Persimmons 2023

I have been counter top ripening some but the ones on the tree have a way to go. How low of a temp can they take? Last year I picked one right at freezing, one that went down to the mid 20’s and one in the mid to upper teens. The first two tasted the same but the lowest temp one tasted different.

7 Likes

@mamuang – Based on what i’ve seen with other species (e.g., apples), i’ve come to expect the scion to dominate the fruit characteristics. But the rootstock seems to determine growth vigor. I assume that’s because the roots dominate the process of supplying nutrients and water. So when it comes to durability of the leaves in autumn when the DV leaves are behaving as if the DV rootstock is prepping for winter, I honestly did not know what to expect.

3 Likes

My WS8-10 has dropped all leaves now… they were nice and yellow for a few weeks.

Prok above…

JT02 above… grafted this spring… that central leader shoot grew 10 ft this year. It is getting some yellow now.

My IKKJiro, Kassandra, Nikita’s Gift all still have green leaves.

7 Likes

12 Likes

I’m sure those are delicious. But they look a lot like some figs, half rotten. A lot of people won’t try them just based on looks to say nothing of texture.

8 Likes

Yeah, fruits that need bletting aren’t an easy sell here in the US.

7 Likes

I was running low on persimmons… stopped by my walmart roadside tree and collected another dozen.

It has another dozen or so left on it that are still firm… i will be back.

I have eaten fruit from 7 different trees this fall and this is definately one of the best.

16 Likes

Fruitwood has a variety called Webber Blue. Anyone know if they are actually blue or is that just a name?

1 Like

Hi Tippy, here are fall foliage pictures of JT-02.

11 Likes

Glad that the color is yellow. Thank you.

3 Likes

I am unsure about JT-02 ripening time. My potted plant carries fruit that turn orange now but not fully ripen yet. This is 10/31.

If I plant it in ground, it would ripen even later.
Also, last year, JT02 ripened fruit had some astringency to it.

3 Likes

My unintentional companion planting that I hope will convince this Nikita’s Gift to hold her fruit next year.

I left my cover crops a little late this year before cutting them down and wound up with some daikon radish scattering seeds. This one popped up right beside NG. Hopefully when it winter kills (or I chop the top off and drop it there if my winter is mild) the rotting root will feed the soil biome, bring all kinds of organic goodness and available phosphorus to the tree just in time for it to fruit and convince it to hold on until fall. Check with me in the Persimmons 2024 topic to see if this seems to help.

8 Likes

If you did a trial with 10 NGs and daikons, plus another 10 NGs without diakon as a control group – then I’d be interested in the result.

6 Likes

Richard, I disagree, strong law of small numbers. 10 is not enough. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My IKKjiro was a tiny twiggy thing when I planted it this spring. Nice first season growth.

Noticed a splash of color on it today… looks like it is going to be a nice red color in the fall.

Harvested from a couple roadside wild DVs here on my place just now. Small young trees… but producing fruit.

TNHunter

11 Likes

Wait guys, are you telling me my sample size of one with no control group isn’t good science? I’ll prove you both wrong when I publish my results on Facebook and everyone starts suggesting a single daikon to stop fruit drop. I expect it to be more popular than the Tums cure for blossom end rot on tomatoes.

But I will say that if my NG does hold any fruit to maturity next year, I’ll definitely be giving it a daikon for a friend every year just in case.

12 Likes

It’s worth trying anything for NG. It’s one of my tastiest varieties.

4 Likes

Last year I grafted Saiyo onto DV rootstock, twice.

One tree is planted in the ground. That’s a total zone-push but I’m willing to experiment. And though it survived last winter (-7 F) with good protection, I won’t protect it forever and I expect it to die here. Meanwhile, it has not fruited yet.

The other tree is planted in a pot. It set some fruit this year, most of which dropped. But one fruit has ripened, almost. I picked it today figuring that I could ripen it fully on the kitchen counter. This is my first ever PCA Kaki here. Here’s a picture.

12 Likes

My Cheong Pyong tree has 3 different kinds of flowers; male, female, and perfect. The perfect flowers turn into smaller acorn shaped fruit while the female flowers turn into larger fruit that are more oblate.

26 Likes

@zendog
Several members of GrowingFruit will go along with it :rofl:

4 Likes