Piñata apple? Who know anything about

Friend of mine has a organic orchard growing this apple variety in Michigan. Suppose to be super delicious.He is going to send me some.

1 Like

I bought some at a local grocery store a few years back. They were sweet and crisp and that is about I remember about them. If an actual fruit tree was available to buy I would get a dwarf version of it in for my yard. I put a note on my fruit growing notebook stating they tasted crisp and sweet.
It is a cross of three great tasting apples, IMO, Golden Delicious, Cox’s Orange Pippin, and Duchess of Oldenburg.

1 Like

That’s good to know, maybe might get a stick or two from him.

1 Like

Found these at the co-op recently – nice apple, definitely something different from the usual offerings. Honey-sweet with spice and banana flavors. Was anyone able to find a source for this? According to Pomiferous it also goes by Corail, Pinova, Pioneer, and Sonata.

Thanks for the information.

Fruitwood nursery sells Pinova. I bought some scion of it this year.

2 Likes

Nice! I’m not ready for grafting projects yet, but I’ll let my cousin know as he may have some space to give a try.

In another thread from several years ago, Matt mentioned the apple tasting videos done in Leicestershire, England, by [quote=“Matt_in_Maryland, post:14, topic:7645”]
Nigel Deacon and Julie Drake
[/quote]. I’ve watched a few of them recently.

In a tasting done in November of 2022, the only two apple varieties scoring 10 out of 10 were Myra and Pinova.

I am guessing that the Myra was the Myra Fuji, although it came to a point and was smaller then Fuji apples I know. Julie mentioned that it tasted very familiar but could not think just what, other than not Gala. Nigel thought it would be a good supermarket apple, which in some parts of the US the Myra Fuji is.

When Nigel sampled the Pinova slice, he called it an immediate 5 and said nothing more needed to be said, although he praised both the taste and the texture. Julie agreed with a matching 5.

Since Nigel usually features obscure English apples that he grows, it was interesting that he was so enthusiastic about two varieties that he had been gifted and didn’t seem to know much about.

1 Like

There appears to be a Myra apple bred by Lubera in Switzerland (as opposed to the Myra Red Fuji found in British Columbia, according to Pomiferous).

Still looks a bit different from the one in the video you shared, but I’m guessing that it’s the Swiss apple.

2 Likes

When I ate Pinata aka Pinova from Trader Joe’s. I have the same opinion @Mike C did. Nothing special.

But tree-ripened ones could taste better. I grafted it this year.

3 Likes