Persimmons 2023

Short Tour video of Cliff England orchard, persimmons 2023

9 Likes

Kassandra and Prok.
After a couple days in a bag with an apple the Kassandra turn a deep red and not even a hint of astringency. I think the fruit will size up more as the tree gets bigger but these Kassandra make me want to just top work the prok for more of these.

20 Likes

That’s a nice harvest basket.

4 Likes

That is a petal from this banana flower. Bees are all over the nectar dripping out of it.

10 Likes

Banana flowers and fruitlets look neat. Kentucky bananas are pretty wild.

5 Likes

My Prok… grafted this spring… has some nice fall color showing now. My WS8-10… has dropped all but 3 leaves now.

7 Likes

8 days later and my Cheong Pyong has transitioned into fall colors even with days in the high 70’s. It knows to go dormant. The leaves will turn a bright scarlet soon if we don’t get a hard freeze before then.

21 Likes

Small batch persimmon processing for pulp… with a potato ricer. Included are some nice ripe rich tooie and roadside walmart persimmons.

Trying my first run of persimmon pulp fruit leather. 130 deg… 10 hrs… will check them after that.

10 Likes

Great fall color on that Kaki Andrew.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 and @PharmerDrewee
Do your JT-02 leaves turn color yet?

My mostly dropped while somewhat freen and what’s left turned yellow’ ish.

12 Likes

We got a couple nights of frost and the
JT-02 leaves all drop.

If they turned color, would your JT-02 leaves be yellow?

I thought someone said his JT-03 leaves turned red.

How do you get rid of astringency in your JT-02? Last year I put mine in a closed paper bag with apples and bananas, they still tasted a bit stringent.

1 Like

There’s a farmer 5 miles north of here who lets their Hitachis hang in the orchard until mid-January, sometimes later.

2 Likes

Mine still has a lot of dark green leaves, but they have some black spots in them, unfortunately no fruits on it this year. My Prok on the other hand has a lot of yellow leaves.

2 Likes

Your JT-02 leaves looked like mine before dropping.

2 Likes

My Prok has serious black spots on them. JT-02 has some but not as bad as Prok. I assume it is some kind of fungus esp. with the unusually wet weather we have had.

4 Likes

FWIW, my Kaki and hybrids generally have green leaves; my Virginiana have yellow leaves. All show some damage from mold, but I attribute that to senescence. For example, here’re (1) Mikkusu / JT-02 and (2) Prok with various DV grafts.

I should add that these leaves in both photos are all from the same tree. The green Mikkusu / JT-02 leaves are on a graft growing on the DV tree; the Mikkusu grafts (top photo) grow just below the DV branches / grafts (bottom photo). So leaf color is clearly an attribute of the scion not the rootstock.

Mikkusu:

DV mix:

9 Likes

“Leave color is clearly an attribute to the scion, not the rootstock.”.

I do not doubt that. Whatever grows out of the scion variety you grafted on a rootstock i.e. fruit, leaves, etc) should carry the characteristics of the scion, shouldn’t it?

2 Likes

This is a Rosseyanka that is about 10 years old. It has set fruit the last 4-5 years but dropped all of it except for 3 last year. Well this year is a different story, idk what to do with them.

17 Likes

Freeze some and eat them like a Popsicle.

3 Likes