Pictures of some European pears for you

TY, I appreciate the information.

1 Like

@scottfsmith and those who grow Aurora pear, can you let me know if these are Aurora pears?

I want to post here since we have had alot of Euro pear pictures already. Good for reference.

3 Likes

They look correct to me. I just picked mine recently, they are chilling now.

Scott,
How long do you chill them, please? I think I will count at least two weeks from when you picked yours before I picked mine.

They are usually pretty easy to chill, something standard like two weeks usually works. Plus 4-5 days on the counter after.

1 Like

Here are my 2 Arora. They look like yours. I picked mine a.week ago, was worried about losing them and they broke off easily when tilted. I’ll leave them in the refrigerator another week.

6 Likes

These are my Maxine. Close to picking time, I think.

7 Likes

My first Aurora dropped today. Fortunately, I found it before a squirrel or a bunny (not so fortunate with a dropped Ayers)

I think mine are about 2 weeks after yours. I will pick the other 3 tomorrow to save them from animals.

6 Likes

The line up.

Aurora, Maxine and Seckel seem to ripen with 5-7 days of one another.

Ayers is about 10 days earlier.

7 Likes

Add Elliot pear. It is supposed to be another very good pear.

7 Likes

Maxine spent over 3 weeks in the fridge and a few dayson a counter. Taste quite sweet (brix 14). Texture was quite smooth but not as smooth as Aurora or Harrow Sweet.

Overall performance, I would rate my first year Maxine a notch below my first year Aurora which was very nice and smooth.

2 Likes

You broke my heart. Ithought I got enough European pears, but I want a Aurora now

1 Like

To me, Aurora is very impressive with its taste, texture and size.

Wait until I try Elliot, you may need to add both😂

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I revived this thread to help me recall what these Euro pears look like.
Once my pears ripen, I hope to compare mine to these from the Cornell Store (unfortunately was closed).

If you want to post pictures your Euro pears, please do. Tell us how they tastes, too, if you could.

1 Like

I have only baby Euro pears. I am not sure if they are true to label but these “Abate Fetel” baby pears have long neck so there is hope :smile:

@mrsg47 Here are my baby Abate Fetel.

6 Likes

@mamuang

Definately want to try the Elliot pear!

@clarkinks
I can’t remember the taste of Elliot. Possibly my squirrels could tell :confounded:

1 Like

:crossed_swords::chipmunk::crossed_swords::scream_cat:

1 Like

Rocha pear is the Portuguese national pear. It’s very sweet and juicy and it’s delicious! You can eat it more green or matured depending if you like it more crunchy or less but it’s always sweet and juicy.

10 Likes