Pictures of your orchard today

Thanks Clark! It’s getting there….

2 Likes

Only 900 square feet but a little bit of everything.

12 Likes

The Springler is watering the figs for me.

The 12 years old American persimmon with 8 or so Multi grafted varieties are loaded with fruits this year due to crossed pollinating with Jerry Lehman Nikita’s Gift male offspring.

11 Likes

Pawpaw orchard planted out. 146 planting sites, 4 seeds in each. Already have a few early sprouts. Hopefully this will be enough shading.

17 Likes

If I ever wait to mow the lawn, I would never been able to post any photo!!!

When neighbors ask, I’ve told them that I am contemplating permaculture. They don’t seem convinced, unfortunately :grin:

8 Likes

My husbands usually mows and leaves the weedeating to me. As you can see….it’s been a while!

3 Likes

@TTROrchard

Those look really good!

1 Like

That’s impressive are you planning on grafting any or just grow seedlings?

Plan A is to grow the seedlings out. The seeds are all “Select” from really good sources, so I’m interested in what will come forth.

1 Like

Nothing at all wrong with that.

1 Like

Do you have deer? My local Bambis jumped two fences and worked around a wire enclosure to munch on my pawpaw seedlings. I was SO pissed, they are not cheap! I have since laid a perimeter of smashed rotten eggs (I have chickens) along my wood line and they have stayed away (I can tell, because my hostas are not eaten to the ground like they usually are by now). Still not taking chances, though, and will build Bambi-proof cages next time I try them.

2 Likes

I gave up fighting deer. Now I put a personal fence around everything till it’s 6 foot tall or more. Then I just shrink the fence to prevent rubs.

3 Likes

I took some photos this weekend of my pomegranate field - with its 6 new bare spots. Had to give up on a Wonderful. Parfianka. Ambrosia. Eversweet. Agat. And one of my Afganskis.
Sigh. - - - I don’t want to spend time on something that fights me all the time. I have started some of the ones that seem to be doing well, here . . . and they will occupy the ‘holes’.

We still have:
A Large Wonderful
A Large Granada

In the field:
Suhr Anor
Kazaki
Purple Heart - didn’t do well this winter :grimacing:
El Paso (Faye’s Paintbrush)
Phoenicia
Hotuni Zigar
Afganski
Salavatski
Sweet
Kaj Acik Anor
A small ‘mystery’ variety - Maybe Nana?
Nikitski Ranni
Sirenevyi
Sumbar
My starts: Granada#2 and #3 Hotuni#2 KajAcik#2 NikitskiRanni #2

16 Likes

Very nice collection - and yard!

2 Likes

Pomgranny, what’s the one your most priced tree as far as taste, plenty of fruits for its size, than no 2 for pollination? I grew a couple of Wonderfuls, had to give them because they attract stink bugs,they lay their eggs in the fruits.
Very nice, big yard/garden and a professional artist, all beautiful paintings btw.

2 Likes

Thank You, Richard! I appreciate your opinion! Your ‘orchard’ design is one of my favorites . . . with all of your wonderful borders. I always enjoy seeing your photos. - Karen

2 Likes

Hi Bob! Hands Down . . . GRANADA. (or Grenada) However you want to spell it - is my favorite! It sets a lot of fruit, for us. Ripens a little earlier than Wonderful. Similar taste - not quite as ‘astringent’, perhaps. Sweeter. Mine has always had a pollination partner because I had a Wonderful planted in the same landscape bed, that matured before I planted the Granada.

I’ll post photos for you, below.

When the Granada started producing - and before I had the fungal problems . . . it was like a miracle! I never thought we’d get pomegranates. It took years for my plants to set fruit. When they finally did, I looked for other varieties. And I started a ‘grove’ or ‘orchard’ out in the field next to our yard. At one point I had about 25 varieties (I think?) With some of the varieties I doubled up - like Salavatski and Afganski . . . as I thought that having cold hardy poms would be a better choice. The Wonderful that is near my driveway, up by the house, died back one winter. Since then, it has ‘come back’ - and is loaded with fruit this summer. I don’t expect to harvest even a quarter of them . . . as I’m already pulling off the ones with the black calyx areas.

Here are some photos that I took this month.

My poms in the landscape. They are probably close to 20 years old now. ? Wonderful is in the foreground. Granada behind it. Granada is actually much larger than Wonderful. The photos don’t do them ‘justice’ . . . it’s difficult to see all the fruit.

Wonderful. Fruit is very light-colored to begin with.

This one is Nikitski Ranni, I believe. The fruit from that variety is also very good. I like the sweet-tart flavored ones. Granada is a bit sweeter than Wonderful. So is Nikitski and Afganski. Also - Hotuni Zigar has a fabulous flavor . . . and Kaj Acik Anor, as well. We only had a couple of Salavatski’s fruit, so far . . . and if I remember correctly - it is milder than Wonderful, too.
Purple Heart has ‘quite a kick’! I think even a bit tarter than Wonderful.

Nikitski Ranni sets well. So does Afganski and Salavatski. These are all out ‘in the orchard’ and are only 3 and 4 years old (in ground) - so as they mature, I’m sure they will set more fruit.

Right now they are all very pretty. When ‘black’ appears on the calyx or towards the bottoms of fruit - I pull them. It’s always a gamble . . . as to whether they will make it to maturity. :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

PomGranny, just amazing! It’s going to be Grenada! With your knowledge I am confident with advise. Really appreciate it. Next question, where to buy those varieties. Never knew all those varieties exist.

3 Likes

@PomGranny

Those are gorgeous trees! Love how you did the design!

2 Likes

I never knew there were so many varieties, either. !
Remember that old ‘Michigan Bulb’ catalog? I think I bought my first pomegranate plant from them. Year after year I’d buy one . . . and they’d always die. They sent very small ones. They should have been potted for a year and gotten sturdier before being planted in the ground. Who knew?

Then one lived. And that is my large Wonderful in the front of my house. No fruit for YEARS! Maybe 10 years? I had given up. Then one day . . . Lo and Behold - FRUIT! So I looked online and found ‘Fruits and Exotics’ (now Planting Justice, I think.) Or maybe that was Rolling River. ? Anyways . . . I ordered some from Isons. Some from Fruits and Exotics - out of Florida. Some from Rolling River. And some from California. Learning about the ‘Russian’ varieties was very interesting!

The only ones I don’t care for are the so-called sweet ones. I think they are quite bland. Maybe not when grown in CA - or Afghanistan or Israel . . . but the ones that I grew were pretty tasteless.

I would send you a cutting . . . but I’m afraid to share cuttings from my plants, because of the fungus I deal with. I believe that Isons always carries Granada. Salavatski too. If you have room - plant 2. You’ll get better pollination that way.

1 Like