Pictures of your orchard today

23 Likes

Nope. I love it here.

1 Like

What variety is this peach? Very loaded!

1 Like

Have you eaten Ambrosia from your tree? How do you rate it? I sometimes find store bought Ambrosia good.

Beautiful and bountiful. My peach branches broke two years in a row (different branches) when I left too many peaches on them. The branches that broke did not even carry as many peaches like your tree do.

Do you provide support to those branches?

2 Likes

Gorgeous… I have 5 that I planted in the last 2 years… looking forward to hopefully something similar! nice harvest

1 Like

I’ve only eaten store bought myself but I thought they were pretty good. I have Ambrosia grafts on multiple trees and they are all quite healthy and prolific. I’m really excited to try it from my tree.

2 Likes

I am considering grafting it myself; I look forward to your review!

Let me know if you need scions of it next year. I will have plenty.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Will do.

WHERE ARE YOUR SQUIRRELS! You need some of mine?

1 Like

Don’t know, lost the tag! Indeed!!!

Thank you! Sorry to hear about yours, I was a little bit worried about mine but they did fine.

No support, the ground would be the support.

8 Likes

Thank you! Wish you good luck with yours! Keep us posted.

Why did you have to give up on the Ambrosia? Too cold sensitive? Too late cropping? Insects kill it?

1 Like

Hi Alan!
I think perhaps it was too cold here for Ambrosia. And it never set any fruit, that I can recall. We pulled out quite a few of the varieties over the last couple of years. Some just died. Some looked so nasty - struggling and losing limbs. We just wanted to focus on the ones that seemed to thrive in this climate and soil. There are so many to spray and care for, that I don’t mind having fewer trees - that do well.
Wonderful did not have one fruit that matured this year. It set many many fruits, but none of them colored up or got any flavor. That’s a shame, because it is my oldest tree. The Granada right next to it is fabulous. The fruit was amazing this year. And the ones in the field, that I started from cuttings are also setting fruit that mature, now.
All of the others that show promise are WAY behind the Granadas. Salavatski. Afghanski. Hotuni Zigar. KajAcikAnor. Nikitski Ranni. These are the ones that will probably end up staying in my orchard.
I seem to have something that looks like crown rot, too. And entire trunks end up dying. Not the entire tree . . . just a trunk or two. Could be rabbits or some little ‘chewer’ . . . but I never see any rabbits here. ?

2 Likes

It can be very hard to know what to get, and not to get, I myself would never get or suggest the ‘Wonderful’ cultivar in anything less than zone 8b on the east coast, because it crops so late in to the year, one of the latest in the season to crop. Also since there are other cultivators with fruit very similar to Wonderful that crop earlier in the year it’s not like it’s a necessary cultivar to have.

The same thing is true with the cultivars that have the largest fruit, Ambrosia is a great example, the larger the fruit, the slower they ripen, the largest fruit ones would either need to be one of the very early flowering ones, to ripen in time anywhere in the east coast cooler than about zone 8b, or they’d need a head start in a greenhouse.

It appears that most of what I am growing here does not do well here in North Carolina.If it were not for your fungal problems I’d say you are having better luck in your climate, than I am here. I only had major fungus problems here one year. Something is happening in the spring here, that is causing the shot hole borers to attack the in ground ones. One of the plants was attacked two years in a row, the other ones attacked just 1 year, not one pomegranate fruit this year, due to whatever is going on. I think that grubs might be attacking their roots, and then followed by shot hole borers.

The pomegranates in NYC appear to be doing better in NYC than here, and better than for you. I was just wondering about Ambrosia since I was considering it for NYC, yet it does not seem worth it. I wonder if the insects that were attacking it might have stopped it from cropping.

1 Like

This year I had my first Ambrosia off of 2020 grafts in Virginia 6b. They were of a fairly good size, got plenty of color, and I thought they tasted great. I enjoy Ambrosia from the grocery store and these surpassed that.

7 Likes

Awesome, yet to clarify we are talking about the Ambrosia variety of pomegranate, not the apple.

I don’t know, but I believe I’d prefer a Red Delicious (one of it’s parents). Have only eaten one store-bought Ambrosia apple though.