, but choice of rootstock can impact fruit size in apples and pears. I don’t see why persimmons would be an exception.

4 Likes

After letting them sit on the counter for about a week I decided it was time to eat my 2 giboshi. They are smaller in size compared to others I’ve seen in pictures, which isn’t surprising since the tree was only about 3 feet tall when it bloomed. It shot up to about 8 feet tall over the season so hopefully I’ll get some bigger fruit next year. One of the 2 fruit was nice and soft and had that lovely dark PVNA flesh and 3 seeds so was clearly pollinated by the chocolate 15 feet away.

The flavor was really nice and rich with a bit of cinnamon in it. Similar to a few Nishimura Wase (coffee cake) persimmons @PharmerDrewee had shared with me a year or so ago. My only complaint is that there was a little bit of stringiness to the flesh. But since these are first year fruit and very small any taste test should be taken with a grain of salt. The ripe one had 3 seeds.

Since the ripe one was pollinated I decided to cut open the one that was still very firm and see what that was like.

It showed signs of pollination but I was a little worried that one side seemed more orange. I cut it into quarters and ate them in order of darkest to lightest and it was only the last quarter that had any astringency and that wasn’t terrible. There were four seeds, but the lighter side didn’t have any seeds, so hopefully in future seasons they will be fully seeded and it won’t be an issue. The flavor might have been a slight bit richer in the soft fruit, but the flesh of the firm one was more appealing to me and didn’t have any stringiness, etc. It was still firm enough to have a little crunch.

So all in all a very nice piece of fruit and I’m really looking forward to larger future harvests. I removed the few fruit from my chocolate tree since it was even smaller than the Giboshi tree, but I look forward to comparing them side by side in the future. Plus hopefully some other PVNA fruit from my Zengi Maru and Nishimura Wase down the road. Any taste tests from other PVNA types to report. I’m particularly interested to hear other thoughts on Giboshi and any of the Maru varieties.

15 Likes

Great report, Walter. I don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of a pollinated Giboshi before. Those PVNA fruit sure are tasty. My friends all thought Nishimura Wase had a hint of spice and enjoyed the mostly firm fruit this year. It’s nice having persimmons to eat so early too with that variety.

Here’s a ripe on tree Kyung San Ban Si I found just now. It sure is shiny and pretty. The flesh was very pleasantly sweet and held its form despite being soft. There wasn’t a hint of astringency. The bees were busy and helped put 3 seeds in it.

@aap

23 Likes

That’s a nice spoon of gooeyness. Do any of those PVNA varieties have a unique taste without pollination?

3 Likes

Parthenocarpic Nishimura Wase can start to dehydrate in its skin without losing astringency. When they finally do lose astringency as discernible by a clear appearance to the fruit, they are very jammy, extra sweet, and rich. My 100-46 do the same thing while on the tree turning into persimmon candy.

5 Likes

So it’s astringent regardless if it’s pollinated or not?

2 Likes

No, parthenocarpic fruit is fruit formed without pollination. Adequately pollinated fruit will be brown/black fleshed and nonastringent for that variety. I was replying to your specific question.

3 Likes

OK, looks like I had it backwards. Pollinated produces fuyu type and un-pollinated is astingent type. Got it.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. Are you growing any PVNA varieties yet?

2 Likes

No, I’m in fear of infecting the others with seeds. Got enough of those with the Americans. Wanted to see if I could get a PVNA without destroying the others, but it looks like all the unique flavors come with pollination.

3 Likes

That is a beautiful piece of fruit Andrew. I really like the sound of the texture, since I’ve been eating some store bought Hachiya and they are practically liquid inside when they’re ripe.

Do you expect any Masugata (or was it Mazugata?) this year? I’m curious on how they’ll compare since I think in the past you thought they were very similar.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, my Mazugata did not flower this year. I’ve made a duplicate graft onto a potted seedling as a backup since I really enjoyed my samples last year. You are right about its similarities in flesh texture with KSBS. Both are very good in my opinion. The flesh is smooth and not fibrous. The seeds are also small, and easy to remove unlike some which can be quite large like in Saijo.

7 Likes

Harvested 25 from my walmart roadside tree this evening… these are very good persimmons. This is my 3rd year to harvest from it and noticed a nice improvement in flavor this year… a very nice richness like vanilla.

It is a young wild dv… 8 ft tall and wide… and producing 50 or so fruit this year.

11 Likes

That looks like a nice haul! I enjoyed that you described it as vanilla flavored. When I used to sample different wild persimmons in Illinois I used to divide them into 3 categories in my head. Pepsi type (more fruity or caramel like), Coke (more vanilla like), and gross (more astringent or just plain odd).

6 Likes

Not the most amazing American persimmon, but it’s good enough and nice to keep around for breeding work due to it’s acorn-like shape.

12 Likes

I think this is Raven kaki or Huk Kam… :heart_eyes:

Vídeo do Instagram por Food | Fruit | Nature • 26 de Julho de 2023 às 15:37

2 Likes

This Jiro ripened far in advance of the others, splitting in the process. The ants found it before I did!

12 Likes

It was probably damaged, which accelerated the ripening. My Izu that have splits at the calyx are ripening ahead of the others.

4 Likes

New cultivar ‘Galore’ seeds being sold.

Gathered from a single Mother tree that boasts an incredible amount of fruit. Fruit varies in size from medium-to-large, tastes very sweet. This particular tree produces the most fruit I have ever seen from a persimmon tree. I have observed this tree for over a decade.

100 seed for $30

I have bought several times from this nursery and have been happy with the seedlings etc.

If someone orders 100 seeds or 25 or so and wants to pay it forward to me… i only want 10 seeds and will pay you or trade.
If not i may just buy 25 myself and do the reverse.

PM me if either deal sounds good. I dont need 25 seeds regardless.

Alex the owner is a member here.

6 Likes