Persimmons that will ripen in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area)

Fuyu is none astringent persimmon should be ok to eat fresh without waiting to soften rippen Bob.

Thank you, I understand that, the part I don’t understand is, it is not sweet or juicy nor does it look like other persimmon pictures. How long and what does it look, feel and is it juicy when ripe. Both are neither juicy, sweet, very enjoyable at present and even when dark brown are pretty unenjoyable.

Let’s wait for experts commenting . Thank for all pictures uploaded Bob.

Strange. Were the persimmons in the bag in the picture the ones that came in the bag? It looks like a couple of Hachiya on the right with a Fuyu type on the left.

Last year all the Percinnamon brand fruit I found were Hachiya type that were treated to be non-astringent while still hard. They were plenty sweet, but I ate them firm, and wouldn’t expect juicy that way. I don’t know if the treatment prevents them from softening in a nice way or not because I was happy to eat them firm.

Yes the Fuyus came in this container

The others in the bag Hachia you see. I put them all together to ripen.

Hachiya fruit end more pointed looking.

2 Likes

I have to say Fuyu took awhile to ripen. Once it did, it was enjoyable. Haychia as well was good once it ripens almost to a jelly.

2 Likes

I just bought a beautiful Saijo at PCC.

2 Likes

What PCC stand for? Picture please Quill.
You bought Fruit or tree. I really like to buy some Saijo fruit persimmon.

Hi Vincent, I just bought a fruit. PCC is a community market with stores in several cities here. I think the Edmonds store might be closest to you. I shopped at the Burien store - near the airport. If I like it I will get a tree with a gift certificate.

2 Likes

It’s great to see Saijo selling at PCC. I would go buy a bunch if I didn’t have a couple dozen already on the counter.

1 Like

Thank you so much Quill. I will look for to buy. I still have about 20 hachiya just bought yesterday.

Hi Quill
I just come back from PCCC market in Edmond. They do not have any Saijo here except Hachiya .

3 Likes

Made some persimmons jelly today. When it cools off, will let you know how it taste.

1 Like

And yummy it is!!

6 Likes

I grow a few varieties of persimmons from two locations; Tacoma and Eatonville WA. Over 5 years of fruit productions I have never able to consume any fruits off tree. All persimmons are picked each year when trees are bare of leaves; which is about first frost. Izu still need a week of house temperature to ripe. Saijo needs to be boxed with an apple and covered/insulated with thick towels to ripe for a week or so to soften at room temperature. I can testify that rootstock does not determine ripening timing since I have a variety of rootstocks and they all produced and ripen fruits at the same time. Great Wall can be ripen like Saijo but the quality is not as good so don’t waste your space with Great Wall. Looking forward for my Coffee Cake this year. I will try to remember to share 2019 pics. Looking to exchange Chocolate scion wood and Chinese pears.

4 Likes

Great Information!

Eatonville is near a large mountain and much colder than the Puget Sound area, no? Probably why your persimmons aren’t ripening on the tree.
Last year (2017) was colder and we got hit by early frost. My Jiro did not ripen properly. This year was much better.
My neighbor down the road gets Izu to ripen on the tree every year.

2 Likes

The early Americans should ripen earlier than the Asians.
JohN S
PDX OR

2 Likes

My Yates ripened before either Nikita’s gift or Saijo.

1 Like

The Oregon State site recommended early americans in general for the Willamette Valley for this reason, citing their experience that even earlier Asian varieties might not ripen here in some years.
My Early Golden and Garretson ripen starting in late September, and the whole tree is ripened before frost in either case. Seedling varieties nearby ripened much later, November, but completely ripened here before the leaves fell off.

2 Likes